Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM

15,999 posts, read 21,004,099 times

Advertisements

Nah, Michigan Adventure is in Muskegon, which is quite a bit smaller than GR. Not to mention the last time I was in Muskegon it looked to be slowly dying, although admittedly that was a loooong time ago.
I will say that the east TN/ Knoxville area reminded me very much of western MI with the woods, hills, and scattered farmland. Sandy beaches ARE a bit lacking unfortunately, but all in all not a bad trade off.

@Hik- your links all go to google maps, no street view

Last edited by DubbleT; 02-07-2014 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM

13,338 posts, read 39,807,867 times
Count me among those who think that Knoxville is very blue collar. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, as it means there is tons of affordable housing in Knoxville. Blue collar does not equal high crime, either. When I lived in Knoxville I was certainly in the middle of a very blue collar, lower middle class North Knoxville area and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

West Knoxville is definitely posh and polished, but North, East, and South Knoxville can most certainly be described as blue collar. Those parts of Knoxville also have their "hick" elements, but so what? I'd much rather have "hick" neighbors than have insufferable hipsters. Even tony West Knoxville isn't immune; it's almost as if the term "educated redneck" was invented for West Knoxville. But again, who cares? The people of Knoxville, no matter their socio-economic background or educational attainment, are supremely kind, and it is a blessing to live amongst them--all of them.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-07-2014, 03:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,140,347 times
Nothing wrong with blue-collar but I don't consider most of Knoxville to be that way. Certainly at one time but there are not a lot of blue collar jobs in the area, anymore. By that I mean not a lot of factory work. I'm not saying everyone is a doctor or a lawyer but there are a heck of a lot of office jobs. Yes, there are still cashiers and auto mechanics but at best, it is "mixed."

But she said that she heard the area was full of trailers and called it "boondockersy," whatever that means. No, the place isn't NYC or Chicago and certainly not Detroit, praise the Lord. But it isn't the boondocks. Downtown is quite charming, an authentic and larger alternative to Asheville. Yes, I agree that people in Knoxville are very down-to-earth.

By this statement:

Quote:
If it truly is over run with trailers and wife beaters...ew.
Is what I'm responding to. Seemed a bit...well, you know.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM

13,338 posts, read 39,807,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Nothing wrong with blue-collar but I don't consider most of Knoxville to be that way. Certainly at one time but there are not a lot of blue collar jobs in the area, anymore. By that I mean not a lot of factory work. I'm not saying everyone is a doctor or a lawyer but there are a heck of a lot of office jobs. Yes, there are still cashiers and auto mechanics but at best, it is "mixed."

But she said that she heard the area was full of trailers and called it "boondockersy," whatever that means. No, the place isn't NYC or Chicago and certainly not Detroit, praise the Lord. But it isn't the boondocks. Downtown is quite charming, an authentic and larger alternative to Asheville. Yes, I agree that people in Knoxville are very down-to-earth.

By this statement:

Is what I'm responding to. Seemed a bit...well, you know.
I agree, Knoxville proper isn't "boondockery" or full of trailers. But I can definitely see how some of the surrounding areas--including a few areas within Knox County--could be described that way. And there are a lot of guys who wear wife-beaters in Knoxville, at least they did in my North Knoxville neighborhood and all over East and South Knoxville. I don't understand why the OP would be so upset at seeing a guy wearing a wife-beater. I even own a couple and wore them while mowing the lawn, and I was a stuffed-shirt college professor.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-07-2014, 06:23 PM

46 posts, read 61,545 times
From what was described above, it is something I wouldn't mind, in fact would rather enjoy it. Agree with you JMT that blue collar is by far better then hipster. I like the idea of "educated redneck" as you said to. My moms side I guess could fit in that category. I like a little redneck vibe, just without the lack of brains. In my area, the "rednecks" which are very few (the lower class is more urban) really just seem to have empty heads. I'm making my self sound awfully pretentious, but I figure its better to be completely honest when seeking advice.
Also, I should have worded my self a little better. Personally when I think "hicky" I don't think nice. I think ignorant and rude. What Im getting from you two is that is nothing like Knoxville, which only makes me want to move there more! I'd love being able to chat with strangers. Not something I get to enjoy up here.

As for the wife beaters comment, I wear my fathers at home (despite the repulsive pit stains- icky!) I just meant if people wore them out to eat and in less than casual public settings. Personally, I enjoy a nice wife beater to bed or lounging around in big ol' sweat pants. No judgment there (;

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 PM

Maybe I'm being obtuse but I don't understand why you're not digesting all of the wonderful posts in the Knoxville forum. You seemed to seize on one or two that must have been a long time ago - and I bet there was a host of posts refuting it as well.

I've been on this forum almost every day for going on eight years, I remember these things.

Overwhelmingly, there are positive posts regarding Knoxville and the only time it was described that way was by trolls, people that hadn't actually lived in Knoxville. (If I remember it correctly, it was by some gal whose in-laws lived there, while she lived in Delaware or Maryland. She visited Knoxville a few times and then couldn't even describe it correctly. I was pretty sure she actually visited a small town somewhere else. Turned out there were some issues going on which is par for the course for posters that are disingenuous.)

By contrast, there are thousands of posts that describe Knoville far differently. There are also hundreds of photos and of course street view on Google.

And of course there is the question, "Why aren't you asking these questions on the Knoxville forum?"

By the way, you need to really be concentrating on a school that will work for you, a college that has the program that will offer you what you need. Never mind worrying about trying to be pretentious. If you keep wondering about places to live and being passive-aggressive - perhaps unintentionally - you will surely not have the last laugh when you end up with debt and a useless degree.

Maybe I'm cynical but this just isn't adding up so I'm done.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM

46 posts, read 61,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe I'm being obtuse but I don't understand why you're not digesting all of the wonderful posts in the Knoxville forum. You seemed to seize on one or two that must have been a long time ago - and I bet there was a host of posts refuting it as well.

I've been on this forum almost every day for going on eight years, I remember these things.

Overwhelmingly, there are positive posts regarding Knoxville and the only time it was described that way was by trolls, people that hadn't actually lived in Knoxville. (If I remember it correctly, it was by some gal whose in-laws lived there, while she lived in Delaware or Maryland. She visited Knoxville a few times and then couldn't even describe it correctly. I was pretty sure she actually visited a small town somewhere else. Turned out there were some issues going on which is par for the course for posters that are disingenuous.)

By contrast, there are thousands of posts that describe Knoville far differently. There are also hundreds of photos and of course street view on Google.

And of course there is the question, "Why aren't you asking these questions on the Knoxville forum?"

By the way, you need to really be concentrating on a school that will work for you, a college that has the program that will offer you what you need. Never mind worrying about trying to be pretentious. If you keep wondering about places to live and being passive-aggressive - perhaps unintentionally - you will surely not have the last laugh when you end up with debt and a useless degree.

Maybe I'm cynical but this just isn't adding up so I'm done.
I have read TONS of wonderful things about Knoxville, possibly the very few negative things I saw just stuck out to me more? I have a habit of focusing very much on the negative even if there Is ten times more positive. I just worry is all seeing as I would be without family wherever I choose. I would have asked on the Knoxville forum, but I did not start focusing on Knoxville until this was already posted.
I am sorry if I came across as passive aggressive. To be frank, I'm just trying my best to stay civil. I have done a lot of reading on random post on this site, and there seems to be a lot of catty little arguments. I'm just trying my best to be appreciative of all advice that comes my way, weather it be positive or negative, doubtful or encouraging. I'm sorry If I've come across as a troll or naïve, perhaps I am (regarding the naïve part) I am only sixteen, I haven't even finished sophomore year. Studying states and where I want to live is somewhat...relaxing to me? I can't think of a proper word for it. I have an almost OCD habit of planning way far ahead even if its unimportant at the time. It may seem strange, but that's just me. As for schooling, I actually started focusing on Knoxville because of the school. It really stuck out to me (ridiculous out of state tuition though) I don't think a business degree would be useless, and I stated above that's what I aspired for. I think it would be great for the field I want to get into and from what I know as of now, UTK has a great business program.

Again, sorry if I seemed to "not add-up". Possibly because I don't even know what I want yet. Im just planning ahead.

Last edited by StuckinMi; 02-09-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,038,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMi View Post
I have read TONS of wonderful things about Knoxville, possibly the very few negative things I saw just stuck out to me more? I have a habit of focusing very much on the negative even if there Is ten times more positive. I just worry is all seeing as I would be without family wherever I choose. I would have asked on the Knoxville forum, but I did not start focusing on Knoxville until this was already posted.
I am sorry if I came across as passive aggressive. To be frank, I'm just trying my best to stay civil. I have done a lot of reading on random post on this site, and there seems to be a lot of catty little arguments. I'm just trying my best to be appreciative of all advice that comes my way, weather it be positive or negative, doubtful or encouraging. I'm sorry If I've come across as a troll or naïve, perhaps I am (regarding the naïve part) I am only sixteen, I haven't even finished sophomore year. Studying states and where I want to live is somewhat...relaxing to me? I can't think of a proper word for it. I have an almost OCD habit of planning way far ahead even if its unimportant at the time. It may seem strange, but that's just me. As for schooling, I actually started focusing on Knoxville because of the school. It really stuck out to me (ridiculous out of state tuition though) I don't think a business degree would be useless, and I stated above that's what I aspired for. I think it would be great for the field I want to get into and from what I know as of now, UTK has a great business program.

Again, sorry if I seemed to "not add-up". Possibly because I don't even know what I want yet. Im just planning ahead.
At 16, you've got a big leg up on your peers. UT-Knoxville is generally an excellent school, but out-of-state tuition is awful, no matter where you go. Private schools should offer considerably more merit and need-based aid than public, and if you're coming from out of state, I'd apply to private schools first. If you're only 16 and set your mind to it, you can probably get into Vanderbilt if you really want to come to TN.

Given that you're from Michigan, you have one of the best public universities in the country available to you in-state, University of Michigan. A degree in a quality field (accounting, computer science, nursing, etc) from the University of Michigan should carry a lot of heft anywhere you go. If possible, I'd do two years at a Michigan community college, transfer to Michigan, then get my bachelor's from there. This will leave you with considerably less debt than going to an out-of-state public school.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMi View Post
Studying states and where I want to live is somewhat...relaxing to me?
When I planned my move to Florida I really enjoyed the research, too. I love researching anything. Just bear in mind that we are real people on this forum that volunteer this information. We do have lives!

Also, I'm not a homeowner but when you perpetuate some of this stuff and it isn't true, it can really hurt some folks. Not me, if anything I stand to benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
At 16, you've got a big leg up on your peers. UT-Knoxville is generally an excellent school, but out-of-state tuition is awful, no matter where you go. Private schools should offer considerably more merit and need-based aid than public, and if you're coming from out of state, I'd apply to private schools first. If you're only 16 and set your mind to it, you can probably get into Vanderbilt if you really want to come to TN.

Given that you're from Michigan, you have one of the best public universities in the country available to you in-state, University of Michigan. A degree in a quality field (accounting, computer science, nursing, etc) from the University of Michigan should carry a lot of heft anywhere you go. If possible, I'd do two years at a Michigan community college, transfer to Michigan, then get my bachelor's from there. This will leave you with considerably less debt than going to an out-of-state public school.
This, this, this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee