Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM

21 posts, read 70,890 times

Advertisements

I have been all over the Tennessee sites looking for a place in the country for us to relocate for awhile until we find our forever home in lower middle Tennessee . I didn't realize it was so expensive down there and unless your rich , you can find nothing outside of town or a city. I read it was the best state to live if your retired, disabled, or on SSI ---- Where ? We are on a fixed income and have children in school . Would love to find something rural where the kids can learn animals,gardening,earth, learn how to make it with less Could anyone out there, Please point me in the right direction? I chose this area because of mild winters and less snow than we get in Michigan. We keep to ourselves and I do handyman work as SSI just has a hard time getting month to month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:51 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter200343 View Post
I have been all over the Tennessee sites looking for a place in the country for us to relocate for awhile until we find our forever home in lower middle Tennessee . I didn't realize it was so expensive down there and unless your rich , you can find nothing outside of town or a city. I read it was the best state to live if your retired, disabled, or on SSI ---- Where ? We are on a fixed income and have children in school . Would love to find something rural where the kids can learn animals,gardening,earth, learn how to make it with less Could anyone out there, Please point me in the right direction? I chose this area because of mild winters and less snow than we get in Michigan. We keep to ourselves and I do handyman work as SSI just has a hard time getting month to month.
I'm not sure where you read that. Apparently TN has a lower cost of living than many areas of the country, lower property taxes and utilities and no state income tax. This state also has a high sales tax and high unemployment rate. If one has done well in wealthier states, made a good profit on the sale of their property and has a generous retirement they can do very well. If you are needing work or living on SSI or disability you will no doubt have to struggle like many native born Tennesseans.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure where you read that. Apparently TN has a lower cost of living than many areas of the country, lower property taxes and utilities and no state income tax. This state also has a high sales tax and high unemployment rate. If one has done well in wealthier states, made a good profit on the sale of their property and has a generous retirement they can do very well. If you are needing work or living on SSI or disability you will no doubt have to struggle like many native born Tennesseans.
This is probably the most accurate advice I've seen in a good while.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
I will be retiring to TN and chose it because of the water-rivers and lakes-for recreation, but with lots of consideration about the taxes and fees. I currently live in CA.

I highly recommend TN for someone with an income that is NOT based on the job market in TN, such as those with retirement income or trust fund income (that is not stock market based).

But would not recommend it, based on my research, for someone who would possibly need assistance. California, NY, FL, MI are all good for those living on the edge, possibly needing assistance. They have much more in social service programs to assist with everything from food to utilities to housing. You really should look for states that supplement the SSD\I, provide lots of access to food banks, have programs for free and reduced utility rates, supplement/provide medical coverage for free, add to the federal SNAP program. With kids, you should look for the school systems that provide breakfast, lunch and send home backpacks of food for their dinner. TN is NOT a nanny state and does not tax at a high enough rate to provide the vast nanny services offered by other states.

If you do move into TN, you might want to choose an area near retirement areas just to be able to use the handyman skills. Many folks in TN seem to do things themselves or do not have much money.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
OP, you don't really give us any idea about your current income, or if your spouse has income. What amount are you hoping to live on? Certain areas have better employment opportunities than others. I live in an area southwest of Knoxville, in a retirement oriented community (Tellico Village). Many seniors live here who make use of handymen, painters, gardeners, plumbers, remodelers, etc. Of course we all talk, so the folks who do good work get great referrals. Those who don't, well they just won't make it here. I know several painters and handymen who actually make a full-time job just from this community (over 3000 homes). In the neighboring towns (Vonore, Loudon, Lenoir City) there are homes/apartments for sale or rent at very reasonable prices. There are also many factory jobs around here as we have quite a few large employers with jobs coming available regularly in production. There is Searay boat manufacturing, an auto glass manufacturer, a tile manufacturer, a mushroom farm, and many, many more. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee