Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
I believe that most people that complain about the sales tax in TN are the ones who pay little if any federal income tax, and there for would pay little or no state income tax. You just can’t get out of paying sales tax other than limiting what you buy.
You're right! So I think that is the point in a higher sales tax. Everyone pays something this way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Amen! Don't want to pay tax on that loaf of bread? Bake it yourself. Grow some tomatoes yourself instead of buying. It also encourages us to be more mindful of our belongings and our food and less wasteful in my opinion.

But the increase in sales tax is more than compensated for by the lack of income tax--which we pay tax on every dime we make!
Like Tennessee, here in Texas we don't pay an income tax, but our property taxes are quite high. Our groceries are not taxed though, and neither are prescription medicines. We do have 8.5% sales tax where I live in Texas.

Oh, I'd love to be able to grow my own tomatoes (and other veggies)! It's something I'm told is very, very difficult to do in our climate. It just gets too hot for them here - too hot, too fast and they burn up.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Default It is a very fair tax system for all income levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
You're right! So I think that is the point in a higher sales tax. Everyone pays something this way!
And, they should be paying what they can afford. If you are lower income, I would suggest that you do not buy a lot of consumer goods, thus, lower sales tax/yearly.

If you have a higher income, you will probably be buying more consumer goods - including groceries. (You probably will spend more on your food than Mrs. Low Income because you can afford better cuts of beef, more fresh fruits and veggies, wine, etc. - and TWINKIES!) Therefore, you will be paying more in sales taxes than the lower income folks. Very fair.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake.Lady View Post
In Arizona we paid $2,000 a year for our motorhome registration, here it's $85! That alone more than makes up any difference in sales tax. Then there are our cars and boats to register.......and property taxes are cheaper, car insurance is cheaper and no income tax. Not only do we save money living here, but it's BEAUTIFUL here with the friendliest people I've ever met. I couldn't imagine living anywhere but here.
Very true. Not to mention, In California, they were charging $650 a year for tax on a small boat, just for the honor of owning it. Plus state income tax.$$$$

Yes. You're right. $2000 a year in Arizona vs. $85. a year in Tennessee for a motorhome.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Anywhere from $400-$600 for registration per year for your normal vehicle out west compared to under $100 here in Tennessee.

Let's see?
Beer and cigarettes=cheapers out west.
OMG, I'm a heathen.

Pricre of gas= 30-50 cents per gallon less in Tennessee.

I'll take Tennessee over any of those west coast states any day of the week.
Not to mention, the people here are way nicer that the people out west.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM

200 posts, read 683,934 times
I thought I would about die when we went to Cookeville and bought groceries and saw the different taxes but I do agree - I think in the long run TN may come out better than other states....it was just that initial shock to see such high sales tax on such a little amount of food! Was not ready for that. But as I read your comments above it makes sense and I do think it comes out better. Right now, even though I live in FL, my property taxes are lower than TN (that is because we have a 3% cap on taxes down here plus homestead exemption of 25,000 in our home of 10 yrs old) but we can't move to any other place in FL or we will get zapped! So I guess it is somewhat like "darned it you do and darned if ya don't" - mildly put!
But over all it was the initial shock of buying groceries at Walmart that made me go "WHOA BETSY!".....but ok now once I felt my heartbeat back and look at the FULL PICTURE!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
In Florida - Naples specifically - property taxes exceeded in many areas the tens of thousands of dollars a year. And the deduction for Homestead was a measly $25,000 of your property's value, which came out to very very little.

Now, I've got a 5 bedroom 2552 sq ft home on 7.25 acres and my taxes are $300 a year. That puts us way ahead of where we came from.

No complaints here!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
In Florida - Naples specifically - property taxes exceeded in many areas the tens of thousands of dollars a year. And the deduction for Homestead was a measly $25,000 of your property's value, which came out to very very little.

Now, I've got a 5 bedroom 2552 sq ft home on 7.25 acres and my taxes are $300 a year. That puts us way ahead of where we came from.

No complaints here!
Wish my taxes were that low. We have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath manufactured home on 6.5 acres and pay $1000 yr in taxes. We cannot wait to get out of here! I won't mention car insurance and all the other overpriced stuff we also have to pay.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 AM

177 posts, read 792,855 times
Here in LA (in and around N.O.) we have 8.75% or 9% sales tax in addition to state income tax and property tax. Sounds like a good deal to me in TN.

One question: the tax on food here is only 4%, not the full 9%. This helps reduce the tax burden on less fortunate (poor) people who are presumably buying mostly just food. Is that true in TN?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
One question: the tax on food here is only 4%, not the full 9%. This helps reduce the tax burden on less fortunate (poor) people who are presumably buying mostly just food. Is that true in TN?
no. i think if it meets some "special food rules" it gets knocked down to 8.25%... whoo hoo! i mean apparently those of us who make $20K should have to pay the same tax on a loaf of bread as those who make $100K. oh well.

(in IL, the income tax is a whopping 3%. I don't own property so I don't know about property taxes, but I'm sure it gets passed down in my rent.)

Old 01-22-2008, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
Thanks for all the info about taxes (property, income, sales tax). My finance and I are looking around for a great place to relocate (we currently live in PA) and Eastern Tennessee seems to fit the bill. Want to hear about THE dumbest tax? It is called the "Right to work tax". You pay anywhere from $10 - 52.50 per year depending on what township you work in. Doesnt sound like a lot, but PA is about taxing us to death. Our home is on a little less than 1 acre, and is valued at about $90,000 and our property and school taxes add up to $1600 per year. (and 6% sales tax on certain things, and personal income tax-not sure on the % - around 3 maybe). Anyway, thanks for the insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee