U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 AM

36,309 posts, read 37,000,412 times

Advertisements

Now that I have your attention...

Apparently, there is too much school absenteeism in Anderson County's 3 school districts. For those with kids, I have no idea how you will take this story but as a person without kids, I know that vandalism and petty burglaries are more pronounced in places where too many kids are hanging out and the parents don't know it or don't care. As a future resident, I like this proposal because it puts the burden on the parents through penalties to supervise their kids. I never understood how giving kids who don't want to be in school, more time off from school (suspension or expulsion), would be an effective remedy to the kid or the community.

There are 3 school districts in Anderson County (Oak Ridge, Clinton and Anderson County) where too many student unexcused absences could put the parents in the pokey (that's jail for those that don't watch old Jimmy Cagney movies). The new policy has been approved by all 3 on first reading. If it's approved on second reading, the penalties will go into effect in January.

Each kid gets 5 unexcused absences but on the sixth, it's off to juvenile court with the District Attorney involved.

The penalty can be anything from nothing to the kid being placed in the custody of the Tennessee Department of Children's Services with the parents paying child support to the state. The proposed attendance policy also states that the parents can be fined ($50 per day), given community service, or have to serve time in the county jail.

If you want to read the whole newspaper article and/or find out what the excused absences are, here's the link:

http://www.oakridger.com/stories/111006/new_119151528.shtml (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 19,969,300 times
That is already in place in many of the East TN school districts and has been for years. and it WORKS. They also have "alternative" schools for those that get suspended, they don't just stay home, they go to a bland, block building and do there class work there. (At least here in Washington County) I have heard other counties have similar programs.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 PM

359 posts, read 1,544,739 times
Yep, in place in Sullivan County.

Many times, the parents subtly encourage students to skip school and neglect their education. Hence, the rule.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:57 AM

36,309 posts, read 37,000,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLois View Post
Yep, in place in Sullivan County.

Many times, the parents subtly encourage students to skip school and neglect their education. Hence, the rule.
I like it. Of course, when your prison bunk mate brags that he's in the joint for armed robbery, you are going to sound like a weenie when you tell him you're there because your kid cut 5th period.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 AM

359 posts, read 1,544,739 times
Part of the problem of undesirable high school graduation rates (too low) is parent/family attitudes toward education. Maybe that's what they were thinking about when they made that rule/law.

I work in a high school and sure don't know the solution ....

Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 AM

7,280 posts, read 19,969,300 times
Folks, this thread is about TN school systems initiatives to keep kids in school and parents accountable, not about prisons. It's not that City-Data doesn't appreciate your post, we do! But please keep threads on topic of original posts, or start a new one. That way your point won't get lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee