Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times

Advertisements

Where we are, just outside of Cookeville, don't have any bad stuff, yet. It is calling for freezing drizzle in the next couple of days, but just went and opened the front door to look, and it is just cold, and raining.

Anybody coming to our neck of the woods should be more concerned with ticks than snakes, or spiders. We have been here just a little over a year, and last summer we had an introduction to Tennessee ticks. I had a couple get me, but luckily, they weren't Deer Ticks. My neighbor up the road wasn't so lucky. She had one on her back, and she had to get treated for Lyme disease. Just have to use common sense in the woods, and wear the proper clothing, and you should be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
How bad did Tennessee get hit with snow from this recent winter storm? I live in northern MN and we got dumped with over 3 feet of heavy wet snow over several days, quite the mess up here. TN is on my list of possible places to move to, as I can not take any more of the snow and cold up here. So I am just curious how bad TN got dumped with snow if any, or ice, etc.? How bad in general are the winters in TN in terms of having to shovel snow, slip on ice, etc?

I used to live near the shores of Lake Superior in Upper Michigan so I know what your weather is like. Ive felt -40 degrees and seen 3, 4 even 5 feet of snow fall in days. Very few people in the US even can understand the level of cold that happens in the upper Midwest. I now enjoy living in the mild/warm climate of east Tennessee and I can say there really is no real winter here. By the standards of the upper Midwest it barely gets cold at all. I don't own a snow shovel, never see snow blowers anywhere and don't really think about snow at all. Once a year you may see a couple inches, but it will melt within a day. Fall and Spring are almost perfect and of course we have a hot humid summer (although not as bad as the gulf coast). If you choose to move here you can forget about the winter you know, that is not even possible here. Twenty years ago there was a blizzard, but like all snow here it melted much quicker than it does up north. That blizzard was the worst case scenario for the south, a foot or more of snow fell across N. Alabama, N. Georgia, E. Tennessee and Western N. Carolina. It crippled this region, but something like this is so rare its not worth worrying about. The only place totally immune from winter in the US is Florida or Hawaii. Everywhere else can receive snow, but south of Mason Dixon the snow never lasts and cold does not either.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 AM

428 posts, read 809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
...I don't feel the need to own a snow shovel either, I don't think most people I know have one either.....
Wow. That just seems so unreal to me being I have lived in MN my entire life, so much shoveling. I think I would have to own a snow shovel just for the heck of it, memories, even if I did not need one!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I used to live near the shores of Lake Superior in Upper Michigan so I know what your weather is like. Ive felt -40 degrees and seen 3, 4 even 5 feet of snow fall in days. Very few people in the US even can understand the level of cold that happens in the upper Midwest....
MINUS 20 on my back porch thermometer this morning, yes -20, and my car has been running 25 minutes now to warm up so I can survive in it while driving to the coffee shop! Yeah this cold weather is getting old, I am ready for a southerly move to escape this!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I moved from Connecticut 3 years ago. The first winter here I remember they had video on the news of Nashville residents using leaf blowers to clear the snow!

I brought my snow shovel with me and used it on Wednesday! To shovel the pile of leaves into the brown bags that the leaf guys pick up! Worked like a charm!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Joe we were tired of snow and cold, too, and lived in a milder winter area than you in upstate NY. We gave away the snow shovels when we moved to our young neighbors who had just moved into their first home and weren't prepared. In the half dozen years or so that we been here we have only really wished we had one exactly once because we had to wait a full 24 hours for things to melt instead of a few. I made due with a garden shovel. You probably would have driven right over it since it was under 6 inches.

When you get here you will find summer is going to be warm and it will last long, fall and spring are also longer and warmer, and winter is a short period of somewhat barely cold temperatures for a couple of months. This year seems to be starting off sooner with cold days than in previous years, but cold snaps are measured in days not weeks. Below zero temps are practically unheard of here in the far eastern side of Tennessee.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Joe we were tired of snow and cold, too, and lived in a milder winter area than you in upstate NY. We gave away the snow shovels when we moved to our young neighbors who had just moved into their first home and weren't prepared. In the half dozen years or so that we been here we have only really wished we had one exactly once because we had to wait a full 24 hours for things to melt instead of a few. I made due with a garden shovel. You probably would have driven right over it since it was under 6 inches.

When you get here you will find summer is going to be warm and it will last long, fall and spring are also longer, warmer and winter is a short period of somewhat barely cold temperatures for a couple of months. This year seems to be starting off sooner with cold days than in previous years, but cold snaps are measured in days not weeks. Below zero temps are practically unheard of here in the far eastern side of Tennessee.
Greatly appreciated information (to everybody here really), also helps greatly to hear from 'northerners' who relocated to TN which seems so far away and foreign to me as a Minnesotan.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
... ... leaf blowers to clear the snow! ..
That is so funny!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Being a former NYer, when we got a few inches a few years back, I went out and cleared the driveway! I know better now. Wait and it will be gone shortly. When I asked at a local store for a snow shovel, the guy said what's wrong don't you have a broom! I'm here north of Nashville and got lots of rain yesterday with just a little icing on my car windows.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
We've got a little bit of ice left on the deck, but nothing I can't step around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee