Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,880 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching for over 20 years in upstate NY, my baby just graduated from high school & we are thinking about relocating. My husband is a retired NY state trooper, so we are looking at states that don't tax his pension.

So any suggestions of where to go? I would still need to work full time, preferably teaching pre-k. We love theater & would like to be fairly close to that, where we could see the touring productions of shows, as well as other theater.

Thanks so much!
Tami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:40 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Consider the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City). Mid-sized cities for the state. Good salaries for teachers (especially for the city school systems), low COL, and the Barter Theater is just up the road in Abingdon, VA - which is about a 10 minute drive from Bristol, and about a 30-40 minute drive from the other two. They have wonderful shows. Google it. I took my wife last year for her B-day to see Les Miserables and it was excellent. They just got through with a run of Man of La Mancha.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
My thought would be for you to start out looking in the main metropolitan areas if theater is a drawing factor. I know Nashville gets a good run of traveling theater and musicals at TPAC, most noteably. There was a recent write-up in our local paper about how much Wicked's wildly successful recent stay did to pump money in the local economy. There's also a good Shakespeare in the Park series in Centennial Park as well. I'm sure you'd find similar opportunities in Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga.

As far as pre-K positions go, it varies by county as to what is available. While I am pretty sure every county has a pre-k program on some level, they vary on how each county adminsters the program. My guess is, again, you'll find more job opportunities in the major metro areas and surrounding counties than you would in a more rural one. Teaching jobs are fairly competitive here, espcially in the better school districts; however, with 20+ years of experience this could give you an edge, especially if you have any kind of special desigation/degree.

Bottom line, I'd research the major metro areas first and decide if that kind of living was for you...then work off of that.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 PM

41 posts, read 78,770 times
Have you visited TN before? Any family or friends?

I'd come visit and stay a few days in a few different places.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:01 PM

458 posts, read 1,272,045 times
TN is a very diverse state east to west. You will def want to do your research. Also, teaching positions are quite saturated so your credentials may not be as revered as you'd like. Best of luck regardless, though know many folks have the same ideas of moving here from up north as you. Doesn't mean you can't make it work, just do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee