Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 PM

68 posts, read 157,417 times

Advertisements

I am a single 33yo male and I am totally torn between Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville TN or Charlotte NC. I am moving from Orlando, Florida. I have lived here for the past 10yrs. I love the city here and how much there is to do; but I just cant take the climate here anymore. I have lived in Charleston, WV so I have driven in snow and harsh conditions before. Also being in decent sized city with lots to do is obviously important to me. I want a total change of scene from Orlando, FL landscape wise. I work in the Hotel industry if that helps. I have also done a lot of security work. I prefer working 3rd shifts. So nightlife is a plus and a large sized factor here. I will also be looking for a job once I move. I do like snow in the winter but since I drive a sports car now and not an SUV not a ton of it. So if you know any other citys off hand that would fit my needs please feel free to say so

On a side note I am really liking the mountain area of Chattanooga from the images and videos I have seen. Knoxville is looking really good also.

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 09-30-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Have you visited any of those cities?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 AM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
I'm biased, Chattanooga

BUT we are not really known for our nightlife. Nashville would be your option for that.

But anything and everything outdoors and really never get bored, it would be Chattanooga.

Check out this link Outdoor Chattanooga - Home

if you sign up for their newsletter, you really get to see all that is available.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,577,640 times
For me..... it would be Chattanooga! Lot's to do, great restaurants & bars, shopping when needed.
COL is lower than some of the other places mentioned.
and since you're single....

Male To Female Ratio For Chattanooga, TN/Tennessee

The male to female ratio is 100:111, and the female to male ratio is 90:100.
The male population is 89,698, and the female population is 99,951.
There are 10,253 more females than males in Chattanooga; in percentage terms, there are 10.26% more females than males.
The median male age is 32.75 years, and the median female age is 37.39 years.
The average household income in Chattanooga is $27,874, and the average house value is $71,900.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau Data

Chattanooga, TN/Tennessee Male to Female Ratio, Median Age, Avg Salary & Home Price

on yeah... They have mountains too...

Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM

I hear chatanooga has Publix now? which is a store I love here. I like that link about chatanooga. I really want a lot of outdoor things to do. I will spend my off days doing them

Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Outdoor-wise, Knoxville and Chattanooga would beat out Nashville. Not that it's non-existent in Nashville but just not as much. If the hotel/nightlife industries are truly very important to you then Nashville would be the clear winner there. Also, Nashville has Publix if that matters haha

Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Outdoor-wise, Knoxville and Chattanooga would beat out Nashville. Not that it's non-existent in Nashville but just not as much. If the hotel/nightlife industries are truly very important to you then Nashville would be the clear winner there. Also, Nashville has Publix if that matters haha
Loved this comment and ty for it. I guess a good question to ask is what are the people like in Knoxville vs Chattanooga or Nashville?

Being from orlando florida (no southern accent whet so ever) curious where I would be happiest. So would love to hear what the people are like.

I would also like to know which of the citys sees more snowfall :P

Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
If you want to know what the people are like, without visiting, maybe do some you tubing for the 3 , google some blogging from the 3, ie, like this place and visit each cities links or look for obscure bloggers about their hometown.

None of the 3 really get snowfall that is horrible or snowboard ready, lol.

You just really have to visit and get a feel for each one. Don't know if that is possible for you.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
Loved this comment and ty for it. I guess a good question to ask is what are the people like in Knoxville vs Chattanooga or Nashville?

Being from orlando florida (no southern accent whet so ever) curious where I would be happiest. So would love to hear what the people are like.

I would also like to know which of the citys sees more snowfall :P
I looked it up and Nashville and Knoxville both get 6.3 inches of snow on average. Chattanooga gets less, but I consider snow to be rare here. Not to the rarity of Florida obviously, but it's very common for schools to close after a little snow falls.

I think the demographics of Nashville may not be what you expect. I'm 29 and grew up here, and in many aspects of my life it's rare for me to meet people who are from here. It's not a terribly "southern" city anymore among those in our generation because of the influx of everyone from everywhere. Nashville is attracting more young adults in their 20s and 30s than almost any city in the country ( Forbes: Nashville among most popular cities for millennials - Nashville Business Journal) but the downside to that is the rising cost of housing ( Can the people Nashville hopes to attract afford to move here? And can the residents who made it desirable afford to stay? | Cover Story | Nashville Scene

I think it comes down to whether you want more of a city or more of the outdoors. I'm biased but I feel that as an adult in your early 30s, there may be more options for you in Nashville than the others, especially being in the industry you are. I don't know a ton about Chattanooga, and I like Knoxville but I feel that Nashville mixes a lot of what everyone wants into one area and that's why it's growing so quickly. More expensive but worth it IMO. I'd check out those links I sent if I were you.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
There are a number of times you can drive to the mountains to experience snow so that might tip the scale towards Knoxville. Also since hotel work and security work doesn't pay that well you might appreciate the cheaper rents.

I'm curious about the nightlife comment. If you are working 3rd shift - will you only go out on your nights off? Or are you looking for nightlife that is open very very late?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee