U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM

4,725 posts, read 9,711,653 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful sight Grizzly and TnHilltopper. I was mesmerized going through your photos. Please send good directions. I think I see our lot up there amongst them thar hills!

What fun it will be to explore through the woods in all seasons. I would imagine in the spring there will be a myriad of flowers that are hidden deep under the leaves now.

Thanks to both of you for sharing those shots of your own paradise.

(And, Bones, go to your room. Toooo funny, as always.)
Rate this post positively

Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM

15,205 posts, read 11,555,243 times
Great pictures. I'd like a cave on my property....

I would guess the chimney is not finished yet. It has to be a foot or two above the peak.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM

11,135 posts, read 13,616,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Great pictures. I'd like a cave on my property....

I would guess the chimney is not finished yet. It has to be a foot or two above the peak.
You know, I looked at that and asked myself, how the heck was it going to draft on a calm day? Think I should slide a copy of Firefox under their door?

I'm not sure if you live in the Homestead area in Cumberland Co but if so, have you been to Milk Cave (or whatever it is called) over in Grassy Cove?

We have a few up here, but with it being Sandstone they are not usually very well formed and are generally sharp edged caves. The other side of Overton Co has fair amount of limestone and much nicer cave formations from what I gather. Ehhh, take what I can get.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Haven't been to grassy cove. I'm up here next to Catoosa. About 11 miles north of Crossville.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Haven't been to grassy cove. I'm up here next to Catoosa. About 11 miles north of Crossville.
Ah heck, you are just down 62 a piece then. Very "silent" stretch of dirt out that way. I recall one of my finest hikes out north of Oakdale, east of Crab Orchard towards the edge of the Catoosa.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Ah heck, you are just down 62 a piece then. Very "silent" stretch of dirt out that way. I recall one of my finest hikes out north of Oakdale, east of Crab Orchard towards the edge of the Catoosa.
"Silent" is a great way to say we're out in the boonies....LOL
South of 62 off 298 and thousands of acres of "silent" land, except for all the wild life...

Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,648,408 times
Cool "COOL"...Luthier.?

T.H.T. / TNT those pics & ledge overhangs are "COOL" . Plenty of ice pictures
today out of North Carolina, had very bad ICE storm all up East coast ,even to central Maine. Been there done that with Skiing in Catskill NY many years.
THT Congrats on your approaching 600 Rep level / plateau.
.GEM also Congrats on 300 level. A good week to go Bowling.?
No one mentioned asking a "Luthier" yet? Some trees can be worth Big Bucks! French word for craftsman that makes string music instruments.
My church friend in Sale Creek very knowledgeable about the pattern GRAIN
of woods, and cuts / supplies pieces to Guitar and Dulcimer (Wifes new hobby) companies.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post

Very cool, sideways growing tree. Maybe just cool to me...
Grizz, I was told that Native Americans would take a sapling tree and bend it over sharply and stake it to the ground. It was used to mark a path or show directions. I don't know if that is the case with your tree or not but I have one or two on my property and decided to leave them as if nothing else, they are unique and interesting to look at.

[quote=SPLIT;2698434]No one mentioned asking a "Luthier" yet? Some trees can be worth Big Bucks! French word for craftsman that makes string music instruments.
My church friend in Sale Creek very knowledgeable about the pattern GRAIN
of woods, and cuts / supplies pieces to Guitar and Dulcimer (Wifes new hobby) companies.

While not specific to just luthier's, I have been slowing planting a variety of specialty or high value species of trees to my land. Also there are a good number of wood craft folks in Tennessee and the surrounding region that make furniture, carve, or create a variety of artwork. As mentioned about the "bent tree" above, trees can not only be grown by species but also shaped, bent, or contorted to give interesting shapes and grains.

PBS once did a special on wooden boats and ships of the 18th and 19th century where they ended up in an Oak grove in England. The trees were grown at specific distances and encouraged to be heavy with branches to make the knees, ribs, and various shapes needed for building wooden sailing ships. These groves were planted to be harvested two generations into the future. Talk about long term vision, thinking, and planning.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,648,408 times
Thumbs up Newman's KNEEs ,Pictures

THT: Interesting; my good friend Albany, NY is building replica St Lawrence Rowing SKIFF. Ordered special NEWMAN's KNEEs, name HACKMATACK or
TAMARACK & Eastern LARCH.
Here is a link for pictures and story about wife & 2 sons doing the business after husband logging death accident May 2006.
Show message .
ENJOY

Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 AM

849 posts, read 2,832,599 times
The men cutting our trees mentioned a Cherokee Chief that lived back in the time (1775), Chief Dragging Canoe. Interesting history of the area...

Maybe it was a tree bent back in that time as you describe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee