Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopp49 View Post
Looking for a little information about the differences in weather and terrain across the state. Contemplating a move from Ohio but gathering info is slow with LOWSPEED internet---reason enuff to move! I see the state is generally defined in three sections but what is the difference in weather? Is one hotter, windier, colder, foggier, cloudier, etc, etc. We are retired and looking for some ground--30-100 acres within say 50 miles of somewhere that has all the stuff we need, but don't want to live next to. Here, I can walk out the back door and start hunting, or drive 15 minutes and shop Walmart or 20 minutes to a first class hospital(us old folks have to think about such things). We have been looking at the Cookeville area, but only because they have had some good pr going on the net and in publications we have seen. Occurs to us that there has to be other good places in Tenn and we may be behind the pricing curve with that area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, very much
You hit the nail on the head, Tennessee is divided into what are called Three Grand Divisions, hence the three stars on Tennessee's flag.

As has been described, West Tennessee is flatter, hotter, poorer, more rural, has fewer job opportunities, and also is prone to more tornadoes than any other region of the state. Just Google how many times the Jackson area has been hit by tornadoes the last few years.

Middle Tennessee is growing the fastest, particularly around Nashville. It's more expensive to buy acreage in Middle Tennessee, but on the other hand because of the growth there are more hospitals, more shopping, more creature comforts than you'll find in West Tennessee.

East Tennessee is much more mountainous. Northeast TN is the coldest region of the state and gets the most snow. Southeast Tennessee (around Chattanooga) is a bit warmer and gets less snow.

The Cumberland Plateau is sometimes referred to as the "4th Grand Division" in Tennessee because it is so unique. It's where you'll find Cookeville, Crossville, Fall Creek Falls, Rugby, and a host of other waterfalls, gorges, and man-made lakes. Because of its higher elevation, its weather is less humid than Nashville even though Cookeville is only an hour from Nashville via I-40. Cookeville and Crossville have large hospitals, Cookeville's hospital is one of the state's 5 busiest heart centers. If you're looking for land, check out Overton, Clay, and Jackson counties where you can find bargains but be in close proximity to Cookeville.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,960 times
Thanks to all for their inputs, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I think we were generally on track but this helped for sure. Have pretty much ruled out the west because of the heat---we want to be warmer, but not roast. Sounds like the midsection will suit us best. We plan on coming on down for a few days in the near future and do a little exploring. Be nice to get away from snow for awhile---we typically get about 100 inches per season. In 58 years, thats a lot of snow Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:09 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,853,825 times
We live in Telford, just outside of Jonesborough, in the Tri-Cities area. It is very beautiful here. Hilly to mountainous and very rural yet only 11 miles from our home to where my wife works at the VA Hospital in Johnson City. I drive 24 miles to Sears in Kingsport, but it is beautiful traffic free drive so I always enjoy it.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM

37,732 posts, read 40,772,892 times
Quote:
Looking for a little information about the differences in weather and terrain across the state. Contemplating a move from Ohio but gathering info is slow with LOWSPEED internet---reason enuff to move! I see the state is generally defined in three sections but what is the difference in weather? Is one hotter, windier, colder, foggier, cloudier, etc, etc. We are retired and looking for some ground--30-100 acres within say 50 miles of somewhere that has all the stuff we need, but don't want to live next to. Here, I can walk out the back door and start hunting, or drive 15 minutes and shop Walmart or 20 minutes to a first class hospital(us old folks have to think about such things). We have been looking at the Cookeville area, but only because they have had some good pr going on the net and in publications we have seen. Occurs to us that there has to be other good places in Tenn and we may be behind the pricing curve with that area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, very much
Wikipedia shows some comparisons between the three regions as far as weather and terrain go:

Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May I suggest the book, Tennessee. It's a Moon Handbook that you can find in the Travel section of any decent bookstore. It won't tell you about living in the 3 regions but it will give you some ideas of cultural and physical (terrain) differences.

I can't advertise the website but if you do a Google search on the key words "city compare" you can compare any two places in Tennessee to each other on things like population, age, income, voting, doctors, housing costs, religion, voting, air and water qualty, snowfall, rainfall, temperatures, number of sunny/rainy days per year, etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

59 posts, read 187,394 times
Quote:
I had to laugh when I saw your bit about good PR for Cookeville. I guess folks must have forgotten about the police shooting of that little harmless dog that made the national news back in 2003.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,774,834 times
Default Tennessee's 3 grand divisions...

The Grand Divisions are geographic, cultural, and legally recognized regions, each constituting roughly one-third of the State of Tennessee.
Grand Divisions (Tennessee) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The eastern division comprises the counties of Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Cumberland, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Polk, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union and Washington.
map

The middle division comprises the counties of Bedford, Cannon, Cheatham, Clay, Coffee, Davidson, DeKalb, Dickson, Fentress, Franklin, Giles, Grundy, Hickman, Houston, Humphreys, Jackson, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Macon, Marshall, Maury, Montgomery, Moore, Overton, Perry, Pickett, Putnam, Robertson, Rutherford, Sequatchie, Smith, Stewart, Sumner, Trousdale, Van Buren, Warren, Wayne, White, Williamson and Wilson.
map

The western division comprises the counties of Benton, Carroll, Chester, Crockett, Decatur, Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Hardin, Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, McNairy, Obion, Shelby, Tipton and Weakley.
map

Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,288,773 times
I can always tell a non-native Tennessean when I hear one at work or on tv or radio. They're the ones who refer to 'Western' or 'Eastern' or 'Central' Tennessee. It's West, Middle, and East. I've wanted to choke many a weatherman and dj while traveling through the state.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,774,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I can always tell a non-native Tennessean when I hear one at work or on tv or radio. They're the ones who refer to 'Western' or 'Eastern' or 'Central' Tennessee. It's West, Middle, and East. I've wanted to choke many a weatherman and dj while traveling through the state.
Interestingly, the grand divisions are officially codified (per TCA 4-1-202) as Eastern, Middle and Western. But in the hills and hollers of East Tennessee, anyone who actually says "Eastern" or "Western" is likely to get a load of rock salt in their britches.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,016 times
Hi, Looking to relocate from south FLorida to maybe knox county. Have friends in Corryton and they love it. Also found some houses in a subdivison called Carter Ridge and Meadows of Millertown. Anybody have some advice. I also have a 9 year old son who plays baseball so I need some advice on any good ballfields. Thanks,Debbie From FLorida

Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,482 times
To On Our Way South,

Tennessee does have a high school rodeo team. Currently there are 94 members from all over Tn,North Al and North Mississippi. Enter Tennessee High School Rodeo in the search bar and you can go to the website. Tn also has jr.high team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee