U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 AM

359 posts, read 1,577,473 times

Advertisements

Very keen observations, I think.

I live in e. Tennessee and go to Asheville frequently. I love Asheville (to visit) and e. Tennessee (to live). For someone else, I would be vice versa. Everyone's gotta find their spot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 AM

37,122 posts, read 38,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLois View Post
Very keen observations, I think.

I live in e. Tennessee and go to Asheville frequently. I love Asheville (to visit) and e. Tennessee (to live). For someone else, I would be vice versa. Everyone's gotta find their spot.
I agree but I think too many people choose a relocation spot based on weather, pretty scenery and cost and those really aren't the things that make you the happiest in the long run or on a daily basis.

The Florida forum (very interesting) has a long-running thread about why people are fleeing that state in droves and from some of those posts, I can tell a lot of those people are going to repeat their mistakes in North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina or Georgia because they still don't know what's important to them, they only know what they are trying to get away from, what their neighbors did and have a fairytale vision of where they're going to.

For example, yeah the mountains are beautiful, but what's that commute like to your job? Are you going to whine the whole time you're in your beautiful mountain spot about the "lack of culture," nearby chain restaurants that don't quite match the big city ones you are used to in variety or artsy-fartsyness? How about the ice going down those mountain roads in the winter in your Prius?

What are you going to do the third week of retirement after spending the last 14 days playing golf and being out in the middle of nowhere in some expensive planned, but pretty, community where outside of the gates, folks have half as much money as you and don't take too kindly to you coming in and trying to change their small town?

Are you going to whimper about "not fitting in" when you moved into a 4-1 conservative, but pretty and cheap, community because people aren't "tolerant" of your opinions about school education, social activities tied to the church and laugh at your crusade against the WalMart you don't work for and never shop at?

Did you ever stop to think if the new beautiful place accommodates you and what you are used to, it's going to turn into the same crappy expensive overcrowded crime infested, but tolerant, place you fled?

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,679,217 times
Smile Greenville Hub ??

T: Sounds like you have "Lot's " of oppitunity vs problems. Maybe pick a central location to rent while all family members decide what neighborhood or who lives together. Maybe get a cabin or RENTAL lodge built on your NC mtn tops, then you still own, use occasionally to enjoy high view. Give yourself a few months to also really find the correct church your family wishes to join, then put down your roots. Either find a real estate agent you trust or yourself or wife should consider. Check private msg .

Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,864,749 times
Again thanks for all replies,

I recently returned from NC, I put my properties up for sale with a realtor. I made an offer on a home near the TN border, but didn't get it, someone else beat me out for it.

I'll most likely do a 1031 exchange for the NC land toward a house and acreage in TN, I'll postpone having to pay Capital gains taxes that way. So once my land sells, I'll have 45 days to find a new property.

Wish me luck in finding a home on acreage in TN, I suppose that it makes sense to buy a large chunk of land with a modest home on it, vice a large home on a city lot, I can always fix up a modest house, kind of hard to grow the land larger though :-)

Tony in WA (soon to be TN - hopefully)

p.s. Wanna buy some view property in NC? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee