U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 32,203 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Considering a move to Tullahoma (professional health care workers). We're Indian origin, have lived internationally in many different countries and are secular muslims. We mix VERY well with people of all races and ethnicities but obviously worry about biases and prejudices. We have an 8 year old girl.

Considerations:
- acceptance of us in a predominantly white town
- safety / crime in Tullahoma
- schools (public and private) in the area ?
- property prices and taxes
- cost of living (I know there's no state income tax but sales tax is nearly ? 10%)

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:44 AM

6,665 posts, read 12,350,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcadoc View Post
Hi all

Considering a move to Tullahoma (professional health care workers). We're Indian origin, have lived internationally in many different countries and are secular muslims. We mix VERY well with people of all races and ethnicities but obviously worry about biases and prejudices. We have an 8 year old girl.

Considerations:
- acceptance of us in a predominantly white town
- safety / crime in Tullahoma
- schools (public and private) in the area ?
- property prices and taxes
- cost of living (I know there's no state income tax but sales tax is nearly ? 10%)

Thanks in advance.
With your considerations, you really can't do much better than Tullahoma, unless you go to metro Nashville or Chattanooga.

Tullahoma, because of the presence of AEDC and UTSI, has a much higher percentage of educated, and especially higher educated residents than your typical small town. That's not to say educated necessarily = not prejudiced or vice versa, but I do think it helps with the general population's exposure to different cultures. I can't guarantee anything, but if you say you mix well with others, then I imagine you wouldn't have a great deal of difficulty in Tullahoma.

As for your considerations...
-acceptance in a predominately white town -- the people I have known from Tullahoma would likely accept you. I can't speak for the town as a whole, but as far as smaller towns go, I don't think you could make a better pick in this area.
-safety & crime -- Tullahoma is not known to be a dangerous place.
-schools -- don't know of many private, but again, with a more highly educated populace, the public schools are generally better than most small towns. When I attended UT, the Tullahoma crowd was well represented -- moreso than a lot of larger towns.
-property prices and taxes -- I don't have intimate knowledge, but it should be far less than any of the larger cities in Tennessee. If you're looking for property taxes, check here: Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - Property Tax Rates
-cost of living -- yes, we do have a very high sales tax, but no income tax. As for cost of living as a whole, Tennessee generally rates very well for that. That would definitely hold true for the Tullahoma area.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 AM

10 posts, read 32,203 times
Thank you - that's very helpful. You're right, there are prejudices and preformed ideas everywhere, I was just trying to get a general feel. As you said, the more educated a population the more likely they're tolerant although by no means that's a given.

I'll appreciate other comments and thoughts from readers

Again, thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 PM

9 posts, read 13,835 times
Question How Is It Now in Tullahoma?

We are considering moving back to Tullahoma. I am now disabled. When we lived there, I loved the people, my Church, accessibility to Wal-Mart, etc. I have relatives in Murfreesboro, and my daughter wants to live in Tunnel Hill, GA, about an hour away.

I am concerned about the services I get and how they might change. I am on Disability and have Medicaid and Medicare, one of those "dual eligibles" politicians always want to get rid of. I have a care aid to help me with activities of daily living. She can do light housework for me, but not much, if my daughter lives in my home. If not, she might be able to do a little more. I pay a cost share for this. I get Meals On Wheels and the "panic button" [service to call emergency services if needed, but if I don't get a landline, I will lose that].

Does anyone know someone who moved from Georgia to Tennessee who was low income and disabled?

Secondly, I stay on the Internet most of the day [or night, I am an insomniac]. How is Internet in Tullahoma? I do a lot of online gaming and YouTube watching, so I am a heavy Internet user. We currently have cable internet with Mediacom, so we have a 350 GB connection with a quota of no more than 350 GB download. We have gone over a couple times, with a $10 extra fee. I was a computer professional, and using the computer is a familiar habit [I do a lot more than just play games, including some 3D modeling]. Due to my disabilities, some days I can't do anything but go back to sleep. I cannot keep a schedule, so no, I can't work from home. We live in rural GA, and our Internet frequently goes out for a few seconds to a few minutes. Outages are frequent. So I can put up with some of that.

How is Internet service in Tullahoma?

My children are grown, so I don't have to worry with public schools there. I didn't like their attitude. I had trouble writing out excuses, [I was arthritic then] so I would print them off from my PC and sign them. They didn't like that at all! They didn't want any explanations of why my child wasn't at school, either. I couldn't talk to my child's teachers, because they didn't have a PTA or anything similar. This was in 1995. At that time, Internet was very expensive and not that great [knew folks at work with dialup].

I remember Tullahoma as a great place to live and work, generally, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was wonderful for us as a family. I was not happy to move away. I loved the friendly people, and my circle was basically, [not in this order] Wal-Mart, doctor, work, library, home, Church, and getting together with my best friend who lives in Winchester. My daughters loved getting together with their kids.

Hope to hear from some of y'all soon!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:58 PM

6,176 posts, read 4,604,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiamaea View Post
We are considering moving back to Tullahoma. I am now disabled. When we lived there, I loved the people, my Church, accessibility to Wal-Mart, etc. I have relatives in Murfreesboro, and my daughter wants to live in Tunnel Hill, GA, about an hour away.

I am concerned about the services I get and how they might change. I am on Disability and have Medicaid and Medicare, one of those "dual eligibles" politicians always want to get rid of. I have a care aid to help me with activities of daily living. She can do light housework for me, but not much, if my daughter lives in my home. If not, she might be able to do a little more. I pay a cost share for this. I get Meals On Wheels and the "panic button" [service to call emergency services if needed, but if I don't get a landline, I will lose that].

Does anyone know someone who moved from Georgia to Tennessee who was low income and disabled?

Secondly, I stay on the Internet most of the day [or night, I am an insomniac]. How is Internet in Tullahoma? I do a lot of online gaming and YouTube watching, so I am a heavy Internet user. We currently have cable internet with Mediacom, so we have a 350 GB connection with a quota of no more than 350 GB download. We have gone over a couple times, with a $10 extra fee. I was a computer professional, and using the computer is a familiar habit [I do a lot more than just play games, including some 3D modeling]. Due to my disabilities, some days I can't do anything but go back to sleep. I cannot keep a schedule, so no, I can't work from home. We live in rural GA, and our Internet frequently goes out for a few seconds to a few minutes. Outages are frequent. So I can put up with some of that.

How is Internet service in Tullahoma?

My children are grown, so I don't have to worry with public schools there. I didn't like their attitude. I had trouble writing out excuses, [I was arthritic then] so I would print them off from my PC and sign them. They didn't like that at all! They didn't want any explanations of why my child wasn't at school, either. I couldn't talk to my child's teachers, because they didn't have a PTA or anything similar. This was in 1995. At that time, Internet was very expensive and not that great [knew folks at work with dialup].

I remember Tullahoma as a great place to live and work, generally, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was wonderful for us as a family. I was not happy to move away. I loved the friendly people, and my circle was basically, [not in this order] Wal-Mart, doctor, work, library, home, Church, and getting together with my best friend who lives in Winchester. My daughters loved getting together with their kids.

Hope to hear from some of y'all soon!
Coming late to this conversaton, but we used to live in Tullahoma (now live in Idaho). You asked about internet - we used to get our internet from TUB (Tullahoma Utilities Board). Fast and reliable service. Link here: Tullahoma Utilities Board - Internet

Last edited by JMT; 06-22-2014 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Advertising/soliciting is not allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>