U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 AM

12,810 posts, read 36,080,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
There is nothing to do here and people do not like "outsiders". The way of life in the south is totally different from up north.
What an absolutely absurd thing to say. You moved from a cosmopolitan city of 2.7 million to a farming town of 5,000. What did you expect?

As far as "people do not like outsiders," what another absurd thing to say. I don't live very far from you and am an "outsider." I have had zero problems making friends. And among my friends there are of course lots of locals but also people from California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maine, Canada, Tonga, Honduras, Mexico, Brazil, and others. Every one of them is happy as a lark in rural Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 AM

193 posts, read 473,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
What an absolutely absurd thing to say. You moved from a cosmopolitan city of 2.7 million to a farming town of 5,000. What did you expect?

As far as "people do not like outsiders," what another absurd thing to say. I don't live very far from you and am an "outsider." I have had zero problems making friends. And among my friends there are of course lots of locals but also people from California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maine, Canada, Tonga, Honduras, Mexico, Brazil, and others. Every one of them is happy as a lark in rural Tennessee.
It was not my choice to move here, but my husband. I did not live in Chicago but the in the suburbs. I am constantly referred to as a "Yankee" and find that it is very click-ish here and am not alone in my thinking. There is no such thing as "southern hospitality" here either. I miss the north

Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM

6,087 posts, read 10,092,496 times
JMT, I am really surprised by your remark. You live in a college town and I will presume your multinational friends live in nearby rural areas and come to that town to socialize.

Sparta has an attractive little downtown but what does it have to attract outsiders? There may be things dogluver could do to increase social skills but to compare it to a college town seems ridiculous.

You know one of my pet peeves here is people painting states and regions with a broad brush. It works both ways. That's the beauty of city-data, you can ask what cities/towns are more friendly to outsiders. I get your point that the individual attitude matters but some towns will be more welcoming than others. Even when they are close geographically.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM

12,810 posts, read 36,080,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
JMT, I am really surprised by your remark. You live in a college town and I will presume your multinational friends live in nearby rural areas and come to that town to socialize.

Sparta has an attractive little downtown but what does it have to attract outsiders? There may be things dogluver could do to increase social skills but to compare it to a college town seems ridiculous.

You know one of my pet peeves here is people painting states and regions with a broad brush. It works both ways. That's the beauty of city-data, you can ask what cities/towns are more friendly to outsiders. I get your point that the individual attitude matters but some towns will be more welcoming than others. Even when they are close geographically.
Nope. I live in the middle of nowhere, 8 miles from the nearest gas station. My entire ZIP code has only about 600 people. Sparta is a big city compared to where I live, and Sparta is a heck of a lot closer to a university than I am. I have neighbors who just moved down the holler from England and other neighbors from the Midwest (Ohio and Indiana). They love it here. For that matter, I have friends in rural White County (Sparta) from Illinois who've been in White County for over 20 years and have no plans to ever leave. And none of them has anything to do with any university around here.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-07-2016 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM

86 posts, read 95,812 times
We bought a tract of land last April in Sale Creek. What my wife and I found surprisingly pleasant was how friendly everyone in the area is.
We went back to the property in November to walk the boundaries and meet up with a forum member from here. We ended up touring the county side for a couple of hours with him. I also noticed that our new neighbors would wave as they drove by, that rarely happens up north.
Both my wife and I can't wait until we can move there.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 AM

6,087 posts, read 10,092,496 times
That is very interesting, JMT.

Unless you are near Waverly, you can color me surprised. I thought you lived further north. What do you think brings the international contingent to your zip code?

Waverly is an interesting case. I drove through last summer on the scenic route from Franklin to Fall Creek Falls - and must admit it pinged my gentrification radar even just driving by on the highway. The funny thing is I had no idea the town even existed. Then I read the NYT article a few weeks later and it proves that all small rural Tennessee towns are not alike.

How does transplant like Dogluver go about making friends in a small rural community?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM

13,820 posts, read 17,483,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
How does transplant like Dogluver go about making friends in a small rural community?
Not JMT but butting in anyway (is anyone surprised, lol?) but my first suggestion for her would be to quit taking offense at being called a yankee. She is a yankee, so am I, so are lots of other people in TN. It's just a simple statement of fact and everyone who uses that word is not out to hurt or offend or make people feel like an outsider.

Secondly, maybe a realization that cliques are everywhere, small towns to large cities. Unless you move to a neighborhood or community that has a heavy transplant population I think that is something most people have to deal with when they move. If dogluver moved to an area where she doesn't have much in common with the locals (big city surburbanite to small farm town?) that makes things even tougher, but it would be up to her to put herself out there and be proactive in trying to find that common ground if it exists.
Checking with the local library to see if they host groups or clubs or have some kind of community bulletin board for such things might be an idea, also she may need to be open to the idea of trying new things. Maybe singing karaoke at the local VFW could turn into her favorite new pastime.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:59 PM

249 posts, read 581,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
We bought a tract of land last April in Sale Creek. What my wife and I found surprisingly pleasant was how friendly everyone in the area is.
We went back to the property in November to walk the boundaries and meet up with a forum member from here. We ended up touring the county side for a couple of hours with him. I also noticed that our new neighbors would wave as they drove by, that rarely happens up north.
Both my wife and I can't wait until we can move there.
Howdy neighbor. I'm currently building in the south end of sale creek.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,043,161 times
If I could take the cold, Chattanooga would be more my taste. It has a charm about it and has great countryside. I do not care for nightlife, so, my opinion is vacant on that aspect.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,043,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not JMT but butting in anyway (is anyone surprised, lol?) but my first suggestion for her would be to quit taking offense at being called a yankee. She is a yankee, so am I, so are lots of other people in TN. It's just a simple statement of fact and everyone who uses that word is not out to hurt or offend or make people feel like an outsider.
I wish most people would share this attitude, as it only means you are not from the South, there are some differences, yet one is not better than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee