Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 AM

710 posts, read 1,960,617 times

Advertisements

So I have a subscription to the (Fairly Local Paper). We get the paper Fri-Sat-Sun. I really only wanted it for Sunday but I think it was easier just to do it that way, so that's what I signed up for.

Ever since I started this subscription, the (Fairly Local Paper)'s telemarketing department has been out to get me. It is not an exaggeration to say that we receive a call from these people nearly EVERY day. Sometimes we receive more than one call a day. The callers either have no idea we subscribe, or if they DO know, they are trying to get us to change our subscription to a 7-day. I do not want that. We recently added caller ID to our phone service and so now we usually don't answer the phone when they call, but prior to that I would answer the phone and tell them I was not interested, to please take me off their list and stop calling. I did this several times. Did not make any difference. I understand the calls are automated and that nobody felt like removing us from the loop and that is why they have continued, but that understanding doesn't really help the feeling of being intruded upon and borderline harassed by this company. Which actually counts me as a customer...for now.

I did answer the phone the other day when they made their customary daily call and told the woman that I was sure she was very nice, but that I absolutely cannot abide these daily calls (and truly sometimes more than once a day), and asked why they cannot stop calling me. She hung up on me. I guess she wasn't that nice.

I have a new plan. I think I am going to go back through my caller ID data and write down the times and dates of the MANY calls. Then I will give it a week wherein I answer the phone every time they call and ask them to please take my number off their rotation, noting the names of who I speak to if I can. Then I will give it another week to see if the calls truly stop (I highly doubt they will--this has been going on for at least six months). Then I am going to write the editor in chief or the publisher (or both?) and tell them what has been happening. It's not quite to the point that I am seriously considering changing my number--but that's an option that's crossed my mind. I don't think blocking the calls will work because I believe I did that once and nothing happened, but I could try again, I suppose? We have a different phone service now. Maybe they have a better mechanism to block calls.

I can't be the only person who is experiencing this. What truly galls me is that I ACTUALLY SUBSCRIBE to their paper and they still won't leave me alone. Gahhhhhhhhhhh.

Happy New Year, by the way...

Last edited by Wordy; 01-01-2008 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: I took out the name of the paper just because it seemed like the thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
I would write to the publisher and tell him/her that you are on the DO NOT CALL LIST, and if they do not immediately cease and desist, that you will cancel your subscription AND sue. That should be the end of that.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM

77 posts, read 246,205 times
Default unfortunately...

Unfortunately, the do not call list does not include companies that you do business with (i.e. you are a subscriber). You, may, however, be able to write to the paper as well as the better business bureau about their techniques. It sounds that you have all the data. Good luck on getting the phone calls to stop.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
If you have caller ID and know the number by all means answer it, " Hello this is Pete your local IRS Agent how may I direct your call.......

Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,617 times
Awww I don't wanna sue 'em or threaten 'em or anything. What I really would like is for them to inject a bit of human intelligence into their automation so that there is a mechanism for the employee to take people out of the loop when they ask them to do so, you know?

If it doesn't stop, I probably will just encourage my children to answer the phone and tell the lucky callers about their teenager day including every minute detail of who dissed whom, who dumped whom, and what everyone wore that day. I don't mind hearing all of these minute details and I just know anyone who calls from the newspaper will be glad to listen as well. Wouldn't you?????

Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
perhaps a letter to the editor?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:21 PM

65 posts, read 203,412 times
Thanks for the warning! I was planning on subscribing to the Fairly Local Paper (probably the same one) tomorrow. I'll be sure to give them a fake phone number.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
Well, I'll name names. The Tennessean does something similar; however, no where near that often or that annoying. They were constantly trying to get me to subscribe to the daily; if that didn't work they would offer to give me six-months free (it was worth it to them so they could bump up the number of paid subscribers for their advertising rates). Sometimes they would start the free daily without telling me and I would have to call to tell them to knock it off. We get the daily at my office and I didn't even want to go pick up the newspaper out of my driveway. For several reasons, I decided to finally end my subscription to the newspaper (I should mention that I don't care for the Tennessean's political stance anyway).

Anyway, if you can't get someone there at the paper (someone in the business office) to stop the calls, then the best choice is probably to block the calls using one of the techniques available. Threatening lawsuits, letters to the editor and whatnot will probably not work and be more trouble than they're worth. You might even call them up and in your most friendly voice ask them to change your phone number in their records (and then give them the number of the local Time & Temperature).

Old 01-01-2008, 05:27 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickedTN View Post
Thanks for the warning! I was planning on subscribing to the Fairly Local Paper (probably the same one) tomorrow. I'll be sure to give them a fake phone number.
I'm pretty sure Wordy was referring to the Tennessean and not Cookeville's Herald-Citizen since the H-C doesn't have a Saturday edition. And since the H-C is a more hometown paper and not some corporate rag like the Tennessean, I seriously doubt they have such predatory telemarketing policies. At least I hope not.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
. . . and not some corporate rag like the Tennessean . . .
See, I was trying to be nice about it. It's one of my New Years Resolutions (good only for New Years Day! ;-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee