Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times

Advertisements

Would you know if Greeneville (Greeneville City) has trash pick up at the house, or is it one of those "u-hual-it"? Is there anything else I need to know that might be a drastic change from somebody coming from more of a "city"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Would you know if Greeneville (Greeneville City) has trash pick up at the house, or is it one of those "u-hual-it"? Is there anything else I need to know that might be a drastic change from somebody coming from more of a "city"?
Yes Greeneville City (most of the homes within the city limits) have garbage pick up but make sure to ask your Realtor about a specific house. Or when you are looking be sure to make that one of your criteria.
It really all depends on what you are used to as far as what would be a drastic change for you. For me, it was the grocery stores. I liked the big Fl store chains that had great bakeries and large variety of foods including some "gourmet" items. Took me a long time to find the store that carried capers. hahahaha The other thing was the restaurants. Sure there are the typical chain fast food places, but Greeneville only has a few nice sit down places. Off the top of my head I can think of: Fatz Café, Augistinos (good Italian place) Monterey's (Mexican food) Ryan's (good place to bring the kids) There is a Chinese buffet place on 11E but I didn't like that one at all, and a Japanese steak house. As for "fine dinning" you really have two choices, Azaleas which is really hit and miss and not my idea of fine dinning. The General Morgan Inn, which is nice.
I'm sure I am forgetting one or two but that is about it in Greeneville for restaurants.
Tell me what you are used to having around you and utilize or services you are used to getting for your tax dollar and I, or some one else here will let you know if that is available.
I hope that helps!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I concur as a former Greeneville resident. Trash pickup at the curb, I think you have the option of using a city issued trash bin.

Eating out is sparse, I don't have anything to add to the Mbmouse comments. The toughest part for me was not having a mall or decent movie theater in town. The nearest Mall is in Johnson City. Actually not that bad of a drive - 45 minutes away on a pretty country road (I always liked that drive up 11E). We have a Wallmart and Kmart and for me that was usually good enough. There are some things however that you will just not find in Greeneville and have to go to Johnson City or Knoxville - some times you just want to buy that certain music CD by that particular artist, or buy guitar strings at 2 in the morning, or get a certain high performance car part at one of the two car parts stores. You just have to realize that a small town won't have the same inventory and service as you will find in a large town.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM

Hey Dd714, you aren't going to believe this but Greeneville just opened up a movie theater with 8 screens! Can you believe it? hahahha Also there is now another car parts store to choose from too, O'Relyes and they put in a new super Wal-Mart. Yea, Greeneville went through quite a few changes last year.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM

I haven't been back in 2 years. I remember they were building the super wallmart but I didn;t know anything about the movie theater. 8 screens - that will fit the whole town population! I remember going to that dinky 2 screen theater once and after that I would drive to Johnson City to catch a movie. Gotta have my big screen dolby sound.

I really miss Greeneville, even without a decent theater.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Thanks for writing back. What I am concerned with, and I know that kids have been raised in Greeneville for many many years, and will be for many many years to come...but what is in Greeneville for children? My kids are accustomed to taking karate classes, swimming lessons, basketball lessons, playing minature golf, fishing,...are there community parks that offer any of this? What is there for kids to do? Bowling alleys?
Are there a lot of bars? Are there any "corners" that young punks hang out on?
How are they in Greeneville on de-icing the roads, and shoveling them?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM

Yes, there are things for kids to do, they have a bolling alley, a BIG YMCA that has a indoor pool, weight rooms, racket ball, tennis etc. There is a roller skating rink, I think there is a miniature golf place in Greeneville??? For the life of me I can't place it right now as to where, maybe there isn't one. hmmmm
There are several Karate places and a dance/gymnastic studio. Sports are HUGE in Greene County and all of East TN really. Every town has non school related sports programs including traveling teams as well. There are several creeks and streams to fish in in South Greene going into the Smokie Mountains off of HWY 70 and 25. There are a few local parks too.

Ok, just got clarification from the step son on the miniature golf, there is not a course in Greeneville but there are 4 in Kingsport, 1 in Bristol and about 50 between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

There is no "corner" that I know of where the trouble making kids hang out but those teenagers with cars "cruse" the strip mall and that can get annoying with those crazy booming radios they put in the low rider cars and trucks, but the police are there making them disperse so it's not like they are causing any trouble.
Yes, they treat the roads with a salt spray before and during snow and there are a few plows but it is a rather mute point as EVERYTHING shuts down even banks and some grocery stores if there is snow falling from the sky. I kid you not!

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-07-2006 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: added

Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM

I am going to interject something that MBMouse may not agree with, and with me not being a child you may take it with a grain of salt. I don't think there are alot of things for kids to do in Greeneville. Certainly it is safe, you don't have any gang problem, crime problem, or drug problem that I know of so in that sense it is great for a family to raise a kid. You have lots of outdoor activities if your children are so inclined. You don't have alot in terms of amusement parks, museams, high tech libraries, water parks, video game pavilions, or anything like that. The MTV life is not in Greeneville.

I guess I'm saying if they have short attention spans they will get bored with Greeneville real quick, if I was a teenager around 17 I would probably not like Greeneville. Again take this as from someone who is not a kid and doesn't have children living with me.

Yeah they have that Kmart that the kids cruise into with there tuner cars, or what they think are tuner cars. Mostly harmless if not just a little annoying. I have a 400 HP vette I use for drag racing in Bristol that I used to drive by there sometimes just to shut them up.

Snow removal is usually not a problem, they do pretty good at treating the roads, at least the primary ones like 11E. In any event we get quick melting. But do remember that Greeneville does have hills and you have to watch yourself during icy weather or you end up in a ditch. Roads over the mountains to NC can and do close during the winter, they don't even try to keep them open.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 PM

Yes, I do agree with you Dd714. If you are a kid that doesn't have the type of parents that drives you to all your sports events, the bowling (hey, I spelled it right this time! hahahaha) alley, roller skating rink, are members of the YMCA etc., yes, the kids will get board as even if you live in town, things are rather spread out. Good point!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 AM

Being as I used to visit people who lived in the poconos in PA, I did realize things would be spread out, so I did expect to have to be the car driver. I just wanted to make sure there was something to drive them to, and not have to drive an hour away to get to it. Does anyone know if schools have after school programs that aren't just sports? One of my children is not athletically inclined, and so he does after school programs now of computer lab, and builders club (that's a club that sends stuff out to retirement homes, soldiers at war, does fundraisers...)? Are there any "neighborhoods" in Greeneville City (not just Greene county, I would like to have Greeneville City schools) that the children can walk to their friends' houses, or are most houses spread out so that I have to drive them to it? I don't mind doing all of this, but I don't want to move to a place my children might hate...not that it should matter too much becuase my parents never asked me where I wanted to me...but I do want to think of them too.
Since my husband is a mailman, he doesn't want to have to do what he did in Philadelphia, which is when we got a snowstorm of like 8-10 inches, or more, and it was bitter bitter cold (we had record breaking temperatures alot, for cold and hot), he had to slug around in that for days on end, because it didn't melt a lot in Philadelphia, and there were times he thought his fingers would be frostbitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee