Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,993,377 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

For the few that remember me, I've been separated from the wife and kids now for about 8 months when I left them in WA and took a job with the railroad, due to my inability to find a job in TN after getting out of the military. I had a glimmer of hope with the Accuforce lady, but could never get in contact with her, so that was a dead end, thanks to MBMouse for trying to help, sorry it didn't work out.

So I've made a decision (sort of) to move to East TN. I'm flying from Alabama to WA state, next week to drive the wife and son to TN to live with my mom, while my wife looks for a place to rent and enrolls my son in school. Meanwhile, I'll stay in Alabama earning a paycheck working 80 hours a week , while getting paid for 40 (gotta love those salary jobs).

This move does 2 things:

1. Puts my family closer to my relatives and closer to me, now I can see them on the weekends (5 hour drive).

2. It gives my wife and son a chance to see if they like TN, if they don't I can stay with the railroad and they can move with me or we can all move back to WA state.

Now a logistics dilemma, I live in a hotel in Alabama, my household goods have been in storage with the movers since April last year.

Question: Do I have the wife rent a house and have all of our stuff delivered or does she rent an apartment and leave the stuff in storage until we find a more permanent location to rent and/or buy?

2nd Question: How long should I wait before making a commitment to move to TN, it's kind of scary, as the job situation in TN is not great now, and with the country going into recession, it may get worse there, not better.

Last question: My mom is in East TN and my sister is in W. NC, hence the move to East TN, but it seems that there may be more jobs and cheaper housing in middle TN (Nashville, Clarksville). I'd like to be near my relatives, but providing for my family is more important, should I consider middle TN?

Any thoughts?

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,233,099 times
All I can say is I am sorry Tony, I tried, I really tried.
Which ever way it works out I am glad you will be closer to the family. That is the most important thing.
What happened to the RV?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
What happened to the RV?
I was living in the RV in Missiouri, when I was moved to Alabama, it is a temp assignment, so the railroad is paying for it. That's nice, and I'm living at the Marriott, cool beans.

No worries about the job thing, I'm glad you tried. See ya in the funny papers

Tony

Old 01-12-2008, 05:35 AM

849 posts, read 2,944,049 times
Tony - First timeI posted to you, but good luck. I know you've made the right decision getting the family closer to you. That just had to be brutal not seeing your wife and family, I can not imagine. I wish I could offer you some leads, but since I don't live in the state, I probably can't be of much help.

You've probably posted this earlier, but what type of work are you looking for? My best wishes for you and your reunited family!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,096,424 times
Smile So glad you are going to be reunited with your family, 1790!

Tony, it is great to see you posting again on the forum. I am so happy that you and your family will be close enough to see each other on the weekends. It will be good for you and your wife, but also, wonderful to have you back into his life on a steady basis.

I am so sorry to hear that the job prospects have not panned out. It is difficult for any of us, I think, to give you an opinion on where you should decide on settling or where to concentrate your job efforts. This seems to be a decision only you and your family could - and should - make.

I did want to tell you from experience that moving belongings out of storage into a temporary home and then moving them again into the permanent home is a very costly venture.

On two of our relocations where we were waiting 6 months or so each time for our house to be ready, we moved only a few essentials into the temp housing. Only things we absolutely needed (beds, table, chairs) and left the rest in storage. It was really roughing it for those 6 months, but we managed and it was made easier by looking forward to what we were going to have soon. It was much cheaper to leave things in storage and pay for the storage area than to move twice.

If I were you I would actually make a spreadsheet with all costs (and possible unpredictable costs) laid out for both scenarios and see how the figures line up for you.

Best of all, you will all be within reaching out distance, your son will be able to get close to his grandparents and extended family again, your wife will have some daily emotional and physical support from family and you are moving forward.

Best of everything to you and the family. Please keep us posted.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks all,

I received a phone call to apply for a job in Johnson City (thanks MBMouse for the lead). I'll let you know how it pans out.

And I'm definitely now thinking that putting my HHG into storage and renting a small place with just the essentials is the way to go, until we find something to buy or rent long term.

Tony

Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,096,424 times
That sounds great, Tony! See, good things do happen to good people!

Let us know about the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee