U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,569 times

Advertisements

If you are still in search of land clearing I do have some suggestions. Find someone that has a machine that can selectivly clear what you want and leave the rest. This usually leaves a park like effect and increases the properties value. If you have more questions you may email me @ markshm@hotmail.com.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-16-2007, 11:36 AM

9 posts, read 33,106 times
I am in the Middle Tn area and have a friend who is a timber cutter. If you will send me a private message with more specifics on what you all want cleared I will ask him for some advice.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,638,460 times
Let me know if you're still interested. We had ours cleared (finally) and it's gorgeous. They put down grass seed and everything for us. One warning - if you are thinking of leaving some trees - find someone with lots of experience. We'd walked the property and marked various trees we wanted to keep only to find out that when they grow in a heavily wooded area, many kinds of trees won't have developed strong enough root systems to support them standing alone. A good wind can come along and topple them. They left us about 7 hickorys. Said they should have a strong enough root system to hold them through any storms.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,466 times
Default mulch it

Have you talked with any mulching companys? I know of a few that could probably take care of the situation. Contact me and I will get you some more info.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM

11,135 posts, read 13,616,830 times
I have seen a good number of folks get burned and end up really ticked off with the manner in which some loggers manage this. The suggestion by ML here is something I would recommend everyone doing. The Tennessee dept. of Conservation will come out for free and do a survey and offer recommendations on various ways to proceed depending on what your goals and aims are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML10950 View Post
You might want to check with the Tennessee Department of Enviromental Conservation for reputable logger.
While I think folks who clear trees for views then plant grass and bradford pears are out of their minds, you might also consider that when changing the habitat in such a way you may consider at least planting grasses that will help support other wildlife. Simply planting Kentucky fescue, blue grass, and most lawn grasses, while appealing to your eye looks like a barren wasteland to the rest of the living things you are sharing your patch of dirt with.

There are even some grants available through various government agencies for planting grasses and shrubs that help attract endangered species.

Cutting of trees and altering the landscape in such a drastic manner may be unavoidable an necessary to your goals but if you must, at least try to do it in such a way that has the most benefit.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 15,212,614 times
cutting, getting rid of brush piles, getting rid of stumps------you might break even if they are hardwoods (suitable for logs)

if softwood---------only an idiot would clear your land, get rid of the brush, get rid of the stumps, seed the grass-----in exchange for some low value softwood.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 PM

849 posts, read 2,832,716 times
TnHilltopper - I keep wanting to call you TNT for short! I think you gave me the recommendation earlier this year. This coming Friday, I am meeting with a representative from the Dept of Conversation at my lot. i will come back and report how it all went.

I am approaching this exactly as you describe below. I want to know what I have and what I should clear. More to follow after Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I have seen a good number of folks get burned and end up really ticked off with the manner in which some loggers manage this. The suggestion by ML here is something I would recommend everyone doing. The Tennessee dept. of Conservation will come out for free and do a survey and offer recommendations on various ways to proceed depending on what your goals and aims are.

While I think folks who clear trees for views then plant grass and bradford pears are out of their minds, you might also consider that when changing the habitat in such a way you may consider at least planting grasses that will help support other wildlife. Simply planting Kentucky fescue, blue grass, and most lawn grasses, while appealing to your eye looks like a barren wasteland to the rest of the living things you are sharing your patch of dirt with.

There are even some grants available through various government agencies for planting grasses and shrubs that help attract endangered species.

Cutting of trees and altering the landscape in such a drastic manner may be unavoidable an necessary to your goals but if you must, at least try to do it in such a way that has the most benefit.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM

4,725 posts, read 9,712,204 times
Thumbs up What a great sensible post, TnHilltopper. Big help.

TNT, er, TnHilltopper, I so wanted to give you some rep for your post, but have to spread the love first.

But, be assurred that your suggestions are much appreciated. We would all be wise, whether building a new home or just sprucing up the yard, to take your advice on providing native grasses and plants that will benefit the environment we are in and not disturb it further.

Thanks for your post.

Grizzlybear, we all will be anxious to hear what you find out from the Dept. of Conservation rep.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM

11,135 posts, read 13,616,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
TnHilltopper - I keep wanting to call you TNT for short! I think you gave me the recommendation earlier this year. This coming Friday, I am meeting with a representative from the Dept of Conversation at my lot. i will come back and report how it all went.

I am approaching this exactly as you describe below. I want to know what I have and what I should clear. More to follow after Friday!
I anxiously look forward to hearing what they find out about your place. These folks that came here were very knowledgeable and helpful and sometimes information can be priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
TNT, er, TnHilltopper, I so wanted to give you some rep for your post, but have to spread the love first.

But, be assurred that your suggestions are much appreciated. We would all be wise, whether building a new home or just sprucing up the yard, to take your advice on providing native grasses and plants that will benefit the environment we are in and not disturb it further.

Thanks for your post.
Many thanks. I understand that lawns look nice and they showcase a persons most expensive and important investment, their home. That being said, there is quite a bit folks can do to not only make their land and home more attractive AND to do it in such a way that would encourage wildlife to come and partake. After all, many folks move to Tennessee for its beauty, so why try to make it look like an Orlando suburb, there are enough of those already.

There are some native flowering plants and grasses that require much less effort and work than a traditional lawn and to see them on a hillside in bloom with a gaggle of turkey's foraging is worth it, or at least to me it is. Never hurts to have a combination of soft mast trees like Persimmons and PawPaw mixed with hard mast trees like Walnut, Oak, and Hickory.

I know my goal in five years is to have a very small (if at all) patch of lawn around the house and the rest of my cleared land to be native grasses and flowers that I don't have to mow but still have an estate like look. There is nothing finer to me than getting my morning cup of coffee and seeing the huge variety of wildlife off my front porch and knowing that my environmental footprint is minimal.

Someone once said that man would greatly benefit from trying to be a part of his world instead of commanding over it.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 AM

849 posts, read 2,832,716 times
Right now I have a lawn in Florida that is a little over an acre. No sprinkler, what grows, grows and what doesn't, doesn't. My sons and I use a 42" ride on to cut the yard and then I use a grass trimmer to walk the edges and trim as the previous owner put in a horse rail fence on all sides and our back yard borders a 4 acre pond.

I am actually looking forward to leaving my lawn mower behind. My dream is to cut grass about every 4 months, if that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee