Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about people in Tennessee growing Hardy palms? There has been a lot of palms planted in the state in the last couple decades, with variable success. Do you feel they are out of place, or do you like the fact that they are being planted North of the Gulf coast states now? Personally, I love that palm enthusiasts are extending their range in many different regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Much better than Kudzu.

Cant say that I have noticed any in my area but I think it would be neat seeing Palm tress. I like seeing different, exotic plants.

Do they have any benefit to the wildlife in this area?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Ugh, we had a big patch of Kudzu that was found here a couple of years ago in Leamington along the Lake Erie lakefront embankment, the first time it was found in Canada. It completely covered the entire slope, but was eradicated, thank god!

Not sure if palms have any benefit to wildlife, except maybe their fruit.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Ugh, we had a big patch of Kudzu that was found here a couple of years ago in Leamington along the Lake Erie lakefront embankment, the first time it was found in Canada. It completely covered the entire slope, but was eradicated, thank god!

Not sure if palms have any benefit to wildlife, except maybe their fruit.
Yeah, we call Kudzu the plant that ate the south.

Maybe I will try to plant some palms one day when I no longer have goats. The windmill palm would look neat planted by the pond.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
What many people don't understand, Palm trees are not native to North Florida, or other gulf coast states. Sago palms are native, but they are much smaller, like a palm bush then a tree.

Palm trees can grow in Tennessee, but you can't trim them like they do in Miami, because the outside shell helps insulate the tree in colder winter weather.

I see no issue with people planting palm trees here, if thats what floats your boat. Its not going to take over like Kudzu. Even in the forests of Florida there aren't palm trees, and sagos don't grow in super numerous amounts.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
People grew some hardy palms in the Chicagoland area, and I found them to look nice, but just very out of place. But hey, its your lawn, you do with it what you want!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What many people don't understand, Palm trees are not native to North Florida, or other gulf coast states. Sago palms are native, but they are much smaller, like a palm bush then a tree.
Sago palms are not native (they're actually a cycad, not a palm).

Palms that are native to the southeast USA includes Sabal palms (Cabbage palm, Bluestem palm, Louisiana palm), Saw palmetto, and Needle Palm (probably most cold tolerant of native palms). Some of these are native up into the NC coast, and the Cabbage Palm is the SC state tree.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sago palms are not native (they're actually a cycad, not a palm).

Palms that are native to the southeast USA includes Sabal palms (Cabbage palm, Bluestem palm, Louisiana palm), Saw palmetto, and Needle Palm (probably most cold tolerant of native palms). Some of these are native up into the NC coast, and the Cabbage Palm is the SC state tree.
I didn't say they were native to Tennessee, I said native to north Florida, which can get as cold as it does in tennessee, so they can withstand cold

Old 10-27-2014, 06:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Sago palms are native to Japan. The Coontie is native to south FL which looks somewhat similar, but even the panhandle gets too cold for them.

The best palms for TN would be the Windmill Palm (native to China) or the Needle palm.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The most random sabal palm I've seen in a while was in someone's front yard on the walk between the Tube station and Kew Gardens in the suburbs of London, UK. That seemed far weirder than palm trees in Tennessee would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee