Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 17,714 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks,

I am new at this website but see some of you that may be planning the same future that I am or already living it.. Here is what I am considering:

a. Retire from this rather high pressure defense contractor job.
b. Move to Anderson County, TN. (more on why later)
c. Buy acreage - minimum 10 acres but more if possible.
d. Likely it will be all wooded and quite steep.
e. Build retirement home on the ridge top.
f. Clear part of the land for view and pasture.
g. Raise Scottish Highland Cattle for fun but likely not much profit.

So - Having absolutely no experience at all of this I am researching and talking to as many people as possible. Although I am soon 59 I am in great shape (retired Army remember) and work out regularly. So here are my most important questions.

1. Is this a possible project at my age?
2. Will I really enjoy being a "rancher'?
3. Is a Highland Cattle Project in Anderson County, Tn really a viable retirement plan?

Finally my ace in the hole. Number 1 Son is the owner of Oak Ridge Veterinary Hospital in Oak Ridge. Nothing like free care for the animals.

All comments and criticism will be welcome as we work this project....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinson View Post
Hey Folks,

I am new at this website but see some of you that may be planning the same future that I am or already living it.. Here is what I am considering:

So - Having absolutely no experience at all of this I am researching and talking to as many people as possible. Although I am soon 59 I am in great shape (retired Army remember) and work out regularly. So here are my most important questions.

3. Is a Highland Cattle Project in Anderson County, Tn really a viable retirement plan?

Finally my ace in the hole. Number 1 Son is the owner of Oak Ridge Veterinary Hospital in Oak Ridge. Nothing like free care for the animals.

Soooooo, let me get this straight. You are asking total strangers if you should spend your retirement income on something you've never done before and that is very far removed from what you do now, relocate, and based on what you have said, assess if you'd really like it, so that you can make this extreme life-changing decision? I'm thinking no one you know has given you the answer you want. It's kind of a drastic change, don't you think?

Why not move to be near your son, rent for awhile, and make up your mind after living in the area for awhile. I'm thinking with your expertise in the Oak Ridge area, you'd be happy in the area living around like-minded/skilled people (easier to make friends) plus you'd be near family. If you ever decided to consult/teach part time, you might find it easy to do that, too. And if you ever decided to pursue what you want to pursue, you'd have a good feel for where in the county would be the best place to do it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess no one on these boards has any experience raising Highland cattle in Anderson County.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:57 PM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
I'm kind of curious as to how these cattle fare in the south, as they have so much coat in lieu of body fat. There was a large herd in Woodstock, CT that I used to stop and visit. They seem very docile and they're wonderful looking critters.

The Oak Ridge Vet Hospital is a nice looking place. I use the feed store next to it for dog supplies.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Default I'll move O.R. to H'ville

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinson View Post
Hey Folks,

Hello,

Found your posting while searching for solutions on logging my steep property. Yesterday I returned "home" from Thanksgiving in Athens and the Iron Bowl game and my brother (retired after 41 yrs at MSFC) lives in Athens. Our parents retired to Huntsville in '62, which was home during during my Auburn yrs, then departed to JSC in '67. I now live in O.R. but the DOE support job has ended and I and I want to move back to the Huntsville area. Monday I located some prop in Scottsboro which I could build up for retriement while possibly commuting to MDA @ Redstone, and working for a couple more yrs. Also, my new dog is a "patient" at your son's clinic. I want to speak with you please.

Chris

Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
This is a very old thread. The OP hasn't been back since July, 07.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee