Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 PM

29 posts, read 83,910 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon/Evening:

I have been monitoring this board for months and finally have the courage to ask my question…and in true Gemini form I will write like I talk, which is always too much and likely provide more information than is needed for my actual question. Let’s say this is part question and part therapeutic download.

I live in Northern California, born and raised. I have lived elsewhere, due to the military and even was brave enough to leave family and friends following a painful divorce and make an escape out of California for Arizona, only to hate it and move back to California within 2 years. I want to leave California for all the reasons many have stated all over the place.

I have already decided that TN is my next home. But I am overwhelmed by all the wonderful areas most have spoken about. I would say that I am likely to move to the Franklin or Brentwood area or another suburb of Nashville.

My one and only concern is this…I cannot tolerate areas where there is increased animal cruelty. When I lived in Arizona, there wasn’t a week that went by where you didn’t hear about some abused or tortured animal, starved and emaciated or left in a dumpster. Where I live now is very animal friendly. Pets are treated as members of the family and not livestock. There are plenty of areas in California not like this, but I don’t live in one of them. My dogs are spoiled rotten and there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to protect them or anyone in need. Please know that I am not an “animal rights fanatic” I just love all animals.

In September 2005, I joined a rag tag group of people who put their lives on hold for the sole purpose of rescuing animals left behind. We made a huge difference and were able to accomplish some amazing things that not even the Humane Society or SPCA could pull off – we had no rules or politics to live by and our common goal of rescuing animals made us successful. However, for some, including myself this does come with a “mental” price tag.. The exhilaration of saving an animal from starvation or a rooftop or chained to a fence post was a feeling I cannot even begin to describe. I felt I was absolutely where God wanted me to be and that he helped guide me and protect me during this horrible time for so many animals, I have not recovered from all that I have seen. I did things I wish I could do every day and saw things I never want to see again. Clearly, I need some counseling and I am working on that. This is just so critical for me that I avoid any area which may hamper or delay my healing. Sometimes, I think it sounds so silly to even think or write such things, but it is the way it is. I tell you this for the sole purpose of putting some perspective into why this is such an important concern for me.

Here’s the Question: Are there any areas based on your experience that you feel should be absolutely avoided. And not contribute to my anxiety?

In closing I would just like to say how much I enjoy this board, it’s the first thing I look forward to in the morning. Ok, maybe the second thing after my coffee. There are so many recognizable names on this board that I find myself seeking some of you out as I just enjoy what you have to say. I just thank each of you for the time and effort you put into welcoming others and for answering some very serious questions which are often life altering.

My sincere appreciation for your opinions.

~Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
What an absolutely excellent post!

I live in Texas and am considering moving to VA, TN, or WV. I can't help you with your questions, but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your post. What a wonderful thing to consider before moving to an area.

My girls (dogs) are loved dearly. It breaks my heart that all animals can't be given the love they deserve as that's really all that matters to them next to food and water. They love the humans so unconditionally; they're such precious creatures.

Good luck to you and your animals!

P.S. I gave you a 5-star rating for your terrific post.

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-27-2006 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: merge

Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
I live in Williamson County. Last year or so there was a breeder of Maltese dogs who was arrested here. The community rushed to foster these beautiful dogs, and ultimately adopt them all. People lined up to donate time, love, food and money. A similar situation is currently unfolding just outside of Nashville. Once again ordinary people are showering the shelter with generosity of spirit and cash to help these animals.

In other words, my impression is that the community must hold these creatures in high regard to respond like they do. It's headline/top story stuff when it happens, which, thankfully, is not often.

My family moved here from Plumas County 5 years ago and we love it. Sounds like you're making a similar change.

Best of luck!!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM

61 posts, read 260,160 times
Really good post. I hope you can find an animal friendly area and continue your good work in helping animals. I LOVE them too! It's always been a dream of mine to one day have enough land and money so that I can take in and care for abused and unwanted animals and help find them good and loving homes and if not, MY home will be it for them. I LOVE animals moreso than people, LOL!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
Franklin has Happy Tales (I think that is the name) that has a place in a shopping place called the Factory that has animals. I believe they rescue them and won't put them to sleep. So there are people in that area that share in the ideas of helping animals. One time while there to pet the dogs I heard a lady working there talking on the phone about how they wouldn't even let someone adopt a dog because the people were not going to have it in the house. I'm not sure if that is a rule or just for certain dogs.
There was a story out of Galatin (North of Nashville) about a puppy mill and the owner can never raise puppies again. I didn't really read the story. There are a few stories about animal abuse, but it's not all that frequent.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Greetings fellow animal lovers!
I have a question for Christine (the OP):
Why do you say, "Please know that I am not an “animal rights fanatic” I just love all animals."?!
If you love all animals, then why would that be bad?
I guess the word "fanatic" has a negative connotation, but you seem to be an animal "fanatic", so...?
I ask because being vegan & someone who gets involved with animal rights issues as much as I can, I see that to be contradictory. I would also be offended, but I won't.
I'm always glad to hear about helping animals.
So, THANK YOU!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Very nice post indeed! I know TN has lots of "no kill" shelters. My suggestion would be to look up "no kill shelters in TN" on google, see where they are, where there are more of those than the others. Then look up "Dog friendly parks in TN" cross reference those with the no kills and that should give you a very good idea of where the most animal friendly people are located in this state.
Just a thought. Good luck with your search. I am an animal lover too.......even mice!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:42 AM

243 posts, read 887,116 times
Wink Reply

Thank you for your wonderful post. I too love animals. But just remember there are alot of idtent people out there and there will never be a place where these kind of people don't exist. Thanks for such a warm and wonderful post. Klosk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progradi View Post
Good Afternoon/Evening:

I have been monitoring this board for months and finally have the courage to ask my question…and in true Gemini form I will write like I talk, which is always too much and likely provide more information than is needed for my actual question. Let’s say this is part question and part therapeutic download.

I live in Northern California, born and raised. I have lived elsewhere, due to the military and even was brave enough to leave family and friends following a painful divorce and make an escape out of California for Arizona, only to hate it and move back to California within 2 years. I want to leave California for all the reasons many have stated all over the place.

I have already decided that TN is my next home. But I am overwhelmed by all the wonderful areas most have spoken about. I would say that I am likely to move to the Franklin or Brentwood area or another suburb of Nashville.

My one and only concern is this…I cannot tolerate areas where there is increased animal cruelty. When I lived in Arizona, there wasn’t a week that went by where you didn’t hear about some abused or tortured animal, starved and emaciated or left in a dumpster. Where I live now is very animal friendly. Pets are treated as members of the family and not livestock. There are plenty of areas in California not like this, but I don’t live in one of them. My dogs are spoiled rotten and there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to protect them or anyone in need. Please know that I am not an “animal rights fanatic” I just love all animals.

In September 2005, I joined a rag tag group of people who put their lives on hold for the sole purpose of rescuing animals left behind. We made a huge difference and were able to accomplish some amazing things that not even the Humane Society or SPCA could pull off – we had no rules or politics to live by and our common goal of rescuing animals made us successful. However, for some, including myself this does come with a “mental” price tag.. The exhilaration of saving an animal from starvation or a rooftop or chained to a fence post was a feeling I cannot even begin to describe. I felt I was absolutely where God wanted me to be and that he helped guide me and protect me during this horrible time for so many animals, I have not recovered from all that I have seen. I did things I wish I could do every day and saw things I never want to see again. Clearly, I need some counseling and I am working on that. This is just so critical for me that I avoid any area which may hamper or delay my healing. Sometimes, I think it sounds so silly to even think or write such things, but it is the way it is. I tell you this for the sole purpose of putting some perspective into why this is such an important concern for me.

Here’s the Question: Are there any areas based on your experience that you feel should be absolutely avoided. And not contribute to my anxiety?

In closing I would just like to say how much I enjoy this board, it’s the first thing I look forward to in the morning. Ok, maybe the second thing after my coffee. There are so many recognizable names on this board that I find myself seeking some of you out as I just enjoy what you have to say. I just thank each of you for the time and effort you put into welcoming others and for answering some very serious questions which are often life altering.

My sincere appreciation for your opinions.

~Christine

Old 10-27-2006, 09:50 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
I'm someone who has my husband "ride shotgun" when we drive in the South, saying "Look away" to me for huge numbers of road kill, particularly pets.

elfyum and all, I hope you don't mind my dropping in here (although both of my parents are from Tenn.) but there is an important modern distinction that many aren't aware of. People who really love animals are referred to as being for animal welfare, all the good, genuinely humane, loving and caring stuff. Animal rights has come to mean people who have an agenda that no one ever should own any pet, as part of their credo that no animal should have a usage beyond the wild. Mandatory spay and neuter, as opposed to responsible owners doing right by their pets and/or to discourage animals without homes, is part of animal rights' actual manifestos that domestic animal breeds are, to them, an abomination that must be sterilized out of existence. The founder of Peta has issued quote after quote such as "better dead than bred," "domestic breeds: one generation (sterilized) and over!" and that humans, if they crave companionship, should never have an animal but go talk to other humans. And heavens forbid that a blind person should "use" a lovingly trained guide dog!

There are so many ways to document how little the "animal rights" fanatics really care about a pet's true welfare, and they really could care less that we in fact love our domesticated animals who are very happy with this arrangement, but this is a relocation forum so I'll offer just one example. On Peta's own website, on the neutering thread, right there they advocate kidnapping all your neighbors' unaltered dogs and having them neutered yourself before giving them back. There's no mention of subjecting an animal to a dangerous, and in the case of some breeds potentially fatal, major operation or even, dare I say, property rights of the U.S.A.

Back to topic: I am very interested in such trends in the South, in eastern TN or western NC where we plan to relocate as well. Although I am steeped in the farming ways of the South from my family to know that people do have different attitudes towards livestock than sheltered city folk, I am really concerned about people who won't even swerve one inch on the Southern highways to avoid hitting an animal. And areas where "animal rights" gain a foothold in preventing people from owning animals, such as changing existing laws to be real "Catch 22s" to own pets at all.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:17 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Christine please contact me. My husband and I did a tremendous amount of rescue work in Florida before we moved here. We live in a very rural area that has residents of a very different lifestyle than we share. Like you, our pets are part of the family. We have 5 dogs, 7 cats, 3 birds, 3 indoor baby turtles that we've rescued and are over-wintering until they are strong enough for life outdoors, and about 6 turtles outside in a very natural 1 acre enclosed habitat. I guess you could say we like critters too!!

That said, where you live depends on the type of pets you have. There were some towns we couldn't move to because of breed specific legislation. Had we moved there we would have had to re-home some of our dogs or have them put to sleep, neither of which was an option for us. I have begun campaining those areas to reverse their BSL and adopt the AKC's laws on pet protection which punishes the irresponsible owners, not the pets.

Anyway, I think I've been here long enough - about 6 months - that I know many of the mid-eastern towns from Murfreesboro to the Nashville area that I can help you. Just please keep in mind, no matter where you move, there may always be a scum-of-the-earth person who decides to move to the area.

Recently right outisde of Nashville there was a breeder who had her hundreds of dogs taken for cruelty. Seeing what happens to them is heartbreaking, but jumping in to help and seeing the wonderful difference you make in their life is such a wonderful thing. You have shown what an incredibly wonderful, caring, affectionate person toward animals you are. Don't let the terrible people in this world stop you from the love and giving you have in your heart!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee