Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,626 times

Advertisements

Myself, my husband, and two boys are looking to relocate to the south and my heart has always been drawn to the mountains. Tennessee seems to be a favorite destination for me. We are "outdoorsy". Love to hunt, fish, and live off the land so to speak. We'd be looking for acreage. We enjoy our space. We're looking for a town that is small and moves at a slower pace. We're originally from Ohio and the closest comparison would be Hocking Hills (such as South Bloomingville). My husbands professional field is dept of corrections and mine is medical office. We like laid back, slow paced, quiet little towns and we don't mind a commute as long as it's not more than an hour. We prefer up in the mountains as well. Does this exist or has it all been commercialized into tourist attractions? I've heard some stories and we are hoping to keep our eyes set on Tennessee. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,189 times
One town with which I am personally familiar that sounds to fit your wish list is Mountain City (pop ~2000) in Johnson County (pop ~20,000) in the mountainous extreme north-east Tennessee. Tennessee Department of Corrections has a large facility just outside Mountain City ( Tennessee Department of Correction - Northeast Correctional Complex ).

A 8,000 acre county and state run off-road recreational "park" just had a "soft opening" a week previously. Due to currently unfinalized insurance issues the opening was limited to hikers and OHV users.

Doe Mountain Trails - Doe Mountain Trails - Doe Mountain Tennessee

You can do info searches with zip 37683 and 37680.

Some links that might be of interest are:

MCO
The Original Johnson County, Tennessee Genealogy Page
Sherpa Guides | Tennessee | The Tennessee Mountains | Watauga Ranger District of Cherokee National Forest
Johnson County Trails Association - Gentry Creek Area
Johnson County High School

Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,820 times
How much acreage are you looking for? You mentioned small town. How small? The Cookeville/Crossville Tennessee area is nice. According to JMT, one of our moderators, Cookeville has great schools that your sons could attend. The population in Cookeville is about 31,000 and about 10,000 in Crossville. Both have hospitals, so you could find work there. I'm retiring in that area, but I'm not there yet, so I can't tell you about correctional facilities where your husband might work. I hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
My mind was running alongside Jim's. Mountain City is definitely a little mountain town with a large corrections facility. It's a good decent ways from anything (25/35 to Damascus and Boone, 45/50 to Elizabethton and Abingdon, an hour+ to Johnson City and Bristol).

Pretty sure there is not a Walmart there, or at least I've never found it. As hunters/gardeners/fishers you'd be welcomed with open arms.

Cookeville/Crossville and Mountain City are miles apart (figuratively). Are you looking for a nice Southern town with decent access to a larger city (Knoxville, Chattanooga or Nashville) - or are you looking to live in backwoods Appalachia? Very different experiences.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
My mind was running alongside Jim's. Mountain City is definitely a little mountain town with a large corrections facility. It's a good decent ways from anything (25/35 to Damascus and Boone, 45/50 to Elizabethton and Abingdon, an hour+ to Johnson City and Bristol).

I have to take some exception to the distances.

From the corner of Main and Church in the center of town, Google maps gives distance to Damascus as 13 to the near side (and 14 to the far side) with I-81 at Abingdon (at Lowes ) as 24.6. From the same spot at Main and Church the distance to the 421/321 intersection in Boone is 24 miles. It's 38 miles to the Exit-7 shopping megalopolis (mess-opolis) in Bristol which seems to be where everyone goes at Bristol anyhow. It's 54 miles to this part of Kingsport. You can't get to Johnson city from there so forget about that anyway and why go to Elizabethton which is really only a Johnson City suburb these days. The hour+ number mentioned works for me regarding JC but I think some of the locals can halve that- or die trying.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,354 times
Winfield, TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee