Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,492 times

Advertisements

well... I know the word is that its cheaper here than in NJ, but not that much cheaper. I think a one bedroom apartment would be a search for 600 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 PM

95 posts, read 177,842 times
$600 a month barely gets you anything no matter where you live. That is less than my car payment a month. How are you currently managing in NJ if all you can spend is $600?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:50 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The poster above is a bit extreme, but I don't think you'll find a decent house for $600 a month rent in all but the most rural areas, which even then may be pushing it.

Your income is likely going to decline coming to TN. You still have to find jobs unless you work from home or are transferring with the same company and TN is still a very hard hit state. Get a job FIRST and then that can determine where you live and what you can afford.

Yes, TN is going to be "cheaper" than NJ, especially on taxes, but you need to be careful that you don't reduce your income more than your cost of living, and do not move here with no job.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 9,607 times
YES EMG I AGREE wife is transfering with major dollar chain...and im seeing tons of houses in more rural areas for 600-700 per month however....we are trying to get as close as we can to major citties in that price range any ideas folks?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varbaria View Post
good perspective dubb!....we have no choice we're moving...pretty easy going plus i love the woods!...we're all pretty excited about moving live simpler...we couldnt be living any more simle than we are but the wage verses cost doesnt match up.....right now we're looking within 35 miles of nashville....were all the citty folks are moving....lol any advice would be good....we're doing this!...and yall gonna love us out there....how many custom chopper builders are there in nashville!...lol
The towns you mentioned are a bit more than 35 miles of Nashville. They are all fairly small which means you will have to travel to a larger town for employment.
You state your wife can transfer her position. I'm not sure what you mean by a major dollar chain, but you will need to be sure that chain has a location near the town you want to move to and that they indeed have openings. Jobs are not plentiful in rural areas.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 AM

7 posts, read 9,607 times
its bad but its a chance we have to take today we are not making it here....they are circling to shut utilities off anyone thinking of moving to new jersey...get 3 jobs each and if your lucky you will just scrape by and pay your bills....this state has become a hot bed for corruption and tolls,high prices....i been living here my whole life and it sucks

Last edited by varbaria; 10-23-2013 at 05:31 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
There are houses in Memphis for $600/mo, but not in any neighborhood you want to live in! You could probably find a very basic apartment for that much, but it wouldn't be anything wonderful. I'd probably recommend sharing a property with another couple until you get on your feet. Most people here are just scraping by, just like everywhere else.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Nashville is a trendy city so the rents in the area tend to be high.

If your wife is with Dollar General they have stores in even the tiniest communties where rent will be cheaper. If you need near a bigger city maybe somewhere in the eastern part of the state. 600 rent is do-able but the place may need some work.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
I used to be a real estate agent and it seems like lots of people want the same thing. Something rural, but close to town, cheap rent/house payment and in a good neighborhood. The problem is, everyone else is looking for the same thing. OP: If you want a place that has rent or house payments less than $600 per month, you can find it easy. It might not be in the area you want but yeah you can get a place for less than $600 per month. You can pick pretty much any place in rural west TN and the rent should be well under $600 per month. Of course it'll all depends on the property and location. Specifically I'm thinking of Tiptonville, Dyersburg, Union City or Martin. Dyersburg is the largest of those. It's population is around 18,000 so definitely not a bigger city. Any of those places should have rent well under $600 per month. Of course in a bigger city rent will be more. Have you thought about Jackson? It should have cheaper rent than Memphis or Nashville.
Quote:
we are looking into moving to tenn around the waverly,paris,johnsonville area or even camden
Quote:
and im seeing tons of houses in more rural areas for 600-700 per month however....we are trying to get as close as we can to major citties in that price range any ideas folks?
Waverly, Paris, New Johnsonville and Camden aren't near any major cities. You're looking for opposite things here.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 AM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
Have or can you not find a foreclosure, or short sale? There are lots here in the chattanooga and surrounding area for less than what you would pay in rent. I had an email this morning about one in Soddy, needs repairs, but not anything that it isn't livable in right at this moment, includes a pool. Less than 50k. With insurance, taxes , etc, it would be less than $ 600 a month on a 30 yr loan. I would think in 5 yrs time, no problem selling it for more than what you paid.

Look into foreclosures in the area you are looking. Slight repairs could be a bargain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee