Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 AM

65 posts, read 211,436 times

Advertisements

You all may think this is strange but I get alot of anxiety, fear just thinking of moving and starting over somewhere....Not that I don't want to move, I do but I worry that I won't be accepted......I am not sure why, I think it is just part of me (self-image problems), and as I get older things get more scary.
In a few weeks I will be putting in transfers with my job to get a fresh start in Tennessee so I really need some input here.
I have options of transferring to just about anywhere in E TN, but my main concern is how well I will be accepted as an outsider. Do I stick mainly to the bigger cities, where I won't stick out like a sore thumb? or would it be ok to just stick to a smaller city, and not have people being rough on me because I may have taken one of their jobs. I know this may sound petty to some, but I guess it is all a part of the anxiety of moving. Where I live now, I moved to a medium sized city and when I started my job I stuck out like a sore thumb and my coworkers let me know it. So, this is why I think I get anxious and scared. I don't know why I feel like this going into TN, I have moved several times and never really worried about it. Why am I worried now? Hhhmm I am not sure why..
Anyhow do I aim towards the bigger cities or do you think the smaller cities would be ok also...? I don't mean to offend any of the people that live in TN here, not my intentions at all. Just skeeereeeddd. Have a great Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 06:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Millipooh, you are worrying needlessly. I've lived in east Tennessee for 13 years and have found the residents to be extremely friendly and helpful to newcomers, especially in the smaller towns. Like anywhere else, you will occasionally find a bad apple, but this doesn't spoil the whole barrel.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipooh View Post
You all may think this is strange but I get alot of anxiety, fear just thinking of moving and starting over somewhere....Not that I don't want to move, I do but I worry that I won't be accepted......I am not sure why, I think it is just part of me (self-image problems), and as I get older things get more scary.
In a few weeks I will be putting in transfers with my job to get a fresh start in Tennessee so I really need some input here.
I have options of transferring to just about anywhere in E TN, but my main concern is how well I will be accepted as an outsider. Do I stick mainly to the bigger cities, where I won't stick out like a sore thumb? or would it be ok to just stick to a smaller city, and not have people being rough on me because I may have taken one of their jobs. I know this may sound petty to some, but I guess it is all a part of the anxiety of moving. Where I live now, I moved to a medium sized city and when I started my job I stuck out like a sore thumb and my coworkers let me know it. So, this is why I think I get anxious and scared. I don't know why I feel like this going into TN, I have moved several times and never really worried about it. Why am I worried now? Hhhmm I am not sure why..
Anyhow do I aim towards the bigger cities or do you think the smaller cities would be ok also...? I don't mean to offend any of the people that live in TN here, not my intentions at all. Just skeeereeeddd. Have a great Christmas!
Millipooh,
I have just moved to Tn in Sept.I have found the people very friendly,helpful
and havent felt like an outsider.I thought I would feel unwelcomed , but for me , it doesnt seem the case. I live in a small town.As far as towns , I think if you are use to alot of stores and conviences, maybe look into a town that has some of that,or if you want quiet and rural,look into samller ones but there is usually some stores like 15-20 minutes away too.I moved here knowing no one, I was scared, but had my hubby and kids, so wasnt to bad.Think about what youd like in a town, and I can tell you people on here will help you, they are terrific!Hope I helped just a little, Have a VERY Merry Christmas!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee