Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

I love old 1800s / early 1900s homes, and the ones that are abandoned are my favorites. I always want to buy them and bring them home and set them up on our land. Restore them, but not update them. Just keep them from being lost. There's just so much history in them that can't be replaced and can't be built into a new home. Just think of how many people were born in those places; how many people were married there, kids raised there, people died there. If those walls could talk!

Anyway, on the way home I stopped and took some photos of the old abandoned place at the corner of our road and the little cabin looking shed next to it. I've watched it slowly fall down in places since I've been here. It kills me. I'm going up there some day and walking through and getting photos from the inside before it's totally lost. Until then, here's some from the outside.

The little shed / cabin

This one I pass every day going to / from work. I love the trim on the front porch.

Anyone else have some nice old abandoned places near them to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 03:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I have the same feelings about abandoned homes. I think that they just need to find the right owner to care for them, once again.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have the same feelings about abandoned homes. I think that they just need to find the right owner to care for them, once again.
I told hubby on the way home they just need to be loved again! I'm just totally taken with them and think it's a shame when they're lost. One just got torn down in Centertown that ripped my heart out. Gorgeous two story farm house with a huge front porch that ran the entire length of the place. It was so pretty. They tore it down, ripped out the two massive shade trees that must have been at least 50 years old and put in a Dollar Store. Why couldn't they have at least offered to give it to someone if they'd move it?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Me three, I wish I had the ability to preserve them, put them all together in a quaint little town someplace and live there. Need to throw in a few general stores, an old movie house and that type of thing too. ( I love old movie theatres with glitz and glam, and balconies, fantastic plasterwork, etc.)

There's another thread that was in the house forum a while ago on this same topic that had some neat houses in it. Why do I see so many abandoned old houses????

And this, although this one could make you cry to see all that housing going to ruin.100 Abandoned Houses

Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
That is one gorgeous house. and it looks huge from the outside!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Me three, I wish I had the ability to preserve them, put them all together in a quaint little town someplace and live there. Need to throw in a few general stores, an old movie house and that type of thing too. ( I love old movie theatres with glitz and glam, and balconies, fantastic plasterwork, etc.)

There's another thread that was in the house forum a while ago on this same topic that had some neat houses in it. Why do I see so many abandoned old houses????

And this, although this one could make you cry to see all that housing going to ruin.100 Abandoned Houses

They make me sad. I love the idea of creating a town from them. That makes me happy to think of! If I win a bajillions dollars I think I'll do that and invite all the historic home lovers to live there with me. But you have to love dogs too, because there will be tons of them too!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Last Christmas we went on a train depot tour, Cleveland, Athens, Greenback, etc... The old Greenback depot is fabulous and abandoned. It is privately owned and for sale at one point but it's just going down hill sadly. I would love to restore it and live there, so I consider it an abandoned home I didn't take a digi with me but here are links to it:

Greenback, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.geocities.com/skyprandlarry/index.htm

We also found a great old home up there with smoke houses, lots of sheds, a drying barn and all. The home was at one time a beautiful one. Huge fireplace in the kitchen and many others throughout the home. I wish I had some pics to show you guys. If you ever get up that way, just cruise around.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 9,157 times
I love all these old homes very much. I also would like to fix them back or close to their original state. If I had the money I would do this with some of the houses I've seen. I think about all the people that have been in these houses, they walked on the floors, touched the walls and windows. They came and went through the doors, so many memories of the past. It's so overwhelming to think about this. I love history so very much.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
This one is in a very busy part of Memphis, just down the street from the biggest mall in town. It's obviously in terrible condition, but it's amazing to me that it's still hanging on after all these years.
https://goo.gl/maps/tc1jR

Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM

410 posts, read 802,784 times
I can certainly imagine generations of families living in this home. Oh if the walls could talk. One of my favorite shows is HGTV's Rehab Addict with Nicole Curtis. She takes old home in and around Detroit scheduled for the wrecking ball and brings them back to life. She restores them to what they may have been a 100 years ago. Great show.

Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee