Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,998,800 times

Advertisements

I have a decision to make, I own a gorgeous 360 degree view property just outside of Asheville, NC located in Weaverville. The land is 3 acres, with 3 seperate tax parcels, 2 of the tax parcels are adjoining, the 3rd is down the road a few miles. I paid cash for the land, but with the increase in value, I could sell the land for $175k to $200K and buy many acres in Madison county, NC or East TN.

I've always wanted big acreage, but I've also always wanted to have a gorgeous view. What should I do?? Views that is close to Asheville or Acreage Waaaay out in Madison county or TN??

I'd like to live in TN because it's waaay cheaper to live than NC, but in Weaverville I'm only 2 miles to my sister's house. But in TN I'd be closer to my mom.

Ugh, I hate making life altering decisions.

This is already on top of having to make the move from WA state to NC/TN, try and find a job and all of the stress that entails.

Anyway I'm 2 - 3 months from making my move from WA state.

Any thoughts?

Tony in WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 04:14 AM

37,760 posts, read 40,861,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
I have a decision to make, I own a gorgeous 360 degree view property just outside of Asheville, NC located in Weaverville. The land is 3 acres, with 3 seperate tax parcels, 2 of the tax parcels are adjoining, the 3rd is down the road a few miles. I paid cash for the land, but with the increase in value, I could sell the land for $175k to $200K and buy many acres in Madison county, NC or East TN.

I've always wanted big acreage, but I've also always wanted to have a gorgeous view. What should I do?? Views that is close to Asheville or Acreage Waaaay out in Madison county or TN??

I'd like to live in TN because it's waaay cheaper to live than NC, but in Weaverville I'm only 2 miles to my sister's house. But in TN I'd be closer to my mom.

Ugh, I hate making life altering decisions.

This is already on top of having to make the move from WA state to NC/TN, try and find a job and all of the stress that entails.

Anyway I'm 2 - 3 months from making my move from WA state.

Any thoughts?

Tony in WA
Asheville, NC and Eastern Tennessee are as different as night and day, in my opinion. Go where the lifestyle suits you and you think you can afford to live that lifestyle, make friends and find work. You can find nice views in both places. You are lucky to know people who live in both places.

I can promise you this, if you pick wrong between Asheville and Eastern Tennessee, you're going to know it within weeks of your move and be miserable. Have you thought about renting with a short-term lease to get a feel for the area before you make a permanent decision?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,264,890 times
Another thing to remember is that even though the Smokies separate these two towns (Asheville and Johnson City, the Southern city in Tri-Cities) it isn't the entire mountain range. I can get to Weverville NC in about an hour and I am a bit North of J.C.
Look at the roads that connect the two. Hwy 26 from the Tri-Cities and 70 in Greeneville. 70 actually goes through Weaverville to get to Asheville as it merges with 25 just over the TN/NC boarder. Because 70 is more curvy it takes about an hour also even though it is less miles from Greeneville to Weaverville.
You can get land that has both pasture and mountain. Especially in Greene Co.
Hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Asheville, NC and Eastern Tennessee are as different as night and day, in my opinion. Go where the lifestyle suits you and you think you can afford to live that lifestyle, make friends and find work. You can find nice views in both places. You are lucky to know people who live in both places.

I can promise you this, if you pick wrong between Asheville and Eastern Tennessee, you're going to know it within weeks of your move and be miserable. Have you thought about renting with a short-term lease to get a feel for the area before you make a permanent decision?
Thanks for the reply, I grew up in NC (20 + years ago), I know it's changed since then, but I'm comfortable with the area.

I've only been to TN to my mom's house in Jonesborough once, so I don't know anything about TN other than what's she said and what I've seen on here.

I do think that renting is the way to go initially, but rent where in TN? I can rent my sister's house that isn't selling in Weaverville for $1200 per month or rent something, somewhere in TN for ??

Like I said, it's truly stressful, my blood pressure is rising just thinking about making the wrong decision and know it within weeks.

Tony

Old 10-17-2006, 06:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,264,890 times
What kind of house are you looking for to rent? The average rent I believe in and around Tri-Cities area would be $700.00 a month, but if you want an executive type house, you maybe closer to the $1200 range.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
What kind of house are you looking for to rent? The average rent I believe in and around Tri-Cities area would be $700.00 a month, but if you want an executive type house, you maybe closer to the $1200 range.
Hi mbmouse,

Nice hearing from you again, I'd be looking for a 3-4 bedroom 1500 -2000 sqft, but could be flexible on size wise. I've heard that rent is cheaper in TN than NC, but the biggest obstacle is where in TN to rent? JC, Jonesborough, Elizabethon, etc.

It does make sense to rent initially and then buy, I don't mind it, but my wife hates moving. That's mainly because we've been moving every 2 years for the last 20 years.

Also, as was said earlier in this thread, if you make the wrong choice you'll know it within weeks.....that's scary.

Oh well, it could be worse, I think both E. TN and WNC are great, I just Know what WNC is like, but I'm not sure about E. TN and it's the unknown that is adding to the stress.

Take care,

Tony

Old 10-17-2006, 09:11 PM

177 posts, read 897,042 times
The more ground you have, the more weeds that grow

Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 AM

37,760 posts, read 40,861,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I grew up in NC (20 + years ago), I know it's changed since then, but I'm comfortable with the area.

I've only been to TN to my mom's house in Jonesborough once, so I don't know anything about TN other than what's she said and what I've seen on here.

I do think that renting is the way to go initially, but rent where in TN? I can rent my sister's house that isn't selling in Weaverville for $1200 per month or rent something, somewhere in TN for ??

Like I said, it's truly stressful, my blood pressure is rising just thinking about making the wrong decision and know it within weeks.

Tony
This is just my opinion, okay. I spent a week in both places, so take that into consideration. I'm originally from Long Island, NY and currently live in Maryland, about 25 minutes from Annapolis. Ask your sister if she concurs with my observations.

Asheville is full of transplants from big cities who bring big ciy liberal attitudes with them. They have chi-chi restaurants, health food this and that, parking garages and parking issues, a lot of tree huggers, a lot of artsy stores/things, older people still trying to find themselves, a live and let live attitude, no apparent zoning laws or zoning laws that aren't enforced, drum circles, a decent sized gay community, more singles than some places, lovely weather, escalating housing costs, a big tourist population in the summer and an ugly commute if you have to travel up the west side of the city to get to the downtown part of the city. In my opinion, there are a tremendous amount of people who live in Asheville, who aren't from the Asheville area originally. I don't know what happened to the original people of Asheville but I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the people who live there now come from someplace else. Traditional anything is not what they celebrate at their festivals/fairs. Expressing yourself is a big thing. In other words, Asheville is a scaled down version of the bigger cities they left with beautiful scenery added in, and the opportunities that come with that beautiful scenery for recreation. They fight WalMart tooth and nail in Asheville. They appear to have a very good hospital, cultural opportunities and a lot of opportunities to meet people. Not sure about the job situation. Don't think the places outside of Asheville in NC are necessarily like Asheville.

Eastern Tennessee, again in my opinion, has a more traditional conservative-leaning down-to-earth population. I like to call them regular folks. Their stores are more practical, than chi-chi. The restaurants are the same type you find in any suburban neighborhood. Do some research and take a look at what they celebrate at some of their fairs/festivals and compare it to Asheville fairs/festivals to get an idea of what's important to people in each of those locations. Team sports, racing, fishing and hunting is Eastern Tennessee. Flags, state and local, are evident when you drive around. Churches are everywhere. There seems to be more of an emphasis on family and kids than "doing your own thing.". It's cheaper to live in ET than Asheville. People from "flyover country" and those proud to live in "flyover country" and those who want to live in "flyover country" would be comfortable in ET. ET likes WalMart. Eastern Tennessee is a region versus Asheville, a city, so it's hard to compare them on crowding, parking issues.

Asheville Tee Shirt - Peace
ET Tee Shirt - Go Vols!

You didn't say where in Washington you are from but if it's Seattle, and you like Seattle, I think you would be comfortable in Asheville. Again, all of the above is just my opinion. Others who think I'm all wet, feel free to weigh in.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:15 PM

27 posts, read 116,236 times
My personal opinion is More land.
More FLAT land.
I have 2 active boys and I would love to a bunch of land for them to run on.
My wife wants the view but as long as the view isn't horrible, She says she could deal with it.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is just my opinion, okay. I spent a week in both places, so take that into consideration. I'm originally from Long Island, NY and currently live in Maryland, about 25 minutes from Annapolis. Ask your sister if she concurs with my observations.

Asheville is full of transplants from big cities who bring big ciy liberal attitudes with them. They have chi-chi restaurants, health food this and that, parking garages and parking issues, a lot of tree huggers, a lot of artsy stores/things, older people still trying to find themselves, a live and let live attitude, no apparent zoning laws or zoning laws that aren't enforced, drum circles, a decent sized gay community, more singles than some places, lovely weather, escalating housing costs, a big tourist population in the summer and an ugly commute if you have to travel up the west side of the city to get to the downtown part of the city. In my opinion, there are a tremendous amount of people who live in Asheville, who aren't from the Asheville area originally. I don't know what happened to the original people of Asheville but I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the people who live there now come from someplace else. Traditional anything is not what they celebrate at their festivals/fairs. Expressing yourself is a big thing. In other words, Asheville is a scaled down version of the bigger cities they left with beautiful scenery added in, and the opportunities that come with that beautiful scenery for recreation. They fight WalMart tooth and nail in Asheville. They appear to have a very good hospital, cultural opportunities and a lot of opportunities to meet people. Not sure about the job situation. Don't think the places outside of Asheville in NC are necessarily like Asheville.

Eastern Tennessee, again in my opinion, has a more traditional conservative-leaning down-to-earth population. I like to call them regular folks. Their stores are more practical, than chi-chi. The restaurants are the same type you find in any suburban neighborhood. Do some research and take a look at what they celebrate at some of their fairs/festivals and compare it to Asheville fairs/festivals to get an idea of what's important to people in each of those locations. Team sports, racing, fishing and hunting is Eastern Tennessee. Flags, state and local, are evident when you drive around. Churches are everywhere. There seems to be more of an emphasis on family and kids than "doing your own thing.". It's cheaper to live in ET than Asheville. People from "flyover country" and those proud to live in "flyover country" and those who want to live in "flyover country" would be comfortable in ET. ET likes WalMart. Eastern Tennessee is a region versus Asheville, a city, so it's hard to compare them on crowding, parking issues.

Asheville Tee Shirt - Peace
ET Tee Shirt - Go Vols!

You didn't say where in Washington you are from but if it's Seattle, and you like Seattle, I think you would be comfortable in Asheville. Again, all of the above is just my opinion. Others who think I'm all wet, feel free to weigh in.
Pretty keen observations, and from I've seen on my visits home pretty accurate. There's lots of plus and/or minus in your observations, depending on what you want.

I hate going to Seattle, I live in Port Orchard, a ferry boat ride from Seattle. I live in a small town and I HATE traffic!!! I commuted to Seattle for 10 years or so.

I suppose the only way I'll know if I like E. TN is to move there and try it out for a while, I suppose I'd need to rent to see if i liked it.

Thanks

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee