U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 67,472 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, We are considering retiring from "real jobs" and relocating in Tennessee. I love the natural beauty of the state and the lack of taxes. My husband has an art business that is not dependent on location so no problems there. I will probably not work fulltime any more once I move. We will both be around 60 when we do make the switch.

I'd like your opinion on Nashville vs. Chattanooga. We are interested in rehabbing houses, particularly bungalows. We like a city that has festivals, attractive scenery and an active downtown. We probably can afford up to $275,000 for a house.

We are drawn to Nashville because we like the music venues and atmosphere - both Country and Contemporary Christian. Also, I have friends in that area.

We like Chattanooga because it is somewhat between where our two kids live (Dallas and Atlanta). And it is a bit smaller thus easier to get to know people, I hope. I really like the looks of the river, since we both want to finally live near water.

What do you think? All opinions are appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 AM

3,747 posts, read 6,409,001 times
Please note that although TN does not have a state income tax, it DOES have a "Hall Tax" which can hit retirees pretty hard (it hit my Mom) if you have income from investments. DO look into it if you haven't already!

Individual Income Tax

Check out realtracs.com for rehab houses. You may have missed the boat in Nashville in that a lot of people are doing it, particularly in East Nashville. Nashville has over 3 times the population of Chattanooga and I don't think that is counting the burbs. I think Chatt is a nice little town, compact, seems a bit more 'alternative' although there are alternative pockets in Nashville.

Pros for Nashville are the airport, great hospitals/health care/ HEAPS of music - broad spectrum of entertainment possibilities.

Pros for Chattanooga are that's more compact, the river right through town is very inviting, probably cheaper housing. I met someone on a plane who was moving from CT to Soddy Daisy. I think I would move there for the name alone! Although there is an area of Franklin called "Mudsink" which I have always found intriguing.

You will be halfway closer to Atlanta if you move to Chattanooga, but Southwest has almost 20 flights a day to Dallas from Nashville.

I think you will easily find friends either place as you live in a neighborhood in either city. Maybe it comes down to housing stock? Bungalows are hard to find . . .

Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 AM

Here is an example of houses available in East Nashville (I did $250,000 - $300,000) . . . but safety is a block by block thing.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 11-23-2013, 02:07 PM

I really appreciate all of the information you have given me, CountryGirl2b! You must really know a lot about Tennessee. I will take a look at the information on housing you sent me and then consider some more. Thanks again!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 AM

Are you considering any other cities/states??? For me, it was Nashville or Cincinnati (which has some lovely old houses) and I moved from Connecticut, mostly due to the cost of living and more temperate climate. Nashville has been on a few lists of good places to retire.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 PM

6,087 posts, read 10,097,777 times
You will find plenty of bungalows in Knoxville as well as "festivals, attractive scenery and an active downtown". $275K will get you a renovated bungalow.

Good music scene but it is more towards Americana and Rock music. Some country but not like Nashville, obviously. I think there are contemporary Christian performances in the churches.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks, creeksitter. Well, I do love Cincinnati, especially the geography. I'm a bit tired of living where it's so flat.

But when I'm honest with myself, I think that getting closer to my sons is one of my major reasons to move further south. My son in Atlanta is a single father and now that I have a grandson, I want to see him when I can!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM

Chattanooga will be close enough for weekend babysitting on a regular basis so that is a plus.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:39 AM

For what it's worth, housing in Atlanta is very reasonable at the moment . . . .

Also, in case you want a little adventure, Megabus goes from Chattanooga OR Nashville to Atlanta. Takes about 5 hours from Nashville, 2 from Chattanooga. Wifi on board! I just checked for December 10th and the fare is $8 (it fluctuates).

Here's the link:

megabus.com | Now serving over 30 million bus customers in North America

I have other friends who really want to live near their grandchildren and I do understand the appeal, but at a certain point, the kids get into their own 'things' - ballet, soccer, homework - and there is less and less time for trips to the zoo with the Grandparents. Also, YOU need to have YOUR life that does not revolve around a grandchild. Both are considering moving closer to the grandchild but one sees that she has a pretty good life of her own in Cincinnati (grandchild is in Seattle) and is going to stay put. The other is still mulling over a move, noting that her daughter is not going to move closer to Grandma - it's up to Grandma to do the heavy lifting of her own move . . . .

How old is your grandson? I'm thinking around 7 or 8 is when kids really get into their own little social groups, etc?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 AM

I think there are airport shuttles from Chattanooga as well. Does the son live near MARTA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee