U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 12,619 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I currently live in Arizona and am looking at moving sometime in the future. As I continue to explore my options about where I possibly want to go, I have looked at several states and one of them is Tennessee. I would like to find somewhere that has four seasons or a variety of weather, friendly people, and somewhere that is not really congested with a lot of traffic. That is one reason why I am looking to move away from Phoenix is because of all the traffic around here during the entire year.

Therefore, can someone suggest a particular area or a couple of cities that I might be interested in throughout Tennessee? I am fine with living in a suburb outside of a metropolitan area that is not highly congested and driving into the city for work or somewhere that is an outskirt, but not so far out that I have to drive 45 minutes or more to the nearest store.

Thanks for your help in advance and I look forward to hearing your responses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 PM

410 posts, read 696,609 times
Tennessee has something to fit most anyone's criterion. Being in Arizona, do you want to stay with the mountain setting? If so, you'll want to look at the eastern part of the state. It's certainly a beautiful area. You could actually consider something east of Nashville and find yourself in the foothills of the Smoky's. Nashville is a very cosmopolitan city, probably a lot of traffic, but most likely not what you currently experience. If you like a smaller but thriving city in the mountains, take a strong look at Chattanooga. It's surrounded my mountains. Also keep in mind these mountains are totally different than what you have out west. They are covered in dense tree landscapes and are just beautiful three seasons per year.

Also take a look at Memphis. There is much to do with a great music scene, great eats, best pork bbq in the world, sights, sounds and soul! Located right on the Mississippi River, you'll be hard pressed not to find something to do that fits your style. You're a few hours from the Ozark Mountains, and there are plenty of great surrounding cities within 15 minutes of the city limits.

Come on over and give Tennessee a visit. Spend a week or so and start from west to east. There's much to see and do.

Best of luck!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM

29,065 posts, read 21,884,296 times
Nashville may fit the bill, but is getting expensive, crowded, and thus traffic is becoming an issue. I'd recommend Knoxville or Chattanooga. I have nearly no knowledge of Memphis. As always, TN is a tough state to find work in, so have a job before you come.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,395,455 times
Chattanooga is the place you need to be, so load up the bus and move to Tennessee.
While Chattanooga is surrounded by mountains... 3-4 K ft level they are not that big, pretty yes...

Tennessee like most other places has a shortage of no/low skills jobs. Most of the industrial jobs are thru a temp-service company. Limited benefits and promotional opportunities. Skilled/ blue collar jobs are limited but the medical field seems to be doing pretty good. If you have no skills, no formal job training and/or no higher education then finding a job here will be hard. Just so you know before you get here...

Old 02-16-2015, 10:41 PM

356 posts, read 753,050 times
My wife and I have been looking to semi retire in TN and have found Chattanooga or Knoxville to be very appealing. The traffic seems easier to deal with compared to Nashville and if you want to visit Nashville it is a easy drive from Chattanooga or Knoxville. Both Chattanooga and Knoxville seemed to have good housing options in the outlaying suburbs too.

If you plan to visit the areas don't short yourself on time, the wife and I made that mistake last summer.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 12,619 times
Thank you all VERY much for your insight and help with my question! I will have to eventually try to make it out to Tennessee to see the area myself. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for me and where I will end up living and working :-)

Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM

4,923 posts, read 5,391,023 times
Move to Nashville or East TN they both rock.. I am moving from Kentucky to TN this summer can't wait. TN is a friendly state but have a job ready because Nashville is getting pretty expensive now, its a trendy place to move to. Good Luck.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 26,013 times
I'm a Michigan home owner retiring soon. Eastern Tennessee seems like a great area. Like the other posters said Knoxville-Chattanooga and their suburbs look excellent and very close to the mountains

Old 02-19-2015, 05:55 PM

215 posts, read 326,409 times
if I were you I would not come to live in Nashville.

visit? yeah

of course I guess it depends on your line of work or what you plan to do to make a living when you get here but the thing about Nashville is-I that about 5-10yrs ago or more all the sudden people from all over started coming here because it had good job opportunities.

but since then, they took all the jobs, there's not half as many left, it's harder to get a job, harder to keep one if you get one, the cost of living is higher where as before people came here because it was lower, and yes the traffic is not too bad except for rush hour then its horrible. Not NYC horrible but by Nashville standards its horrible

even jobs here that used to be considered very good jobs for unskilled workers to have for a very long time like working at UPS or FedEx are now jobs that people ay are not good anymore, they don't pay as much as before and worse, even at those places now alot of people don't know if they will still be working there one week to the next where traditionally a job like that here meant stability

people came here got the job opportunities, got the low-cost homes/apartments and then started to ruin it all since now its harder to find a job more than ever and the cost of living is worse than ever.

they screwed everything up.

even our best business, the Medical field, people are leaving it more now to go to places like Texas or Louisiana because they have more job opportunities for them there and Nashville is known as a lace where the medical profession, whether a nurse or doctor usually has a large market and plenty of opportunity.

Knoxville, Chattanooga, if you're big cities with a small town feel, then don't ever lose that small town feel.

I have a feeling things will gradually get worse for Nashville. Too many people still coming in and too little opportunities for the people already here now but with more traffic, more gentrification and a higher cost of living many working class Nashvillians simply cant afford and are forcing to move out.

but just like one poster already said, you need to seriously have a job already lined up before you get here or else you'd be doing temp work or paid under the table and wont know where or what you'll be from one week to the next.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM

215 posts, read 326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Move to Nashville or East TN they both rock.. I am moving from Kentucky to TN this summer can't wait. TN is a friendly state but have a job ready because Nashville is getting pretty expensive now, its a trendy place to move to. Good Luck.
Kentuckians are always welcome in Tennessee

Nashville or anywhere else.

just as long as you can support both the Vols and Wildcats at the same time, it shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or