Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 16,247 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I are relocating to East TN from Florida in the spring. We have visited Knoxville, and liked the area very much. However, we are also considering the Tri Cities area. I'm wondering how they compare, and which would be a better fit for us. My husband and I homeschool our three children, 15, 8 and 3. My oldest son is interested in engineering. We want to find a church, and be actively involved. I'm a nurse, my husband will bring his job with him. Plus we have a small inflatables business (bounce houses, etc..). We like to spend a lot of time outdoors. Culture is important to us. We enjoy music, symphony, museums, and other educational experiences for the kids. We were hoping to find 10+/- acres to have a mini farm on. That seems to be a hard find within 30-40 minutes of Knoxville. However, large lots seem common in the Tri Cities area. However, I have heard that Tri Cities isn't well off economically, and isn't growing much. That concerns me some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
There are arts opportunities in the Tri-Cities.

Symphony of the Mountains - Entertaining, Enriching, Educating
Mary B. Martin School of the Arts
Johnson City Public Art | Public Art in Johnson City, TN
Hands On! Regional Museum
Natural History Museum
National Storytelling Festival in Historic Jonesborough, TN
http://www.jonesboroughtheatre.com/
Home
http://www.baysmountain.com/ (one of the better planetariums I've ever been to... it far exceeds Seattle's, which I was just at)
Rocky Mount Historical Association :: Home
Tipton-Haynes Historic Site | "Tennessee

This is kind of off the top of my head. My gut advice is to find a job and work your life around that. That would be somewhat easy, since your husband can take his job with him. The medical sector is doing alright in Johnson City, but I would definitely suggest leading with your career and see where that takes you.

Depending on your eldest son's aspirations, engineering at UT Knoxville may be a good fit. It's a strong discipline at the university.

UT Knoxville | College of Engineering

Old 12-09-2015, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 16,247 times
My career isn't an issue, since I only work part time, and can ind a nursing job anywhere. I really want to be led by the culture and life style of the locations.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreak1 View Post
My career isn't an issue, since I only work part time, and can ind a nursing job anywhere. I really want to be led by the culture and life style of the locations.
My wife and I moved from CA to the Knoxville area. We checked middle and East TN including the Tri Cities area. We found Seymour to be a great location. I am not sure how easy 10 acres would be to find, but there are areas I suspect such would be available. Sevier County is best but part of Seymour (an unincorporated community) is in Blunt County and there is definitely some land there in the East part. I am about 20 minutes to downtown Knoxville, Sevier/Pigeon Forge and Maryville. Easy traffic and everything you need is easy to access.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
I would suggest the Maryville area, just to the south of Knoxville. Small town with a college and related arts. Also, not far from the suburban market (potential customers) for your inflatables business. I travel to Knoxville often, and while it's not much for a city (really is more suburban in character), it is very clean and has a healthy economy. The presence of a large university also provides new people to the labor force. Most of all (for me anyway) is the area's proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains park. Maryville is even closer to the park than is Knoxville.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:50 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Knoxville is better than the other cities mentioned. It's growing and vibrant. Knoxville is a lovely town and will provide the most educational experiences for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee