Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM

31 posts, read 74,257 times

Advertisements

Thanks, CountryGirl2b= and Creeksitter. You make some good points. Thank you. My grandson is 1 year old and I expect more to come. I don't know if my son lives near MARTA but I'll check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 AM

6 posts, read 13,811 times
Lightbulb Nashville or Chattanooga...?

I am considering a blind move to nashville, or chattanooga Tennessee. I have always been fascinated by the state and especially Nashville. After over a year of consideration I am finally ready to make a move. I am looking into chattanooga are also because I feel like the job market is better.. But maybe I'm wrong? I feel that Nashville is a fast city and Chattanooga is a bit more relaxed. Again, I could be wrong. I am conflicted and looking for as much information possible about both areas. I would be moving from northeastern Pennsylvania. 25 years old and looking to wander south.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Glad to hear you like TN.

I would not advise you to make a blind move anywhere.

You need to at least visit both first, and you should have a job lined up wherever you go. What field do you work in?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Im currently in the restaurant industry. I would line up a job before moving. I have an associates in business admin also. I am all about taking risks and exploring the world. Making a blind move is on my bucket list and I believe Tennessee is the place for me. Just looking for advice from someone who lives or has lived there.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli524 View Post
Im currently in the restaurant industry. I would line up a job before moving. I have an associates in business admin also. I am all about taking risks and exploring the world. Making a blind move is on my bucket list and I believe Tennessee is the place for me. Just looking for advice from someone who lives or has lived there.
Ok. Except for a short stint in Manhattan, I've lived here my whole life. "Visit first" is my advice. I'm sure others will chime in for your benefit.

When you say "restaurant industry," are you a server or are you in mgmt? Tourism is a billion-dollar industry in TN. Restaurant and hotel jobs are important in Nashville and to a lesser extent in Chattanooga.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Chattanooga and Nashville are miles apart in many aspects.
Chattanooga is a very Mountainous area whereas Nashville is a bit more flat.
Nashville is bigger than Chattanooga but not by a lot except when you consider the sprawl of suburbs and small towns that are close enough to be considered Nashville which make it much bigger than Chattanooga.
Nashville has a more vibrant downtown area than Chattanooga does.
Both have a major rivers running through them and several area lakes for recreation.
Nashville has a an NFL team which may or may not be important to you.
Nashville has a large music industry which makes tourism a big player.
Chattanooga has some tourism but it pales in comparison to Nashville.
Chattanooga is close(r) to Atlanta which could be a plus.
Chattanooga has smaller cost of living but its pretty close plus TN residents don't pay State INCOME Tax!!
Chattanooga has a bit more country (southern) feel to it IMO. Nashville tries real hard to be Big City IMO.

Both are big enough to keep you interested but small enough to provide a small town feel to them especially if your looking at living in a suburb of either.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 AM

I am a server. I am leaning more toward Nashville but I am from a small towns and not sure if I would like "city life" I need to go where there are job opportunities.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli524 View Post
I am from a small towns and not sure if I would like "city life" I need to go where there are job opportunities.
That's why you should at least visit once.

A bucket list is fun, but moving is an expensive proposition that could be hard to recover from if you decide you don't like your choice.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Rents in Nashville are reportedly skyrocketing. It's likely you'd have to have a roommate (or 2) to get by.

Chattanooga will have more affordable rents.

Can you tell us the reasons you ruled out Knoxville?

I'm of a different opinion. Server jobs are not that hard to find. If you get a sublease or short term rental you could move down, get a feel for the city and move back if you don't like it or don't get a job. Hold off on moving furniture of course. Would you be able to get your old job back after a month's absence?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
You should visit both places and the areas that you can afford to live. Nashville is significantly larger in population and things to do, but also more expensive. Although both metros are only 100 miles apart, there is also a difference in culture, Chattanooga being sleepier Appalachian culture and Nashville being distinctly Mid-south. Both cities have a plethora of tourism attractions, restaurants, and hotels, so finding a server job will not be very hard. You mentioned you are from a small town, so the type of environment will play an even bigger factor in where you choose to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee