Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchGovernment View Post
I have been doing some online research into Tennessee's new 'universal carding' law for liquor stores. Along with it's 2007 predecessor for beer in "c stores" I find it to be one of the dumbest laws ever enacted. I wish I could understand the true agenda behind these laws because it certainly has nothing to do with underage drinking.

I live in Chattanooga where the law for retail stores has translated into many ridiculous polices in bars and restaurants. Many, many servers believe there is a law requiring them to card everyone when serving alcohol. This is not true.

Sadly, many establishments in Chattanooga live in fear of the local liquor board. Granted, some have been careless and blatantly served underage people - ID or no ID (it happens). However, it is a shame to see businesses living in fear of the government.

Your thoughts?

Jim

Chattanooga, TN
Mod Note: There is already an active thread on this subject. I will merge your thread into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 02:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,574,572 times
Better to ID than to serve alcohol juveniles.....
I'm 68 years old an get ID'd whenever I order alcohol/beer in a restaurant/bar. I have no problem with it. If you have a problem then I suggest you relocate to another state. We have enough drunk drivers and underage drinkers as it is...

Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,299,084 times
Does IDing really have an effect on underage drinking?

I understand if the clerk is unsure of the age, then they should definitely ID...but they should have enough discretion to not have to ID someone that is obviously well past their twenties.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 PM

36,235 posts, read 30,671,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Does IDing really have an effect on underage drinking?

I understand if the clerk is unsure of the age, then they should definitely ID...but they should have enough discretion to not have to ID someone that is obviously well past their twenties.

Probably not. I think it just makes it easier on the clerks for the business to have a policy to ID everyone. That way they don't rely on anyone's judgment or lack thereof.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,299,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Probably not. I think it just makes it easier on the clerks for the business to have a policy to ID everyone. That way they don't rely on anyone's judgment or lack thereof.
It's one thing if it's business policy. It's another if it is state policy.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It's one thing if it's business policy. It's another if it is state policy.

Is it a state policy?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM

16,012 posts, read 21,030,029 times
Yes, state mandates everyone buying retail gets carded, regardless of age.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
It's the law.

Businesses can lose their beer permit if they are caught serving to minors. And servers can be personally cited if they are the one who did it.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:36 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,221,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This.

Minimizes the temper-tantrums from an older-looking teen screaming about how old they are. Clerks can say, "Sorry, it's state law, I'm on camera, if I get caught I'm going to jail, and I'm not going to jail for someone I don't know."

That said, "universal" is a bit extreme. I can understand a law requiring an ID from anyone who looks, say, under 35. But if someone who qualifies for a senior discount wants a bottle of wine but forgot his ID, then he should get a bottle of wine.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
This.

Minimizes the temper-tantrums from an older-looking teen screaming about how old they are. Clerks can say, "Sorry, it's state law, I'm on camera, if I get caught I'm going to jail, and I'm not going to jail for someone I don't know."

That said, "universal" is a bit extreme. I can understand a law requiring an ID from anyone who looks, say, under 35. But if someone who qualifies for a senior discount wants a bottle of wine but forgot his ID, then he should get a bottle of wine.
I remember several years ago , most likely before these this law was in place, going into a restaurant/lounge around the holidays. There was an elderly couple in front of me, I mean gray haired with cane, and the person at the door insisted on seeing their ID. I thought that a bit ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee