Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times

Advertisements

You people have no idea what it's like to do consulting work for a government bureaucracy or large corporation. The paperwork and hoops you have to jump through are mind-numbing. It is all but impossible for a basement-consultant to keep up with all the changes and demands.

If you had bid $500 on this project thinking you could spend 3 mins with MS Paint and be done you would have had to file bankruptcy before it was over.

I've been forced to sit through meetings where, if you added up the hourly billing rate of all the different people in the room, you would blow through $500 in 3 minutes or less (and the meeting lasted 2 hours, plus travel time, plus hotel rooms, plus expenses). And no, it wasn't my firm that was expensive. We're the ones who are often rewarded for how lean, fast, and efficient we are.

I still agree that $46,000 seems high, but it isn't too extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 AM

932 posts, read 899,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Anything can be recreated in 3 minutes. If you already know what the end product is, that's easy. The hard part is coming up with it from scratch and making sure it makes everybody happy and doesn't pose any trademark issues.

coming up with that logo from scratch took time? lol

Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
You people have no idea what it's like to do consulting work for a government bureaucracy or large corporation. The paperwork and hoops you have to jump through are mind-numbing. It is all but impossible for a basement-consultant to keep up with all the changes and demands.

If you had bid $500 on this project thinking you could spend 3 mins with MS Paint and be done you would have had to file bankruptcy before it was over.

I've been forced to sit through meetings where, if you added up the hourly billing rate of all the different people in the room, you would blow through $500 in 3 minutes or less (and the meeting lasted 2 hours, plus travel time, plus hotel rooms, plus expenses). And no, it wasn't my firm that was expensive. We're the ones who are often rewarded for how lean, fast, and efficient we are.

I still agree that $46,000 seems high, but it isn't too extreme.

I'm surprised the state doesn't have a couple folks in house who could do all this. Just a few projects like this each year would pay salaries + benefits for two designers/researchers. And they could do content creation for DOT and all the other departments. Hmm...

Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM

932 posts, read 899,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm surprised the state doesn't have a couple folks in house who could do all this. Just a few projects like this each year would pay salaries + benefits for two designers/researchers. And they could do content creation for DOT and all the other departments. Hmm...
Actually , they do. Why they didnt use their in house "Graphic Designers"? Who knows
--> Logogate: Tennessee has 8 graphic artists on state payroll, records show
Tennessee officials paid a private firm $46,000 to create a new state logo despite the fact that the state has eight graphic artists and designers on the payroll at an annual cost of $293,000, state records show.
http://watchdog.org/221098/tennessee-5/

Old 06-20-2015, 10:32 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Latest news.

Application for new TN state logo rejected | WJHL

Old 06-20-2015, 11:44 AM

107 posts, read 186,212 times
can we get our money back?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
If you think TN wasted money on a $35,000 logo, check this out:

http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slo...rand-statement
(Note: the survey is closed)

The Seattle Public Library paid significantly more (~10x) to give the public a choice of three logos, along with a name change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee