Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:02 PM

45 posts, read 79,095 times

Advertisements

We are a retired young at heart couple who don't drink but do love to eat out almost every night. We love jazz/and all kinds of music.

We don't want a house, maybe a condo. We like the maintenance freedom of a condo as we have now.

My husband loves to take nature pictures, but we arent the outdoorsy types. Is Nashville a perfect fit for us or is somewhere else a better fit?? Open to all suggestions. We could live anywhere in TN. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,134,797 times
It's not to tell from the few things you mentioned but, yes, I think Nashville would fit. Possibly also Chattanooga (I'm not sure what the music scene is like there, but you would probably find enough to keep yourself entertained). The jazz and R&B scene isn't as big in Nashville as country music (as you might imagine), but we do have a world class symphony.

If you come to Nashville for a visit, you might check out one or more of these nature/historical areas for photos: Cheekwood, Radnor Lake, Priest Lake, the Warner Parks, Centennial Park, the Natchez Trace Parkway, the Belle Meade Plantation, the Hermitage, Old Hickory Lake, Long Hunter State Park, the Narrows of the Harpeth State Park.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 PM

7,502 posts, read 17,109,636 times
Honestly, all of the cities in TN fit your bill. There is music through the whole state. Jazz is probably most common in Memphis and Nashville. Those two cities + Chattanooga and Knoxville have great culinary scenes. They're all wonderfully outdoorsy, again in unique ways.

Sounds like you need to take a serious 2-week trip to figure out which parts of TN might 'click' with ya'll. East, West, and Middle TN are all very different.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,548,418 times
What kind of place have you been used to? It sounds like a middle to large city or a resort area is in order. If a resort area there are better choices outside of TN. But otherwise, jabogitlu's advice is sound.

A downtown Memphis condo perhaps on the riverfront or Mud Island would probably do.

And, it's just a personal consideration, but I'm not too crazy about condos. You're responsible for fees and special assessments to pay for not only yours, but everyone else's maintenance and repairs including the common areas. So I'd probably also consider an upscale apartment. That way you're not locked in any longer than you want. Being retired I'd want the freedom to move on and try another part(s) of the country in a few years. That I think would be a fun lifestyle.

A zero lot is another good alternative for an ownership scenario, but without some of the baggage that accompanies condos.

But of course, many do like those condos...

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,280,604 times
I used to live in Maryville but it's been about 10 years since I've been there. I keep in touch with friends so I know it hasn't changed much and it's still a great place to be. I'm looking to get back to that area in the future.
Maryville is a good sized town, more like a smaller city. Knoxville is just right down the road a bit if you want more 'city' things to do. I like Knoxville but I'd rather be in a smaller area. Plenty of nature type things. Go to the mountains which is about an hour drive, cades cove, Gatlinburg, etc.
Not sure about the jazz music. Maryville/Knox area seems to be into country and bluegrass.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
Not so much country in Knoxville. Definitely Americana, bluegrass and Southern rock among other genres. Lot of rock, alternative, punk. Not so much jazz, though.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,382,082 times
Not much jazz in Tennessee. Memphis is Blues. Nashville is Country. New Orleans is the place to be for jazz and good restaurants!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,134,797 times
Nashville is country, but there are also rock concerts and jazz bands around, such as the Nashville Jazz Orchestra: Nashville Jazz Orchestra | Progressive big band jazz with world class arrangements and soloists

But if I were the original poster I wouldn't just look at Nashville, I would look at other fairly large cities that would have a choice of restaurants, music, and housing and some access to natural areas. Maybe even smaller cities such as Asheville, NC if they can flex a little.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,710,680 times
Its hard to answer this one because this is such a large diverse state. East Tennessee has more access to the mountains and all the outdoorsy stuff. Nashville and Memphis will have more music culture that you suggested your looking for in your post. Nashville is a very large and fast growing area, it has a lot of restaurants for you to enjoy. If I were in you situation however I would drive here and visit all of Tennessee from the river in Memphis all the way to Johnson City in the far east. You should know exactly what your getting into before you make any decisions. One thing Ill throw out there is the fact that a lot of retirees seen to like the Cookeville/Crossville areas.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,293,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty222 View Post
We are a retired young at heart couple who don't drink but do love to eat out almost every night. We love jazz/and all kinds of music.

We don't want a house, maybe a condo. We like the maintenance freedom of a condo as we have now.

My husband loves to take nature pictures, but we arent the outdoorsy types. Is Nashville a perfect fit for us or is somewhere else a better fit?? Open to all suggestions. We could live anywhere in TN. Any ideas?
There are two bedroom condos down around ashland city on the water. Tn waterfront condo I think is their website. In the middle of nowhere, but close to nashville, and still in a nearly wooded area, and a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee