Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:56 AM

5 posts, read 10,120 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone! I'm a 20 year old girl about to move to Tennessee by myself. I'm from the West Coast, so it is definitely a far move for me. I've visited there a few times and just fell in love with the state! So I figure why not take the jump and try it out for a while? I'm just having a problem finding a place to live that would fit my wants/needs. This is where I could use some help! Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
I wouldn't really like to live in the middle of a big city where I feel completely lost all the time. However I don't think living in a super small town far away from everything would help me adjust either(although I do like the community feel.). So maybe something in between?
I would like to be close to a community college. Or even some universities around. I feel like this would help the chances of being in an area where there are people my age (In their 20's). This is important to me because moving so far away by yourself, you want to have lots of opportunities to meet people! Also with some fun things to do in the area! I love anything outdoors (camping, hiking, shooting, swimming, riding etc.), anything with music, sports, bowling, shopping, movies, gyms etc.
I'm just looking to start a new adventure and meet new people. I'm in a situation that requires a big change and taking some chances. Anywhere with friendly people and a great atmosphere I should be able to make something work.
Several places that were suggested earlier to me was Clarksville TN, Maryville TN, Johnson City TN and Chattanooga TN any insight or thoughts on these places? Any other places that come to mind that you would like to share your experience on? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
You cannot move here without a job. What are your plans for work?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
You absolutely have to have a job before you move here. Incomes are nowhere near the west coast and the job market in most of the state is very poor. You can't come to a state like this on an "adventure." It will end in disaster. Threads like this are why I'm so critical on these boards.

Maryville is a more family oriented town outside Knoxville. It's a good place to live, and will work on your size preference, and you'd be fairly close to UT-Knoxville which is the state's flagship university. Maryville itself doesn't have a community college For a younger person, I'd recommend living in Knoxville itself. That's where the jobs, action, and young people are.

Clarksville is a growing town north of Nashville with a large military presence with a population that I'd guess skews younger. I don't know much about it other than it's growing and has the lowest weekly wage in the state.

Kingsport-Bristol, Johnson City avg. private sector wages down in Oct.

Johnson City and anything in TN east of Knoxville would be nonstarters. The economy is just too bad and you are very far from any major city (four hours to Nashville, three and a half to Charlotte)

Chattanooga and Knoxville are your best options if you want to be close to outdoor activities, have a decent economy, and still have plenty of amenities.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 12-06-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I think Knoxville sounds like what you are looking for. My son is a student at UT Knox and has attended classes at Pellissippi State. He really likes both schools and there are plenty of young people around and Knox is not such a big city that I think you would feel lost. It's actually pretty easy to get around in, and has some nice neighborhoods that have that community feel I think you're talking about.
A job is a big concern, even minimum wage service type jobs can be hard to come by simply because there are so many students/young people in the area all vying for the same thing. I have suggested in the past that getting a job with a national chain in the current location and working there for at least six months might be one way to go. Then inquire about transferring to a new location. That is how I've made most of the moves I've ever done, and it takes a lot of pressure out of the move knowing you have a job waiting for you.
Another concern would be housing. When my son looked for an apartment last year he found that even a small efficiency apartment in a halfway decent area would run between $500- $600 a month, which can be tough to do on minimum wage. He and most of his friends all have roommates in order to cut costs and have a little money left over in order to have some fun. Just something to keep in mind as you do your research.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM

I am not moving with no money or plan! I will have a job and income wherever I go. Although I do appreciate the concern. I have a plan of action, I just need to pick an area so I can start getting set up.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureTime View Post
I am not moving with no money or plan! I will have a job and income wherever I go. Although I do appreciate the concern. I have a plan of action, I just need to pick an area so I can start getting set up.
What is your rental budget? That will affect recommendations.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM

I wouldn't really want to go over 600 a month in rent. But I was thinking about just finding people that need another roommate and renting a room for now.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Sounds like you want a town in the ~50K size with a university. Cookeville fits that bill and is only an hour or so from Nashville.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureTime View Post
Maryville could be nice and is close to the Smokies and recreation and is close to Knoxville and Knoxville has even more amenities than Maryville has. Maryville is a college town and is an very nice place to live. I live just down the road in Seymour, moved from So Cal, and go to Maryville often. Seymour would be too slow for you but Maryville is excellent and is about 3 plus hours to Nashville, 1 plus hours to Chattanooga and about 4 hours from Atlanta. You can be at a beach in SC or FL in a days drive and the gulf is also about the same distance.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
It will be easier to meet young people in Knoxville.

I second the Cookeville suggestion if you want a small town.

Johnson City if you want to be closer to mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee