Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june0602 View Post
If you don't think living in FL in the heat and humidity will affect your breathing, you're wrong. We have several friends with heart conditions and they have to leave in the summer. If you haven't spent an entire summer down here, you should. I know it's hot and humid in TN, as well as other places, but at least it doesn't last for 8-10 months a year. One of the reasons we're moving. As far as allergies, nothing here dies - there's no "winter" to kill off allergans. I have family members who suffer 365 days a year. Not trying to be negative, just letting you know.
I have been to FL many times in all seasons and Summer several times. No heart problems so the air issues are lung related and at the beach it is wayyy better than where I now live in TN. Allergies are also no problem for me, it is the pollutants in the air. I have compared the TN area and FL area I am looking at and the difference is huge. I appreciate your thoughts, but ... well a doctors appointment next month will probably settle it as to it being time to move..

Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I lived in Southwest Florida for 10 years.

I've lived in Knoxville, Tenn for 11 years.

When we first went on a recon visit to Chattanooga to see if we would like living in Tennessee, we were surprised that the temp and humidity were the SAME down in Southwest Florida, yet it seemed so much COOLER up in Chattanooga.

When we got back to Southwest Florida, we were surprised by how unbelievably sticky it was down there, yet it was the SAME temperature and humidity down there.

Every time we would go up to Chattanooga or Knoxville it would be the same temp and humidity, yet it felt so much more pleasant!

Finally, someone explained the dew point to us.

You aren't looking at the same dew point at say, Naples, Florida and Knoxville, Tenn.

Right now, in Knoxville, there is a dew point of 60 degrees.

In Naples, Florida there is a dew point of 74 degrees.

Let's break that down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

Scroll down to the chart. It should now make sense why the temp and humidity can be the same yet, get past Tampa and it feels like you hit a wall of water.

You want to move to Florida and think it's going to feel cooler, more power to you. But I wanted to clarify the situation.
Hi,

You re correct about SW FL, but I am l9oking and comparing Central East coast FL and in the Summer TN and that area were the same and at times TN was worse. Definitely not normal.

However my wife and I love to walk and in the afternoon in TN it is too hot and sticky yet where we were in FL on the beach we could walk with no issues. The beach, Atlantic side, is the key and avoiding South FL like the plague. Kinda like comparing Memphis to Knoxville, when using Naples and South West Fl (Or SE FL) to here.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Hi,

You re correct about SW FL, but I am l9oking and comparing Central East coast FL and in the Summer TN and that area were the same and at times TN was worse. Definitely not normal.

However my wife and I love to walk and in the afternoon in TN it is too hot and sticky yet where we were in FL on the beach we could walk with no issues. The beach, Atlantic side, is the key and avoiding South FL like the plague. Kinda like comparing Memphis to Knoxville, when using Naples and South West Fl (Or SE FL) to here.
This is exactly my point. In post after post you compare weather, allergies, pollutants, yet Tennessee and Florida are very large states. Be specific!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:04 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
By definition, if two places have the same temp and humidity, then they have the same dewpoint. Warmer air can hold more moisture. The dewpoint is just the temp at which your current amount of moisture would produce 100% humidity. Florida is typically more humid than Tennessee though. Other factors, beside heat and humidity, that may affect how hot/cold you feel include shade vs direct sun and wind temp. East Tennessee will definately get less sun than Florida. Not sure about wind, though. In East Tennesse, you can also drive up a mountain and catch a break from the heat due to elevation. No mountains in Florida, of course.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
By definition, if two places have the same temp and humidity, then they have the same dewpoint. Warmer air can hold more moisture. The dewpoint is just the temp at which your current amount of moisture would produce 100% humidity. Florida is typically more humid than Tennessee though. Other factors, beside heat and humidity, that may affect how hot/cold you feel include shade vs direct sun and wind temp. East Tennessee will definately get less sun than Florida. Not sure about wind, though. In East Tennesse, you can also drive up a mountain and catch a break from the heat due to elevation. No mountains in Florida, of course.
I've put up links to try to explain the difference, but I don't think people really understood it. I think this might be a much simpler explanation.

Dew point and humidity: What's the difference? | Dayton Weather

Old 10-02-2016, 12:50 PM

121 posts, read 162,183 times
They can say whatever they want but there is a big difference in the Dew Point here in Tennessee compared to Fl particularly in the higher elevation. We live on the Cumberland Plateau and while it can get warm and sometimes humid in the summer the dew point is much lower here than in Fl. I lived in SWFL for 40 years and in the summer all you had to do is walk outside in the summer and your glasses would fog over. That does not happen here. It was like walking into a brick wall some days stepping out the door down there.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:10 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
They can say whatever they want but there is a big difference in the Dew Point here in Tennessee compared to Fl particularly in the higher elevation. We live on the Cumberland Plateau and while it can get warm and sometimes humid in the summer the dew point is much lower here than in Fl. I lived in SWFL for 40 years and in the summer all you had to do is walk outside in the summer and your glasses would fog over. That does not happen here. It was like walking into a brick wall some days stepping out the door down there.
It's true the dewpoint is usually higher in FL. The reason for this is that the humidity (and temps) are usually higher there too. The dewpoint, again, by definition, is NOT an independent variable. It's only a function of temperature and humidity. Just like heat index. That is ALL it is

FWIW, I think sunny vs cloudy makes a huge difference in how hot I feel. Warm days are much more tolerable when the sun is behind an overcast sky.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:40 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
The dewpoint, again, by definition, is NOT an independent variable. It's only a function of temperature and humidity. Just like heat index. That is ALL it is
I don't think anyone here is saying anything different? Just that dewpoint is more meaningful, or easier to understand as it relates to that 'sticky feeling' than using humidity alone.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
One more reason that I won't shed any tears about leaving Florida for Tennessee. The track for hurricane Matthew has shifted significantly westward, and it now appears that it may come close to Florida or make landfall as a major hurricane. Having been here for the three storms in 2004, I have been hoping to get through my last year here without any problems. It is going to be an interesting next couple of days.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:31 AM

121 posts, read 162,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
One more reason that I won't shed any tears about leaving Florida for Tennessee. The track for hurricane Matthew has shifted significantly westward, and it now appears that it may come close to Florida or make landfall as a major hurricane. Having been here for the three storms in 2004, I have been hoping to get through my last year here without any problems. It is going to be an interesting next couple of days.
Good luck, I hope that storm doesn't cause any real damage there. What side of the state are you? Looks like the east side will bear the brunt of this. I went through several hurricanes living there 35 years. That is yet another thing that I do not miss about Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee