Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 12:51 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times

Advertisements

Hi

My wife likes TN and would like to retire down around Gatlinburg/Smokeys/Pigeon Forge. I don't really care for the sophisticated hillbilly state. (prefer Kentucky) I was wondering if anyone from this general area can give me some info on trends-are alot of people moving in the area? (don't want to be where everyone is flocking). How are the jobs? What are some places we could get some land and be somewhat isolated? Heck, we're even considering looking around the N.C side of the Smokies.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 12:59 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Hi Blue Grass Fever,
I lived in the Knoxville area for 12 years. East Tennessee is a beautiful place to live and not very expensive either.
I will tell you that Pigeon Forge/Seveirville area is very crowded. A whole lot of tourists. Bumper to bumper traffic year round.
There is a place past Gatlinburg named Cosby and it is more isolated. If you stay out of the touristy parts of gatlinburg, it is okay. Jobs are more service type jobs and cater to the tourists. Townsend is the gateway to the smokies but is not as isolated as Cosby. Hope this helps some.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:09 PM

Is there any farm set-ups down around there.

Barn, some acreage, pasture. (etc)

Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
Don't remember much about that, just mostly mountainish views.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Is there any farm set-ups down around there.

Barn, some acreage, pasture. (etc)
Hi Blue Grass,
Yes you can find that in Cosby. Look back a few pages on this forum, I took some pictures of Cosby/Gatlinburg a few weeks ago and posted them. I agree with the above comment about Cosby. It is isolated and small, but a very pretty area.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:46 AM

Thanks mbmouse!

Just looked at your pics of Cosby. Nice.

My uncle used to be a park ranger in the Smokies and we'd go down there every year and stay a few weeks just outside Gatlinburg. (Fast-foward) I take my wife down there because it's a romantic place and she fell in love with that area even though she is from Tullahoma,Murfreesboro,Manchester area. I really never considered that area to be the place to move to, always considered it a destination spot. I prefer Harlan County, Ky, that's where my family and friends are from. My wife doesn't like that area because it's too poor. Go figure. Hence Tennesse being the "sophisticated hillbilly state".

Old 10-26-2006, 09:33 AM

265 posts, read 904,490 times
Blue Grass - Stay away from Gatlinburg if you want quiet. Cosby and NE of there is what you want. Ot maybe even a little west to Maryville.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Hi

.I don't really care for the sophisticated hillbilly state. (prefer Kentucky) .
You ought to look into Erwin TN. You might like it there.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 101,753 times
Wink Blue Grass Fever

Do yourself and your wife a favor. Next time you're in the area, purchase a map book of Sevier County. Get off the major roads and explore. We've visited the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area many times and love it. However, it's on the back roads where you get a true picture of how folks live and what is available real estate wise. Also, pick up a copy of Homes and Land on your trip. Maryville is wonderful as is Cosby. Do look around though. I fell in love with the Wears Valley area. I don't think we've ever had a bad experience in TN. Crime is low, cost of living is affordable and they are making great strides in providing health care facilities for their citizens. To me, I will never be closer to heaven then when I'm in TN.

Missing TN in Baltimore.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Rai

4 posts, read 12,567 times
Hello! Blue Grass Fever & Mrs Blue Grass Fever

Am looking to move in same area. My husbands parents live in Sevierville and our sons also moved there. It is very crowded in that area for us. The traffic is bad in that area. We were looking at kodack area but that was a lot of farm land you may like that area more so. My son said Seymore is moderately priced and has farmland.
Am trying to look for not crowded but has a acre or two no more then that between Knoxville (hubby's work), Sevierville,& Pidgeonforge (family). If you see anything like that on your search please let me know. If I see any other farm land I will post it.
Here is a web page for smokey mountains.

http://www.smokymtnmall.com/smoky-mo...ominiums.shtml
Have a great day,
Rai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee