Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 04:37 PM

21 posts, read 70,883 times

Advertisements

I and my wife are both retired and want to leave the cold snow and fuel cost
We just spent a week traveling thru Middle Tenn. and love it. We would like to find a rural country home but I have a 10 yr old that has to go to school. We want to rent first until we a chance to find our forever home. I find alot of homes on the main drag but you don't find much for sale in the mountains. Is there a site that deals with rural mountain areas ? We want to be as self sufficient as our health allows , so nothing big. We mainly keep to ourselves but I am a handyman and I love helping people in need. Here in Michigan , I rehab foreclosed homes and help out the elderly when needed. I would like to make the move asap/ before another winter sets in. Any guidance is well received. I met alot of kind people in my travel and am looking forward to living in the volunteer state for the rest of my life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
When I was looking to buy our retirement home, I used Crye-Leike real estate and UnitedCountry. Both have good websites but United Country uses its own listings. Crye-Leike is linked to the MLS in the area.

Welcome to TN. We moved here from NYC and are very happy here. I just helped another retired couple move from northern IL to my area of SW TN. But if you have a 10 yr old, this particular area doesn't have the best schools. Home schooling is prevalent in most of TN from what I see.

Giles county is going to have more snow than other areas but it's truly rural and you probably will like it. I can't give any advice to that county as I specifically looked south of I-40 when we were looking.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:10 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter200343 View Post
I and my wife are both retired and want to leave the cold snow and fuel cost
We just spent a week traveling thru Middle Tenn. and love it. We would like to find a rural country home but I have a 10 yr old that has to go to school. We want to rent first until we a chance to find our forever home. I find alot of homes on the main drag but you don't find much for sale in the mountains. Is there a site that deals with rural mountain areas ? We want to be as self sufficient as our health allows , so nothing big. We mainly keep to ourselves but I am a handyman and I love helping people in need. Here in Michigan , I rehab foreclosed homes and help out the elderly when needed. I would like to make the move asap/ before another winter sets in. Any guidance is well received. I met alot of kind people in my travel and am looking forward to living in the volunteer state for the rest of my life
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. The title of your thread says Giles County, but your post says you want to be in the mountains. Giles County is nowhere near the mountains.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
The "mountains" aren't that tall by east TN standards, and are quite puny by Sierra Nevada standards. They aren't your coastal thrust mountains, but are nothing more than eroded plateau; it's more a case of low valleys than it is mountains. What this means is that if you are on top of one you won't get the majestic views.

But if you are used to flat land in the mid-west, then Giles County could appear quite mountainous.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 AM

Giles county is in southern middle Tennessee , south of Pulaski and is nice area from what I seen but I know eastern TN has more mountains and larger area and more snow. I looked at Giles county area because I have kin living there but its not all that I am open to.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
What's your maximum rent/mortgage? Two bedrooms?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:12 PM

I would like it a 3+ bedroom and as cheap as I can get, I do the repairs to keep rent cheap

Old 04-23-2015, 12:46 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Some idea of your budget beyond "cheap" would help.

Also probably 3/4 of the counties in TN are rural, what are your other requirements? It's hard to recommend anything with so little to go on. The mountains are on the extreme eastern and southeastern edge of the state.

The more rural area you are in, the fewer customers you are going to have for your handyman services. Most rural people (farming-types) are awfully handy themselves and probably are not able to pay for those services that they, or their close neighbors, could do for free. You would do better if you were in a rural area NEAR some suburban, or retirement type, communities to provide you with some customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee