Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2006, 07:41 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am single and a baby boomer looking to find a city with lots of bookstores, coffeeshops, resteraunts and a historical city preferably with a riverfront........I love to ride my bike, and walk as much as I can. Not really into the mtn biking thing. Also, love diversity in a city! Lots of culture, college area and pretty reasonable cost of living!
Anywhere fit that? Tennessee or elsewhere that anyone knows of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
You have just described...Chattanooga!

Stunning, revitalized riverfront! Want art? The Hunter Art Museum sits on a bluff overlooking the Tennessee river. The art community is up there, also. University of Tennessee is there, also.

Chattanooga is one of the biggest success stories of the decade.

Google "Chattanooga" and prepare to be stunned.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:30 AM

257 posts, read 1,080,994 times
Default Hi

You are the second person to tell me that, what is the weather like there? What about property values, and cost of living?

Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,783 times
When I read the post, my first thought was Chatanooga too. Some of the other bigger cities of TN are trying to do something with their riverfronts, but Chatanooga has already done so. I haven't been there for a few years, but it is nice.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 PM

Default If you haven't been back in awhile...

You definitely need to go back. Chattanooga was declared the filthiest city in the country by Walter Cronkite in 1969. It is now one of the most beautiful. It serves as a city model and other mayors visit to see what to do.

Quite frankly, I do not know why it is not actively discussed in this forum. Perhaps it is because no one from there has a hidden agenda.

The only reason that we didn't move there is because there were not any auto mechanic jobs advertised at the time, and we had to make a fast decision. We had vacationed there. I had done extensive research.

Chattanooga just has an incredible vibe. What a city!

Old 11-18-2006, 07:33 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,949 times
Default Chattanooga

How bad is the crime? I have read it was pretty bad! Or are they cleaning that up also.......?

Old 11-18-2006, 07:34 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
hiknapster: Great positive comments. You need a higher reputation. Not really political, but guess that revival is one reason Bob Corker only Rep to get elected last week to Senate. We enjoy weekend stuff there.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Huh?

Could you be coherent?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:04 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
How bad is the crime? I have read it was pretty bad! Or are they cleaning that up also.......?
Depends on where you live in the 'nooga. There are certain areas I refuse to go into at night but I think that no matter where you were from, Manchester or Mars you would recognize these places. I lived in a suburb of Chattanooga all of my life and moved "across the river" into a more populated area. My whole family was shocked and worried! Well, the neighborhood is great and my neighbors are family oriented and close. We do have some rentals that I could do without but I think you get the picture. So what you hear is not always what you see. Do some research and find someone who can help you. Some of the worst areas in town are being rejuvenated and people are doing everything but selling their first born to get into them.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
You are the second person to tell me that, what is the weather like there? What about property values, and cost of living?
As far as the weather, depends on what you like. HOT and humid in the summer. COLD in the winter w/rare "sticking" snows in the valley. Go to weather.com and put in zip 37411. There is a place for average temps further down the page. We average highs around 90 and lows around 30. Property values are still holding and house flippers are going crazy. Cost of living is also relative. Average phone 45 cable 55 internet 25 gas 2.15. Natural gas spiked last winter to over $2 a therm but is $1.30-1.50. Electric is .07 per KWH.

I had family move here from Oregon and when they asked "How far away is XYZ?" The answer is always "15 minutes" We are centrally located. 1-1.5 hrs to Nashville, Knoxville, or Atlanta.

It's a beautiful town w/perks! Rivers, mountains, and lots of tourists so we have some great eateries and places to entertain friends.

The down side. It always takes me a minute for this one. Certain areas have some traffic issues. But anyone coming from a larger city would laugh at this. There are some seedier areas as all towns have. Also, unemployment ranges 3-7% but I hear lots of people complaining about finding jobs. I haven't found this to be true. If you really need a job, you can find one IMHO. We do have an increasing issue w/drugs but mostly in the outlying areas where they are grown/manufactured and not so much in Hamilton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee