Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Love those birds..... what feed are you putting out?
I keep a few kinds out. The main feeders I keep filled with a black oil sunflower mixed with berries, nuts and smaller seed. I have one filled with thistle seed for the finch types and several trays of a corn/nut mix for the blue Jays and squirrels. I also keep a squirrel block of corn/sunflower seed hanging on a bungee cord for the squirrels, wood peckers and nut hatches. I also keep a smaller finch block or typical bird bell hanging for the finches and small wood peckers. The most important part is to keep at least two clean sources of water available too.
Yea, I know, I spoil the wild life hahahahah
But no matter what I put out I have yet to be able to attract the Grosbeak that I have been trying to attract for 2 years now and I know they are around this area, just can't get them to show up in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
The leaves on that shrub/tree (can you tell I'm Laura in Natureland? ) were almost round (think fat teardrop) but thin to the touch, almost see-through, and very small (no more than 1 inch) . I'll go back to Cove Lake soon. I know exactly where I was. I'll be more observant and look at the stem, too. Maybe I'll take a better photo of it and stop by the Ranger station and ask them to tell me.

I signed up for a Nature In East Tennessee class in April. I hope I get it. I need it.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Try buying some "Cheap Peanut Butter" and some of that plastic mesh they use at wedding for favors and put a hug dollop of peanut butter and then cover with your dry seed mix and rotate into a package about the size of a apple. Hang that....The birds are able too pierce the web mesh with their beaks....

Grosbeak use just pure sun flower seed.......

Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Try buying some "Cheap Peanut Butter" and some of that plastic mesh they use at wedding for favors and put a hug dollop of peanut butter and then cover with your dry seed mix and rotate into a package about the size of a apple. Hang that....The birds are able too pierce the web mesh with their beaks....

Grosbeak use just pure sun flower seed.......
I do that with my old paper towel and t.p rolls! hahaha I slather them with peanut butter then roll them in the seed, hang it out back. Can ya tell I was a Scout Master? LOL!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM

41 posts, read 184,107 times
Default what tree?

Key to common trees of middle Tennessee
is a user friendly website for tennessee tree identification based on leaves

Old 01-05-2008, 06:44 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Default Recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I do that with my old paper towel and t.p rolls! hahaha I slather them with peanut butter then roll them in the seed, hang it out back. Can ya tell I was a Scout Master? LOL!
Good way too re-cycle.......Scout Master

Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLARD View Post
Key to common trees of middle Tennessee
is a user friendly website for tennessee tree identification based on leaves
Thanks. I like this website. It also tells me how to look at the leaves so I can use it for identification. It's better than the book I have.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Thanks. I like this website. It also tells me how to look at the leaves so I can use it for identification. It's better than the book I have.
Great! So what kind of tree was that one with the bird in it?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Laura,

I just wanted to mention that you might want to check out the Smoky Mountain Field Guide classes offered through UT. They have wildflower, bird watching and identification, other similar classes. They seem to be right up your alley.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Laura,

I just wanted to mention that you might want to check out the Smoky Mountain Field Guide classes offered through UT. They have wildflower, bird watching and identification, other similar classes. They seem to be right up your alley.
I thought about this before I moved here but I could not handle being on my feet and/or trying to keep up with a group walking from 4 to 8 hours. I've read the one-day class descriptions and anything mentioning "hike" or June - September (being out in the sun walking during those months) is out. When the class description says, "We’ll travel to various locations in the Park," I'm not sure what "travel" means since in some descriptions they come right out and say "hike."

What I would really like is a scenario like I had with my beginning photography class - we met once a week for a classroom lesson and then had a field photography assignment (based on the classroom lesson) to complete on our own for the next week's class. I would love a Bird course, for example, where you learn about waterfowl, one week and then have to go out and find them/observe them/photograph them before the next week's lesson on birds of prey or warblers or some other bird group. Ditto trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee