Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,824,222 times

Advertisements

The common responses I hear are the climate, lower cost of living, less traffic and smaller population. I myself, would love to move to Tennessee but I don't know anyone up there which is a bummer. I could easily transfer my job up there. I really want to live in the Appalachian Mountains and experience the four seasons. Knoxville would probably be a nice fit for me!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,070,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
The common responses I hear are the climate, lower cost of living, less traffic and smaller population. I myself, would love to move to Tennessee but I don't know anyone up there which is a bummer. I could easily transfer my job up there. I really want to live in the Appalachian Mountains and experience the four seasons. Knoxville would probably be a nice fit for me!
Probably so. Chattanooga is also a good option for people looking for outdoor options.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:00 PM

37,739 posts, read 40,793,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
I have a philosphy of some of the people who are moving here. Some are "half backs" They are yankees who have moved from the Northeast US and moved to Florida. They miss their "seasons" and want to be a little closer to home. Maybe Florida was too hot, maybe too humid. So they move half way back to TN, NC, GA, SC -- there are a lot of them.
Research says they mostly go to NC if they are retirees in Florida originally from the northeast. My theory is they want to be fairly close to I-95.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 AM

284 posts, read 359,871 times
I'm originally from West Virginia, but have lived in Mississippi since my teens, so guess I understand a bit about both Appalachian and southern culture. We're planning to move in retirement soon and looked seriously at the Florida Panhandle. While we do love to vacation there and think the beaches can't be beat, we feel the heat, humidity, tourists and traffic would get old fast. We found an area just southwest of Knoxville that we absolutely love. Like those moving from Florida, we've decided that we want to be close to the lakes and mountains and to escape the extreme heat and humidity we have for most of the year. The thing I noticed on our last visit was the genuinely warm attitude that we felt everywhere from the realtor, to the residents, the store clerks, the waitresses, pretty much everyone we encountered. There was such a sense of familiarity about it for me and I love the fact that although I'll be moving several hundred miles away, I'll still be in a place that feels like home.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,668,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffcity View Post
I live in West Tennessee for almost 10 years now and thinking of moving to Orlando area. but see so many people move from Florida to Tennessee, wonder why? in my opinion, Florida has beach, more shopping options and low taxes similar to TN. except job is hard to find, why people are leaving FL?

Okay, didn't read much further than your post.......Orlando doesn't have a beach. Sales taxes are low, but property taxes are high, insurance is high too.
It used to be a beautiful place to live even for the not so rich. . I lived in Jupiter when I was young....many, many years ago, it used to be beautiful, now it is strip malls. I lived in Melbourne, when it was okay, now it sucks. West coast isn't so bad as long as you have lots of money. And Oh My God the traffic....Orlando traffic is even more terrible than the coastal areas.
It all depends on the type of person you are. Do you enjoy hot weather? Are you easy going? What do you like about West Tennessee? When you say West Tn do you mean rural or Memphis? If it is Memphis you may be fine.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffcity View Post
I live in West Tennessee for almost 10 years now and thinking of moving to Orlando area. but see so many people move from Florida to Tennessee, wonder why? in my opinion, Florida has beach, more shopping options and low taxes similar to TN. except job is hard to find, why people are leaving FL?
I moved to the Orlando area from Toronto, Canada almost three years ago to be with my husband. he's originally from New England. Initially, I was excited about the move, but I have to let you know that visiting Florida and living in Florida are two very different things, as I'm sure is the case with every other place.

My husband and I love the beach and were originally situated in Lighthouse Point (South FL) but work is what originally landed us in the Orlando area. We are about 1 hour and 40 mins from the East coast and 2 hours and 15 mins from the West coast now, working full time it's difficult to get out to either coast and enjoy it very much. If you enjoy being near the beach and are able to find work there, I would suggest living as close to the beach as possible ..

We love the outdoors; hiking, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc. but find we can't fully enjoy all of these activities either. Hiking somehow isn't the same in a humid environment, except during the lovely Florida winters. We find we are limited as to the sort of activities we can do in Florida freshwater because of the very obvious issue of alligators. I have kayaked and paddle boarded in freshwater, but for me personally, there's a bit of an uneasy feeling knowing that a gator could be lurking around nearby.

The crime down here seems to be a pretty serious issue..... In terms of traffic, it doesn't bother me since I've experienced pretty bad traffic in the Toronto area

After almost three years of living here, I'm definitely ready for a change of scenery. We are those people currently that have been spoiled by the hot Florida weather, but at the same time really can't handle the six months of humidity nor do we want to deal with super harsh New England or Canadian winters at this point... Due to our current work flexibility, we are actually doing some research on whether to relocate to TN, GA or NC - we are very interested in the mountain lifestyle and love the idea of being close to National Parks and Forests that we can enjoy year round.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 PM

9,002 posts, read 10,132,581 times
From the many many people I talk to from all over the world.....

Tennessee is far more appealing than Florida, for countless reasons.....

Nashville is a dream destination for lots of people I know (including myself lol)

But the general consensus about Florida is that it's got way too many tourists,
too many transients & too many uneducated people.
The schools in Fl. are notoriously bad...

Gosh I could go on & on, lol
Add to that the low paying jobs, the insanely humid hot hellish weather....
Plus all the bizarre news stories....

I think I just summed up why people choose anywhere else lol

Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 PM

388 posts, read 533,592 times
My fiance and I are planning on possibly moving from Florida to Tennessee
(see //www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...-va-ca-co.html)

We are looking at different cities, but Knoxville appears to be the clear front-runner.

Our main motivation is weather. We are very tired of the constant heat and humidity. We want seasons. Leaves changing. We also rather have the mountains than the pure flat Florida land.

DIGITALNOMAD143:
I have lived in Florida all my life (currently in Tampa, originally from Miami until 7 years ago) and so has my fiance (all in Tampa except a few years in the east coast.)

I am one of the rare breed that is not a beach person.

DANIELJ72
You hit it pretty much in the head.
I always tell people about Miami... Great place to visit, would not recommend to live there. Hot, crowded, expensive... and full of rude people. If you love food and/or the nightlife, visit Miami (only things I miss of Miami is the food and the "24 hr-ness" of the city.) If you love the beach, then the Tampa Bay area has some of the best rated beaches in the country.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 11,663 times
Im from S Florida and Tennessee is less crowded...its cooler...less expensive and you get more property for your dollar...plus its still Southern.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,364,832 times
Because they're actually from there and know it's not all it's cracked up to be? Florida is not really the paradise y'all make it out to be. I grew up there, and Denton ain't no paradise neither lol but I prefer living here a lot more. The economy is tanking there, there's high crime and poverty in a lot of areas. The only really bad area in Tennessee is probably Memphis.

My family takes lots of vacations to Tennessee, up into the mountains. It's so nice to experience other seasons there, as opposed to just wet and hot and warm and dry in Florida. That's one draw up there. Also, more southern hospitality which has been lost in South Florida, and instead replaced with abrasive rudeness and lack of courtesy. A better place to raise one's kids. My aunt and her nuclear family nearly moved to the North Carolina mountains, planned to retire there, and her son buy a farm where they will live and work. But she had a grandson born last year and things got complicated so moving got on hold. One of the appeal is the scenery, the weather, the peace and quiet, a more friendly and welcoming culture etc. etc.

I love Tennessee whenever I am there, and would dread returning to Florida. Back to rude people who think everyone else should speak Spanish instead of them learning English, terrible drivers and non-stop heat and humidity. Remember, when it's August and 99 degrees in Nashville, at least it won't last so long like in Florida lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee