Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:47 PM

31 posts, read 106,998 times

Advertisements

First question.. Is the smell in Kingsport that bad? Ive been going to Johnson City for about 30 yrs now on vacation and have never been to Kingsport. Last year was the first time I ever heard abt the smell, my cousins girlfriend was telling me about it. Second question...What can you tell me about Jonesborough? I will be working next to Tri Cites Airport how much of a commute am I looking at, how is traffic, how is the neighborhoods. I will be in Tn to live in January and cant wait...Thx Darryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,084 times
I've not lived up this way too long nor have I been to Kingsport often. But on here is the first I have heard about the smell. Just yesterday my husband and I were walking downtown there and we didn't notice any smell. I'm not sure exactly how far downtown is from the plant though. We did drive by the plant one time and in the car we could only smell something 'odd' for the time we were driving right by it.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Around here that smell is referred to as "the smell of economy" hahahha It is coming from Eastman Chemical plant. I drive from Gray, right past the plant, to my office in Kingsport everyday, some days I notice it, some days I don't. My co-worker who has lived here all her life never smells it. I guess after a while you just don't notice it anymore? I have no idea hahhahaha
Downhome, I am at the office now and don't have much time, been a busy week, but I will answer your questions about Jonesborough and by the airport very soon, promise! In the mean time, list everything and anything you would like to know, specific questions are always best. What are you looking for in a hometown?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 PM

243 posts, read 887,427 times
Wink Air Quaility

Hi, Since there is a chemical plant there what does that do to the air quaility?
What does the city do to keep the air in check? Here in Albuquerque we have many no burn days during the winter to help with the air. This means if you are caught burning your fireplace on a no burn day you will be fined. There are city patrols that go out looking for smoke comming from chiminey's when you are found you are presented with a ticket right then and there and it is hefty. Hopefully this happens in Kingsport too. It has really brought down the air pollution in the city.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:45 PM

86 posts, read 333,786 times
DownHome: I've lived in Kingsport for over 40 years, and in the past there were bad odors associated with the chemical plant located here. Emission control equipment has been installed that has eliminated most of the odors. As mbmouse mentioned, an odor can sometimes be detected when one drives by the plant, but most of the time there are no detectable odors in the surrounding area.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. MBmouse I'm looking for a little room to spread out. I have lived all my life with my neighbors about 15 to 20 feet from my house. I like my neighbors and all but I would like to be able to sneeze in my house with out them feeling obligated to say bless you. I don't want to live to far from work either. I know Johnson City is realtivly close for movies the mall and stuff like that. My cousin who live there is working on a place to rent for a couple of months so we can check areas out like Gray or Jonesbourough , Piney Flats or Bluff City. I don't think I want to live in J.C. Me and the lovlely wife have talked about what we want in a house but not really what we want in a town. I live in NJ which is so over populated it's sickining, and don't get me going on our taxes for my little piece of paradise I pay 3900.(I know people who pay between 6000. and 10,000 on there taxes) for a 50x85 foot lot a 3 bedroom 1 bath house abt 1200 sq ft and I'm probably being generous, a public school system I choose not to send my kids to. I do most of my socializing with friends from church or the kids school. I really only know the people that live right next to me and right across the street. So you've got me thinkin now.Thx again

Old 11-17-2006, 11:46 AM

86 posts, read 333,786 times
Downhome: If you will be working near the airport, you may want to check out a couple neighborhoods in the Kingsport area. Two neighborhoods I would suggest are the Indian Springs and Fall Creek areas. They are located east of Kingsport outside the city limits and are withing a 10-15 minute commute of the Airport. You will be able to find existing homes in these areas on one half to one acre lots and can probably find an existing home of 2000+ sq ft for $100-$200K. Property tax on a $100K home will run about $650 per year so you can factor up from that depending on the size home that fits your needs. You can find existing homes in both neighborhoods and generally you will find more new homes in the Fall Creek area. Just check with realtors in the Kingsport area and ask specifically about these neighborhoods.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Downhome,
I agree with Kpt, those are two good neighborhoods, there is also all of Colonial Heights that will fit your bill as far as house spacing and yet close enough for shopping and such. You mentioned kids and schools, If I were you, that would be the first place I would look. Check out the different schools, choose the one you like the best for what they have to offer for your children, then look for a home in that district. Whether you are in Gray, Colonial Heights part of Kingsport, Bluff City, or Pinney Flats you can get to the airport within a half hour, Jonesborough, you are looking at closer to an hour. As far as taxes, it is always cheaper to buy in county verses city as you will have both county and city taxes. If this is a preference, ask your Realtor to show you only county homes. Washington County is at a cheaper tax rate than Sullivan County. If you have any other specific questions, ask away! If you need any referrals or contact number for info before you get here, let me know, I'll see if I can get them for you. In advance...Welcome to TN neighbor!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Thx guys, I really appreciate the info. As of right now my kids are going to go to Tri Cities Christian which is also pretty close to the airport. How far away from the eastman chemical plant are the places that you mentioned and is there any smell. I will be looking right in the 200K range, I don't have to have new but really no more than 10 to 15 yrs old would be nice. An acre or more would also fit the bill. Just wondering but what do your property taxes pay for in TN? In NJ they justify outrageous taxes by saying it pays for education, when it is actually because were held hostage by corupt poloticians and a corupt teachers union. One article in the paper today said NJ is 3.3 billion in debt, another thing they are the leader in. Any way only six more weeks!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 07:23 AM

you can only smell Eastman right around the plant. Any only occasionally. You can go to http://www.comptroller.state.tn.us/ca/cacafr.htm (broken link) to see the annual financial reports of the counties.
Sounds like you should be able to find that kind of house in that price range based on what you said you are looking for. I am not one, but if you need a referral for a good Realtor, PM me.
Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee