Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:00 PM

249 posts, read 657,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wis-ski View Post
Well, I started this adventure almost 2 years ago. Made at least 24 trips in that time; a few were as long as 3 weeks! Now feeling that what I want just doesn't exist for less that 2 million! which is not exactly in my retirement budget. Don't know where to go from here, my list of desires has evolved quite a bit and seems like what I desire is just not available in Tennessee, maybe it just doesn't exist anywhere any longer.
Getting land for <$1000/acre anywhere near a city that can support a cardiac center isn't going to happen. I'm 30 minutes outside Chattanooga and land goes for $5000/acre. I would be surprised if land that cheap near a decent sized city even exists in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 01:21 PM

29 posts, read 56,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Getting land for <$1000/acre anywhere near a city that can support a cardiac center isn't going to happen. I'm 30 minutes outside Chattanooga and land goes for $5000/acre. I would be surprised if land that cheap near a decent sized city even exists in the United States.
Early on in this discussion I did say that that was going to have to change! In 2014, I did find some decent land in that price range but just too many other pieces just didn't fit.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,049,804 times
Quote:
Early on in this discussion I did say that that was going to have to change! In 2014, I did find some decent land in that price range but just too many other pieces just didn't fit.

What are the "new & realistic" desires that you have....

A fair amount of cheap land to just walk out and go hunting near a great cardiac hospital is just not going to happen anywhere I'm afraid...

Old 06-12-2016, 03:56 PM

249 posts, read 657,323 times
Quote:
I just picked up 25 acres for $120k. It's huntable, though a little on the small side for someone who wants to hunt a lot.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 PM

13,341 posts, read 39,848,913 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what all you're looking for other than lots of land, low cost, and near a hospital with a good heart program. Here's something I found just outside of Cookeville. It's 97 acres, under $300k, 8 bedrooms/3 baths, year-round spring, only 8 miles from Cookeville city limits. Cookeville has an excellent hospital with one of the top heart centers in the state, and it's also affiliated with Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville.

10758 Martin Creek Rd, Bloomington Springs, TN 38545 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here's a custom-built log home on 81 acres overlooking the Roaring River just over the Jackson County line north of Cookeville:

1702 Poplar Springs Rd, Cookeville, TN 38501 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here's a 3br/2ba home on 59 acres down the road from Standing Stone State Park just about 20 minutes north of Cookeville:

834 Standing Stone Park Hwy, Hilham, TN 38568 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 PM

JMT, Thanks

I have already checked out 2 of those! Don't know how I missed the other, on Martin Creek Rd! Looks like the best of the three to me.

FYIW,
The one on Popular Spring as nice but property is split up by 2 pretty decent size rivers with no real decent crossing and then it is split even further by one road that actually crosses the property twice! For me these were deal killers

The one on Standing Stone was a nice property. Almost completely surrounded by Stand Stone park! But my big problem was the owner and I just couldn't get together on the survey. I believe that the house, marginally as it is, is really NOT on the property! but is in the park! Just not something I wanted to have to deal with as there was no willingness to help with that survey cost!

Really like the looks of the one on Martin Creek! Will be trying to contact them. Only real concern I have right now is it appears that I would have to cross private land on a drive that passes right by the house in front! Need to find out if it has deeded access.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,718,309 times
Have you looked around Fayetteville? It's a cute little town with a lot of pretty rural land around it. And not too far from Huntsville for medical care.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
What are the "new & realistic" desires that you have....

A fair amount of cheap land to just walk out and go hunting near a great cardiac hospital is just not going to happen anywhere I'm afraid...

Who ever said they were realistic?

Old 06-14-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Have you looked around Fayetteville? It's a cute little town with a lot of pretty rural land around it. And not too far from Huntsville for medical care.

Thanks,I have been focusing on the area east of Nashville out to the Tri-Cities area; especially between Monterey and Crab Orchard. Really like the area, terrain is nit to bad for a guy with a transplanted heart. Will have to take a look at the Fayetteville area. But when I checked out the area earlier, just didn't appeal to me as much as other sections of the state.

Waitng now on a cal back from Tennessee Heart in Cookeville

Old 06-14-2016, 11:43 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,049,804 times
Quote:
Thanks,I have been focusing on the area east of Nashville out to the Tri-Cities area; especially between Monterey and Crab Orchard. Really like the area, terrain is nit to bad for a guy with a transplanted heart. Will have to take a look at the Fayetteville area. But when I checked out the area earlier, just didn't appeal to me as much as other sections of the state.

Waitng now on a cal back from Tennessee Heart in Cookeville

There are some great doctors from Tennessee Heart in Cookeville....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee