Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcb View Post
I live close to Antioch. I don't think that we even got a snow flake.

Alleycat, I was also fascinated by the same weatherman standing on the side of the road in Maury county yesterday afternoon/evening. He was getting soaking wet for some reason. I think his name is Davis Nolan. That's channel 2 for you. They obsess over the weather. I bet that a much higher percentage of their newscasts are devoted to the weather than any other local station. They really could have just told us that it was starting to snow in Maury county.
That was him. I find that all the stations obsess about the weather these days. They have all those fancy radars now and I guess they feel like they need to use them. If one little thunderclouds shows up within a hundred miles of Nashville these days they will start talking about tornadoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
I don't know, sometimes i feel that Franklin County is the 'red-headed step-child' when it comes to weather. Nashville seems to feel that we are too far away to be bothered with.. and Huntsville ignores us because we are in Tennessee, albeit only 30 miles away. Sometimes we will have horrific storms and only hear about them after they are over. If they are moving N to S, Huntsville stations don't get concerned until they pass into Alabama. If they are moving S to N we are unprepared by Nashville and only lucky if Huntsville includes us... A few years ago we had a tornado in our community that did some pretty widespread damage. Nary a warning until after it was over.... then because it was 'news' here come the TV cameras from all directions to watch us cleaning up! I kinda wish that someone would obsess a little more with 'far-flung' locations instead of just the nearby ones.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
I don't know, sometimes i feel that Franklin County is the 'red-headed step-child' when it comes to weather. Nashville seems to feel that we are too far away to be bothered with.. and Huntsville ignores us because we are in Tennessee, albeit only 30 miles away. Sometimes we will have horrific storms and only hear about them after they are over. If they are moving N to S, Huntsville stations don't get concerned until they pass into Alabama. If they are moving S to N we are unprepared by Nashville and only lucky if Huntsville includes us... A few years ago we had a tornado in our community that did some pretty widespread damage. Nary a warning until after it was over.... then because it was 'news' here come the TV cameras from all directions to watch us cleaning up! I kinda wish that someone would obsess a little more with 'far-flung' locations instead of just the nearby ones.
Yeah, the Nashville stations cover about as far south as Shelbyville and Tullahoma, but not much further unless something significant is happening. Is there no television stations in Chattanooga that covers your area? You might think about getting one of those weather alert radio; I have one and it's nice to have. You can set it so you only get alerts for your particular county.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
The weather-alert radio is a good idea and worth looking into. Chattanooga stations can't be received here by DirecTV or by the rabbit-eared TV. There's some big old mountains in between here and there that interfere i reckon.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
The weather-alert radio is a good idea and worth looking into. Chattanooga stations can't be received here by DirecTV or by the rabbit-eared TV. There's some big old mountains in between here and there that interfere i reckon.
I occasionally chat with one of the TV personalities here (news rather than weather) . . . I'll mention to him sometime that people in your area don't feel like they are covered enough by the Nashville weather alerts for severe weather.

I have a Midland weather alert radio and it has all the options anyone could want (and it doubles as a little desktop regular radio as well). I don't know whether they still make that model or not. If you like, I can go see if Amazon carries it (I think that's where I got mine from).

Old 01-17-2008, 05:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default Snow in the Tri-Cities today

We got some snow.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 AM

All the kids around the Nashville area were disappointed . . . when they went to bed there was snow, when they woke up it was all gone.

Since I have no desire to spend any more time than I do now looking at the rear end of semi-trucks on I-40 . . . I was glad it was gone.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 AM

189 posts, read 914,633 times
Thanks for the snow pictures. My desire to see snow is now totally satisfied and I am ready for Spring.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to talk to my friend yet, but I did contact WSMV, Channel Four, about your area not getting severe weather alerts. I'll let you know what they say when I hear back from them.

There's no reason for any town in Tennessee not to get alerts when there's a dangerous situation in our area.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,168 times
I was in Chattanooga, Soddy-Daisy to be exact, for the week and was lucky enough to get caught in the snow the last night I was there. It was my first time being in snow since I was little so I had great fun. Sorry for the boring pictures but I was more focused on having fun then taking pictures. Gave me another reason to bump up my move to TN.

The weather was so nice all week. Even in the 30s it was really pleasant in Soddy. I guess because there was no breeze to cause a wind chill.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/Gator302/IMG_3794.jpg (broken link)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/Gator302/IMG_3808.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee