Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 33,883 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am 23 years old and I have lived in Southern NJ my ENTIRE life. I am married to my best friend from high school and we have 3 beautiful little girls. We are looking for a great place to raise kids. I have never moved before so I am very scared. I was hoping that by posting this I could get some info on the towns and cities so that I won't be as scared when it comes moving day. I don't know if any one if familiar with Southern NJ, but in the past 5 years or so it has become very very expensive to live here. Unless you are retired or have a very good paying job, it is impossible to afford to stay. My home here is worth about $270,000. I am hoping to find a place near the mountains that is kid friendly and is cheaper to live than it is here. Please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 14,597 times
hey I am also leaving for the first time from southern NJ to move to TN & I too am scared!!! I have never lived anywhere but Jersey but for the same reasons you said I have to leave now. The traffic is unreal & the taxes are crazy! & now that the tolls are going up 800% over the next few years, I wont even be able to afford my commute to work which is 50 miles 1 way.
When are you planning on making your getaway? I am shooting for April/May & hopefully will get close to settling down a job & house when we go back in March. Depending on the area...but from what I see houses there are not too different from here..a little less but basically in the same range. Food in TN is way more expensive & you have to pay tax on food & clothes down there. Still though..property taxes are so much lower that it all makes it worthwhile. & no jersey shore traffic!!!! I cant wait to move!!!
So dont be scared...or 1 jersey girl to another...at least we can be scared together!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeywaigey View Post
Hello everyone! I am 23 years old and I have lived in Southern NJ my ENTIRE life. I am married to my best friend from high school and we have 3 beautiful little girls. We are looking for a great place to raise kids. I have never moved before so I am very scared. I was hoping that by posting this I could get some info on the towns and cities so that I won't be as scared when it comes moving day. I don't know if any one if familiar with Southern NJ, but in the past 5 years or so it has become very very expensive to live here. Unless you are retired or have a very good paying job, it is impossible to afford to stay. My home here is worth about $270,000. I am hoping to find a place near the mountains that is kid friendly and is cheaper to live than it is here. Please help!!!!
I moved from Manalapan, NJ to Nashville, TN . No mountains here but rolling hills. I love it here! The Nashville area has plenty to offer, theater, Art and all types of music, not just country.
I know all about Southern NJ, and compaired to cental and north its cheap.
Property taxes here are low. There is tax on food, but no state income tax, so your check will be bigger. I find the food here about the same price.
The Nashville Area has all the restaurants and more that you'll find in NJ
You can find affordable housing in many areas of the Nashville Area. You will also get more house for your money , and in my opinion a better contructed house. Idea's to see what is available, go to Realtor.com and search price, then search for Nolensville, Franklin, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Hendersonville. These are all in Nashville area with the first 2 being in Williamson County and second two in Rutherford County. They have good schools.
Anymore Questions feel free to PM me.
Diane G

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
What kind of work will you or hubby be needing when you get here? Do you prefer middle, central, east or west TN? What are your hobbies? Some more info like these questions will help the great folks on this forum give you better answers and maybe help you narrow down your choices a bit.
Welcome to the forum and hopefully soon, welcome to TN!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM

665 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeywaigey View Post
I also was from S.Jersey, near Toms River.I moved in Sept. to East Tennesee. I found homes were cheaper and my taxes are much lower. There are nice areas in TN , I know the peolpe who have lived here along time will help you.On this board they have been extemely helpful and friendly! My husband retired and came to TN , we no longer could afford NJ either.Dont be scared of moving here, peolpe are helpful and are nice! Good Luck!!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Well, I wasn't gonna say anything but since phyll chimed in I guess I will. Starting March 1st of this year anyone moving to Tennessee from New Jersey will have to take a mandatory farm animal identification and bovine safety class. From what I understand from the governor's administration they have contracted with a Mr. Alleycat to lead the educational efforts for the state. From what I have gathered the main teacher will be a Dr JMT. Those moving here prior to March 1 will be able to take advantage of the classes, but should contact our adult education coordinator, Mrs. Gemthornton, for registration. World renowned photographer LauraC will be providing photos for farm animal identification! The classes will culminate in a field trip to the Bones Homestead. knoxgarden will be offering extra credit for those wanting to tour the flower gardens and a special recognition will go to the student identifying the most flowers correctly. While there the class will be able to mingle with many big wigs from the Nashville music scene, courtesy of akm4. Hiknapster will be providing cable service so that these classes can be broadcast throughout the state. Unfortunately, mice get the animals riled up so we will have to ask mbmouse to keep the home fires burning at home. We had hoped that GoodbyeHollywood would be able to write our course description, unfortunately she is holed up freezing to death in her dirty house. We are looking for sponsors for the barbecue/graduation exercise. If you will be able to volunteer to help with that let us know.

If you would like to participate in this effort please sign up below and include your special talent(s). Please note, this is a pilot program! If successful, these classes will be rolled out to transplants from NY, FL, and other states.

Thanks for your support. And no moo-calling please!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 AM

665 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Well, I wasn't gonna say anything but since phyll chimed in I guess I will. Starting March 1st of this year anyone moving to Tennessee from New Jersey will have to take a mandatory farm animal identification and bovine safety class. From what I understand from the governor's administration they have contracted with a Mr. Alleycat to lead the educational efforts for the state. From what I have gathered the main teacher will be a Dr JMT. Those moving here prior to March 1 will be able to take advantage of the classes, but should contact our adult education coordinator, Mrs. Gemthornton, for registration. World renowned photographer LauraC will be providing photos for farm animal identification! The classes will culminate in a field trip to the Bones Homestead. knoxgarden will be offering extra credit for those wanting to tour the flower gardens and a special recognition will go to the student identifying the most flowers correctly. While there the class will be able to mingle with many big wigs from the Nashville music scene, courtesy of akm4. Hiknapster will be providing cable service so that these classes can be broadcast throughout the state. Unfortunately, mice get the animals riled up so we will have to ask mbmouse to keep the home fires burning at home. We had hoped that GoodbyeHollywood would be able to write our course description, unfortunately she is holed up freezing to death in her dirty house. We are looking for sponsors for the barbecue/graduation exercise. If you will be able to volunteer to help with that let us know.

If you would like to participate in this effort please sign up below and include your special talent(s). Please note, this is a pilot program! If successful, these classes will be rolled out to transplants from NY, FL, and other states.

WHAT no moo-calling!!!I have gotten good at MOOOOING since I would walk past all those scary cows ...., p.s.I worked as a toddler teacher many yrs, at graduation I can teach how to stay in line and staight too....

Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Will xtra credit be given for learning "cow tipping"?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Could you imagine what the accent will sound like on a Jersey girl after shes been in Tennessee about 8 years!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

But mice are such good cleaner upers and I am a good cheerleader.......I am gonna cry...no body loves me anymore waaaaaaa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee