Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 AM

283 posts, read 900,341 times

Advertisements

I really don't know anything about Davidson county, but it has been my experience that the closer you are to a metro area, the more likely there will be "restrictions" or "standards" or whatever, on what/how you can build and use your property.

2 acres is very little land, when you consider how densely the neighborhood could be populated by people on 2 acre plots. Raw land requires a lot of money be put into the improvements - well, septic, access road, etc., if you are in an area that doesn't have the infrastructure (city water, sewer). Then, you will have a lot invested in a piece of property you might not be able to sell at a profit when you are ready to move to your ideal location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM

16 posts, read 48,397 times
sassykat&joe, you are right, the closer to a large city the more restrictions there are likely to be. We definitely have to have land without restrictions. We're big-time homesteaders and very into sustainable building, permaculture, etc. so we've got to be able to do what we want with our land.

We plan to purchase raw land as it is generally cheaper. The basic idea is to drill our own well and use composting toilets and a grey water system. Still an investment, but not nearly what it would cost to pay to have someone else drill a well, or have septic tank installed, etc. We aren't ready for energy independence just yet though, so we would have to have power brought onto a lot We're pretty prepared for all that part of the relocating business, as we've purchased land before for the same purpose. But, plans do change!

Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM

283 posts, read 900,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalRay View Post
grey water
I don't remember, so can't pull it up quickly, but when I first started working on developing/improving our vacant land, i read someplace that Tennessee considers ALL grey water to be equivalent to black water. If you are going to use grey water, check on the laws first. Depending on how rural you actually get, you could be pretty stealthy about it, but sure couldn't do it openly.

As an aside - talk about coincidences - we were at the local Goodwill for their 50% off sale days yesterday (yes, we are also yard sale and flea market junkies) and I noticed bumper stickers on a van parked next to us. "Breastmilk for all and circumcision for none" and couple of others on the topics you are interested in - this is in a really rural, conservative, small town where I would have thought they would dismiss these ideas as "all that hippie stuff". So, I guess there is hope for you yet in Tennessee.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
This is a super-long thread, but I think there are some relevant considerations in it for building a sustainable homestead.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...see-story.html

Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM

16 posts, read 48,397 times
Thanks! Laws are definitely something we would have to look at. Midwifery legal there, grey water systems legal here (depending on location) :P It's probably going to be a trade-off wherever we go.

That thread looks really interesting! I will bookmark it to look at later

We're considering moving to Tuscaloosa, AL to be closer to the U so my husband can graduate sooner. (He's technically a senior already, but the Distance Learning program goes really slow.) After he gets his degree we could move anywhere; even out of the south! TN is still one of the top states we're thinking about.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I was going to say South Knox County - but NW Davidson sound promising. I have the impression that the rural areas outside Chattanooga are pretty conservative. There is an intentional community in the Sequatchie valley.

I don't think you are going to get away with the "no septic" option in most of TN. Your best bet is to find a lot with a ramshackle mobile home.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
Default Pikeville tn

Hi there I just wanted to as my input. My family and I have recently moved to pikeville tn to homestead. We bought land that has loads of trees on it for cheap. We choose to live off grid so we don't have to worry ab septic. We use compost toilets and candles. Plan to do gardening, animals, etc. it's great out here and glad we made the choice. Btw - I am a breastfeeding, co sleeping, cloth diapering momma. If you have any questions I'm happy to help looking for like minded folks out this way blessings- candi

Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Clarksville TN opens a new restaurant every month seems like, and we are opening a new 1800 employee Hankook tire plant at the end of 2014. Growing at 5% population per year.

5th largest city in the state, and if these growth rates continue, we'll be 4th before to long.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,045 times
Radical Ray - you may want to also check out Floyd, VA for intentional community. We have a good friend who moved there from SE Arizona and she loves it. We visited her and her partner this past year and can really see why... it's rural, but lovely. Great water, a downtown that is funky and local farmers that really support community.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
We are wanting to move to Waynesboro TN. I am a white woman married to a black man and have bi racial children and grand children. Will I have racial problems in this small town or have problems? We are retired and want to live in peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee