Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

Then again, he could move to west TN and hopefully the people here will learn what real pizza is. Took a friend from here up to NJ at Thanksgiving and bought her pizza. We were in heaven, she was "hmm, ya, it's different." I don't know if the tastebuds can be taught. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
We have transplants who have opened authentic pizzerias here. You did move to a much more rural area than Nashville, Annie. Just one example:

Joey's House of Pizza – Authentic New York Pizza, Pasta, Subs & More!

Remember: It's not NY/NJ. I'm sure I would complain about the lack of a good ham biscuit if I moved up there.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 PM

I guess I'm due for a different visit to Nashville to find this place. Maybe you can meet me there, Wmsn4Life.

Actually, I am planning a shopping trip to Nashville - specifically to find some of the products I have trouble getting here. I loaded up my car last trip north with cases of cans of tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce but I forgot the cheese! Kraft ricotta cheese doesn't taste quite as good as the brands I'm used to.

But at least I am learning to make some southern foods - I've got the sausage gravy and biscuits as good as any around here. And tonight I'm making fried chocolate pie. OMG, I'm a southern woman now!

Now if someone can just ship me some coffee ice cream.... (Brand name only, please)

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I guess I'm due for a different visit to Nashville to find this place. Maybe you can meet me there, Wmsn4Life.

Actually, I am planning a shopping trip to Nashville - specifically to find some of the products I have trouble getting here. I loaded up my car last trip north with cases of cans of tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce but I forgot the cheese! Kraft ricotta cheese doesn't taste quite as good as the brands I'm used to.

But at least I am learning to make some southern foods - I've got the sausage gravy and biscuits as good as any around here. And tonight I'm making fried chocolate pie. OMG, I'm a southern woman now!

Now if someone can just ship me some coffee ice cream.... (Brand name only, please)
What brand?

At my local Publix, they have Talenti gelato and Kroger has Haagen-Dazs

There's also this place:

Fresh Pasta Ravioli Cheese & Salami Vinegars Olive Oils

and this:

Voted Best Italian Restaurant In Nashville,TN, Great Catering

Where you live really is light years from the Big City. It's part of the "rural trade-off." And people moving here from up north really need to understand that rural in TN means REALLY rural.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Look at the list of pizza places in Knoxville!

Knoxville Pizza Places | Urbanspoon

Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,053 times
Thanks for all the information guys !

Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 PM

I'm specifically looking for Blue Bunny Coffee Break - didn't even see it in Memphis.

I don't like gelato - it isn't ice cream - and Hagen Daz is nice but they don't have coffee flavor around here.

I may moan and crave some things we left behind, but overall, the move to the sticks was the right one for us. Seeing the moon and stars so close at night; going out on the deck and hearing the yotes or the tree frogs serenading us - oh man, sometimes it's deafening - but it's nice. I still get a kick out of "gossip central" which is the local DG - as soon as we've had some new work done on the house, someone asks me about it - lol.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
NY Annie- If you do come to Nashville, definitely visit NY Pie in West Nashville. It's so good.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Sorry if you guys get asked this question too many times but i have never been to TN and know nothing about the state. Me (31) and my fiance (24) are looking to get the hell out of NJ , so over taxed to death and over regulated. Every year i start hating the state more and more , and the people here are either angry/pissed off or in a rush like a robot .

I was raised in Texas for 14 years so i love the south and im tired of the rush rush life in NJ and other things about it. I currently own a pizzeria in NJ so food is what i love , im passionate about it, and always look to make everyone happy. My fiance works for a bails bond office and our plans would be to open up true fresh authentic NY style gourmet pizzas. She could find an office job im sure somewhere.

What i would like is to open my business somewhere with people , shops, business' , hospitals, malls , etc. I need a busy location or a nice busy shopping center. I would prefer somewhere that is not over saturated with pizzerias . I want to be in an area that people support the fresh food from local business owners and not that crappy pre cooked chain food stores.

For living , i dont want to live downtown . I want to have my space and a nice big lot. Budget would be around 300k for a house , and i need an area with good school ratings and least crime as possible. I dont mind a 30-45 minute commute . I also would like to visit some local business' when going out for the weekend so i dont want to be too far from life.

Im not a religious person so keep that in mind , also i was raised to work hard and enjoy life. I am not a fan of people on handouts or lazy people. I want to be in a community/area with people that are hard working like me and enjoy the outdoors. I am very into hiking, biking, fishing , hunting , atvs , camping , lakes , beaches , boats, etc.

I also do have my gun permit license for NJ and i do support my constitutional rights as everyone else should so i dont know how people are around TN about that but i am all about less government .

ANY help is appreciated! I just would like to know what area to come visit rather then trying to drive all over the state to figure out which i would like best.
If I whimper would you open a pizzeria in Oak Ridge?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM

10 posts, read 11,666 times
Hello, I've lived in Tennessee for 22 years, and all over the state as well. If you're looking for something in Tennessee I'd suggest Nashville if you're from a bigger state like Texas. Most of Tennessee I'll be honest isn't what you'd expect in the South. A lot of closing mindedness is often found in the smaller states, as well as people that only take kindly to family at so on. I'm not discouraging you in any way though. Nashville would be a good place if you can't handle that sort of mindset.

If you really do like the south, just be reminded it's a lot different than most Southern states. Honestly, I'd never ask, nor give anyone advice to move here. It seems chill up in Nashville, and it's the only part of Tennessee I can honestly stand even being raised here. Just make sure the 'county culture' is for you before you make that move. A lot of work around here is honestly just temp work, but this mostly for males that don't have kids.

I've never had a full-time job yet, due to the fact I don't have a family, or kids. It's very close-minded, and people in the smaller areas honestly do push religious ideas onto you. If this offends you, it could be a problem. I tend to go a long with it now a days, since I've actually had ice thrown at me, for disagreeing. (In a workplace! haha) Best of luck to ya, cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee