Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee housing: square foots, basements, humidity factor, switch jobs, polite people

Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 AM

163 posts, read 821,305 times

Advertisements

Hi. When I look at housing in Tennessee, most houses are more square feet then we would need . Do most houses have basements? A basement is unknown out here at least in new housing.
Is the new construction decent, out here it leaves a lot to be desired and has caused us many problems and headaches
If we ever moved from the State of Arizona, my wish list would be, beautiful scenery, nice weather, a development that would not require us to shovel snow(dreaming?), not in a city, but close to shopping, restaurants, etc.
My big concern is the humidity factor, how bad is the humidity?
My husband tells me moving to a southern state like Tennessee, we would never be accepted as we are originally from the northeast area of the country. I say he is wrong as everybody is moving from all over the country to places like N.C, S.C, Tennessee and also of course to Arizona.

Thanks for any info, thoughts, advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,634,445 times
Default moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondesertdweller View Post
Hi. When I look at housing in Tennessee, most houses are more square feet then we would need . Do most houses have basements? A basement is unknown out here at least in new housing.
Is the new construction decent, out here it leaves a lot to be desired and has caused us many problems and headaches
If we ever moved from the State of Arizona, my wish list would be, beautiful scenery, nice weather, a development that would not require us to shovel snow(dreaming?), not in a city, but close to shopping, restaurants, etc.
My big concern is the humidity factor, how bad is the humidity?
My husband tells me moving to a southern state like Tennessee, we would never be accepted as we are originally from the northeast area of the country. I say he is wrong as everybody is moving from all over the country to places like N.C, S.C, Tennessee and also of course to Arizona.

all the people from the north moved to florida. Now because of the problems with insurance and taxes
people who live in florida are trying to move out. check the florida site

Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
Default For What It Is Worth...

This is my two cents...

We've been here for over a year. I'm originally from Mass and my husband from Chicago. I lived in Florida for nine years and he lived there for 25 years...

First and foremost, Tennesseans are polite.

That can be a problem for a Northeasterner. There is no way to actually tell if they like you!

When we first got here my husband had a job within an hour. But a Yankee hired him.

The problems really began when I started looking for work and he tried to switch jobs. That's when we found out that just because someone is nice to you doesn't mean they may like you!

My husband is now working for a Southerner. Once they got to know him, they decided they liked him and they are very nice.

I finally just got hired by a half-backer. With my strong accent, I had a feeling that may happen.

Don't get me wrong. There are probably a lot of people that could care less where we came from. It's just hard to tell!

I think that the more Floridians that move here, the more resentments that are forming. I understand that. When I lived in central Mass, I resented the Bostonians that moved in and drove up the housing prices. There are a lot of Floridians that resent the northeners moving in and doing the same thing.

I find that there are a lot of nice Floridians moving in, though. I always say to my husband, "Where were these nice folks when we lived in Florida?" I guess we were all hiding in our houses and plotting our escape!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,238,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondesertdweller View Post
Why were all the posts deleted? I don't recall anything offesnsive, unless I missed something>
Anyway, anybody else care to give me their opinons.
No it wasn't you, it was the poster you responded to and because it was a direct response to him your was deleted too. He has been causing troubles for a while, sorry about that. We try to keep this board moderated to let those who need and want it, exchange information about the cities and states, but there is at least one in every crowd. please don't feel offended, and keep up the great posting!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM

94 posts, read 386,215 times
Wink I think your Husband is wrong too

Quote:

I was born and raised in the small town of Pikeville, TN. and I can remember a time when you could look at a school yearbook and recognize all the names.

Now, I can see lots of new names and faces. This is obviously from the fact that people are moving into the area. Of course it also proves that people have been slowing moving in here for years--not just all of a sudden.

In regards to your husband's notion that you will not be accepted--I can only say this. I have several friends that are transplants from the northeast. I'm talking New York, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, just to name a few examples.

Every single one of these friends are well respected and are considered to be exceptional people--no one makes an issue out of their previous origins.

I know there will be people who may not like you...unfortunately there will always be people like this. My advice is to move down here if that is what you want to do--Do what it takes to make your own happiness and ignore those that most likely have issues themselves.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--the people that "doesn't like you" may not as popular here as they think. Kerry

Old 11-07-2006, 08:01 AM

A small note on this subject of "locals not liking Northerners or outsiders".
I think it is more of a "we don't want people who were not raised here coming and changing our way of life". If you like the area you chose because of the way it is, leave it that way and enjoy it. If you like the price of the land and house but want everything you had where you came from, you will end up with wanting to move again for the same reasons you moved from the previous home town.
Just my 2 cents.

p.s. I am a "half backer" I was born and raised in CT then spent 11 years in Fl. I love it here as does my family. Sure, sometimes I still get the "dang Yankee" remark, but it is always with a smile and I just smile back....it's all good.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:51 AM

163 posts, read 821,305 times
Thanks KKLlynt & mbmouse. I understand what you guys are saying. The part about changing our way of life, we moved to Arizona because we liked the way it was, well not everything, but understood that we were the newcomers, we expected some change meaning more housing, etc, but whew not the rapid change, I call it the suburban desert where we live. hehe
Big concern we have is quality of the housing? Meaning are the builders doing good work?
Most likely we will end up staying in Arizona, but ya never know.
Tennesee just interests me as I hear its very beautiful and the no income tax is a plus.
Do most area's have mountain views, I got used to looking at mountains every day, a lot of people don't realize we have mountains out here in the desert.
People can call me almost anything if its meant in fun! I don't mind

Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 PM

I believe (and I know some will disagree with me on this) but compared to the quality of the "Cookie cutter, throw them up in less than a month" building that is popping up all over many states (Fl especially) there is more quality in the work here in East TN. It all depends on the builder of course. Some builders only hire local sub contractors that specialize in there part of the building process which means (to me) they do a better job and know what they are doing. There are some builder that hire any Joe-Shmo that wants to work for a day and can swing a hammer, I really don't see much of that here in the Tri-Cities area. Yes some houses have basements.
Here I see the mountains in the distance, and not so distance everyday just about any where I go, I LOVE it!
Yes for a few weeks in mid summer, the humidity can get bad, but it does not last long, so I have found it to not bother me near as much as it did in FL. We don't get hurricanes or tornadoes either, I love the season changes and there isn't much snow in the winter. I wish there was more to be honest. If you are looking for a development that will shovel the snow for you??? Never heard of that here but I think there are few like that over by Nashville in a town called Brentwood, but the house prices reflect that kind of services too.
Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee