Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times

Advertisements

I chose North East TN and love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM

61 posts, read 206,879 times
All personal preference but I love West TN!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
I like the mountains of east TN, but do like what the Nashville area has to offer.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I prefer west Tennessee. I am 1 hour from Memphis. 2 hours from Nashville. 3 hours from the Ozarks and Ouachita Mtns for fishing and camping. Real estate is cheaper. The people are friendly and helpful. The people here are very "Southern." And i like "Southern!"

Old 12-29-2009, 10:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I love all of East Tennessee. It's beautiful with it's majestic mountains and forests.

I live in Knoxville and I like its mix of job opportunities with it's affordable cost of living. I love the friendly and accepting people. It's a city that feels like a large town, but our downtown has progressed rapidly in the past several years.

Knoxville Tourism & Sports Corporation | The Official Site of Knoxville

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Thumbs up give me land, lots of land in west tn...

west tn because toward the mississippi river in extreme southwest tn the land is somewhat like the ms delta; however, northwest tn is full of rolling hills, lakes, rivers, forest, swamps, and bogs. also beautiful, idyllic pastoral landscapes. it gets hillier and there are more hollows and rocks the further you go toward the kentucky lake/elkhorn/danville region. paris has several natural springs. from paris all the way down the tn river you will find forest, thick vegetation, deep hollows and sweeping high hills. this continues to the north alabama state line. it is beautiful all year round, but especially the fall and spring. this area is representative of most of aggriarian tn. much of east tn is too rocky and has poor soil, middle tn, well it is pretty and looks like the area i described above; however, the bad thing is that nashville is located in middle tn.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I like the northern part of the state (borders Kentucky and Virginia) in the East and the Middle. I might include the northwest part of the state but I have not been there yet. I have only been to Memphis in the West and that's in the southwest part.

But, liking the northern part of the East and Middle is a "looking at" assessment, not a "living there" assessment. I wouldn't know what it's like to live there.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
As a general rule I think East Tennessee wins the natural beauty category although the Cumberland Plateau, which is largely in eastern Middle Tennessee, is also breathtaking.

I love to travel so being near a big airport with convenient and cheap air fares is important for me. Nashville/Middle TN wins that easily. (It's really one of the only complaints I have about living in East Tennessee.)

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM

219 posts, read 333,989 times
Default can someone explain this to me please.. thanks.

what is the difference between east, west, and middle tennessee?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
Lots of differences...first geographical:

East TN is hilly to mountainous...higher elevation and is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than the western part of the state. The Cumberland Plateau is the dividing line between Middle and East TN. Middle TN is lower in elevation...dominated by 2 rivers (Tennessee and Cumberland). Nashville is in the middle of the state and surrounded by the Highland Rim...basically a large chain of hills on all sides. This area has both rolling hills and flatlands. West TN generally begins at the Tennessee River and is generally very flat. Lots of farms and rural areas here.

Politically speaking, the state has been historically divided. East TN has always leaned heavily Republican going back to the Civil War. In fact, East TN was very loyal to the Union during the war. Middle TN used to be moderately democratic but nowadays Nashville is strongly Democratic but the halo counties around it are pretty strong Republican areas. West TN historically has been staunchly Democratic. Memphis still is, but I get the sense that many of the rural counties are leaning more Republican these days.

There is a sibling rivalry between the three areas. I live outside of Nashville and it seems to me the biggest rivalry is between Nashville and Memphis. Of course, that's because I'm in Nashville. But I'm sure folks to the East might disagree with me on that one.

This wikipedia article on the Grand Divisions of TN might help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee