U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 AM

60 posts, read 102,979 times

Advertisements

We haven't yet sold our home-acreage in northwest IL and have been surfing the net looking for areas we would like to spend the final third of our lives. We are retired and love the solitude of a rural area with acreage - mostly wooded. My husband hunts and I love to garden. We chose TN because the winters are much shorter than in IL and the property taxes are affordable for us.

The area around Jackson looks promising and we have seen several properties that look like they fit the bill for us. We would love a basement (tornadoes) but there don't seem to be many of those. Also, we want to be within 20 minutes of a town of a decent size for grocery shopping and a medical center if needed. Ideas are appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 AM

24,869 posts, read 23,339,040 times
I would look a little further north, or east of of Jackson. Areas around Big Sandy are wooded, with lots of deer etc.

If you like to deer hunt though, and like NW Tennessee, I would strongly suggest you look at Weakly county. Como, Palmersville, Dresden areas. Lots of homes out there with lots of acres for sale. Many wooded. That and Weakly county has one of the higher deer populations in the state, judging by how many deer vs. the amount of hunters in the area.

I am from North West Tennessee. Union City is my hometown. I have family all of that region of the state. You won't find stuff online regularly, because many of those old farmers out there don't even have a cell phone, let alone a computer with internet to list their property.

I think the best area for you will depend greatly on just how far away from a larger town you want to be.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the response. We are only looking on the internet right now since our place hasn't sold and it would be a 9-10 hour drive each way. We have two labs and 7 barn cats that need tending to and nobody to look after them. Once we sell, we will be much more serious about it and can hopefully get some relatives to stay here for a few days.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:53 PM

Are tornadoes a problem? I went through one in the 60's in northern IN and never want to do that again. We have owned homes with basements ever since. Also, this is a strange question but what about termites? Do we need to have an inspection? In the Chicago area, they don't exist but I know that further south they do.

We have seen a couple of great looking properties (on the internet) with wooded acreage in Hardeman County. I love the hills and lush vegetation. From pictures, I really want to live in Tennessee but life isn't pictures. I will check out the Como, Palmersville and Dresden areas. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,679,065 times
Weakley County, TN Natural Disasters and Weather Extremes

Tornado History Project: Weakley County, Tennessee

Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM

24,869 posts, read 23,339,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBohach View Post
Are tornadoes a problem? I went through one in the 60's in northern IN and never want to do that again. We have owned homes with basements ever since. Also, this is a strange question but what about termites? Do we need to have an inspection? In the Chicago area, they don't exist but I know that further south they do.

We have seen a couple of great looking properties (on the internet) with wooded acreage in Hardeman County. I love the hills and lush vegetation. From pictures, I really want to live in Tennessee but life isn't pictures. I will check out the Como, Palmersville and Dresden areas. Thanks.
Generally, and this is general, the local knowledge is that the river usually weakens storms slightly or changes them so there aren't a bunch of tornadoes.

That said, they do happen. They are generally rare, weak, and very easily survivable.

Ice storms and high wind are usually a larger problem with limbs and trees breaking. Tornadoes do happen, I remember sitting in a friends house years ago when one was basically right across the road.

My grandparents have an inground shelter built next to their house. The water table is high in many of those areas. Union City, for instance, is supposed to only have 9 feet of dirt separating it from an underground aquifer/river. The old folks say when another new madrid quake happens the entire town will sink into it. Not to many basements in that area for those reasons.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM

What is the situation with property taxes? We want acreage and are told that there is some kind of green belt provision in the tax law that says you don't pay taxes on acreage that isn't used for farming. What is the REAL story please?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,679,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBohach View Post
What is the situation with property taxes? We want acreage and are told that there is some kind of green belt provision in the tax law that says you don't pay taxes on acreage that isn't used for farming. What is the REAL story please?
Actually, you have that backwards. The greenbelt provision gives a preferred tax rate for folks that use their acreage for farming, use the land for forestry or be open space land that is used by the public.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 AM

32,077 posts, read 26,434,392 times
West TN outside of Memphis is very rural. If you are looking for very rural living for hunting and don't need an easy way to a major city, it may be a good move. Jackson has significant crime issues. I wouldn't advise living there.

Tornadoes are probably at least a yearly happening in this part of TN. Western and middle TN are far more vulnerable than the east side of the state where I'm from. Summers in west TN are going to be considerably hotter than in the eastern third of the state, winters should be warmer, with the weather more violent and variable overall.

The odds of being hit by a tornado are incredibly slim. "West TN" covers a lot of square mileage and tornadoes are not picky about where they touch down. With that part of the state being so rural, tornadoes are frequently touching down on vacant land where no one knows or cares. The odds of your house being in a dead-on hit are slim, no matter where you are.

Here is some info on Weakley County property taxes. If you find something you are interested in, I would contact the county tax office to get exact numbers.

Weakley County Property Assessor Rates

Old 05-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks so much for the information. We have seen lots of very interesting properties with wooded acreage but haven't visited yet. Until we sell our land and home here, we probably won't make a trip. So - all of the information you are responding with is very helpful. We have seen some very interesting listings around Huntingdon, and Paris. I will now do a search for Weakley County.

BTW, we are in our 70's so a move like this is a big deal considering our ages. We plan to be around for another 20 years, but who knows. We want rural and secluded but want to be 15-20 minutes from a town with a Walmart for groceries and medical facilities that we might need in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee