Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 22,746 times

Advertisements

25yrs ago, my husband and I moved to Vermont from Ca. We had 5 wonderful children and we were happy to welcome 5 more (yes, that makes 10 and yes, they are all ours) We are now down to our last 3 who are all in their teens and none of our older kids live here. They have all found better opportunities elsewhere.
Since I'm a SAHM, we just need to consider employment for him and he is a middle manager for an
international semi-conductor company that he really loves and has worked for for 30+ yrs.
Now, we are mature but certainly not ready to retire! However, we really like how accessible Tenn. would be for our grown kids and, let's be honest, winters are a bit longer than we'd like now a days.
My husband loves his 2011 Camaro and enjoys attending car shows and I love walking and knitting and volunteer work.
We love to go camping and I thought that would be a good place to start to also look for a new home while camping.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga all offer great things. Just depends on what you perfer......
Best of lluck in your search.....
We retired from the military and moved to Murfreesboro area in Tennessee 23 years ago, no regrets..

Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin12 View Post
25yrs ago, my husband and I moved to Vermont from Ca. We had 5 wonderful children and we were happy to welcome 5 more (yes, that makes 10 and yes, they are all ours) We are now down to our last 3 who are all in their teens and none of our older kids live here. They have all found better opportunities elsewhere.
Since I'm a SAHM, we just need to consider employment for him and he is a middle manager for an
international semi-conductor company that he really loves and has worked for for 30+ yrs.
Now, we are mature but certainly not ready to retire! However, we really like how accessible Tenn. would be for our grown kids and, let's be honest, winters are a bit longer than we'd like now a days.
My husband loves his 2011 Camaro and enjoys attending car shows and I love walking and knitting and volunteer work.
We love to go camping and I thought that would be a good place to start to also look for a new home while camping.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
You might try something like Seymour (close to Knoxville, but also the Great Smoky Mountains) or Maryville (a little farther from Knoxville, but not much, and even closer to the mountains).

There are almost constant car shows over in the Pigeon Forge area.

Lots of greenways, knitting stores and volunteer opportunities in the Knoxville area.

Not sure how your politics run - or if you even care - but it is a bit purple in the Knoxville core. Out of the cities, it's red. That might be perfect for you, there isn't a law that says that Vermont via California people must be blue.

I'm a left-leaning moderate from Massachusetts and have lived in Tennessee for the past 10 years and love it. I haven't been in the northeast since 1996 and other than the food and some friends and family, I don't miss it.

If you are looking for great schools in our area, Hardin Valley, Bearden, Farragut, West are the ones you want your highschoolers to be in, if you live in Knoxville. Can't recommend any in the Seymour area. If you check out Maryville, the city schools are the best, the county ones are not good at all.

Other option would be Oak Ridge. The high school is slightly better than the best of Knoxville but you are going to be much farther from the Sevier County car shows.

Bear in mind that most country schools in Tennessee are not going to come close to the caliber of those in rural Vermont. Consider the worst school that you know and then lop off 95 points out of 100.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Well, schools won't be a problem as I don't think we would be there before the youngest has graduated and I believe both parties are really saying the same thing they just have 2 different roads to get there and my life raising 10 kids doesn't leave much time to get all into it. LOL!

Anyway, I'll check out your suggestions and really, thank-you!

Old 03-17-2014, 02:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
In the long run, it is all going to come down to where you can find a job or jobs. The larger cities such as Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga will probably be the best places to look.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 PM

So, I'm still looking and as one person did point out.....JOBS! Yes, this will also be important. We were talking once again and my honey has said how much he would like to find a place where we could "walk" more instead of drive to local restaurants, parks and shopping but still be a smallerish community. Any other thoughts?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin12 View Post
So, I'm still looking and as one person did point out.....JOBS! Yes, this will also be important. We were talking once again and my honey has said how much he would like to find a place where we could "walk" more instead of drive to local restaurants, parks and shopping but still be a smallerish community. Any other thoughts?
Consider Johnson City or some of the smaller towns around it, like Jonesborough or Elizabethton. Johnson City is the home of ETSU, so its not as insular as other many other towns of its size. If you're looking for a professional job, that might be a problem, but a job to supplement income should not.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Consider Johnson City or some of the smaller towns around it, like Jonesborough or Elizabethton. Johnson City is the home of ETSU, so its not as insular as other many other towns of its size. If you're looking for a professional job, that might be a problem, but a job to supplement income should not.
The thing is that if the person needs a regular job, any part of TN east of Knoxville is really a no man's land for work. They need to focus on the main job hubs, not areas that are known to be struggling.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Quote:
Consider the worst school that you know and then lop off 95 points out of 100.
OMG, Did you just say that the typical country school operates at 5% level of the WORST Vermont school? It is a wonder our rural children can tie their shoes.

Not that it matters on whit to the OP, but some rural areas in NE TN have great schools.

Maryville is a small town with a great greenway system.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 AM

It looks like Fedex is the biggest employer for the state so I'm guessing he would start a search there for possible employment. I'm guessing that would mean staying in the west of the state like Memphis area now that I'm looking more carefully. Even if something came up sooner I'm thinking I would stay here for a time until they were done. Of course, there is getting this property on the market as well. Guess I'd better get out some paint! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee