Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 21,238 times

Advertisements

Hi I am wanting to move to Tennessee. Most likely either Nashville, Knoxville or Memphis. Anyway, I am disabled and unfortunately have to rely on SSI and Medicaid. I want to work and tried but had awful luck for so long. I'm sick but I want to try to work. Are there programs or something where disabled like me can work? How is healthcare there? I hear not good things about TennCare and that it's tough to get Medicaid and the ones who receive TennCare - healthcare it seems is tough for Medicaid recipients. Even still, I just hate it here now where I'm from and now I can see finally why so many hate where I'm from, diss and make fun of it etc. because as I just said I hate it here now too. Here where I'm from healthcare is so bad, it's very boring, and I can go on and on. Let's just say where I'm from we border Mexico and yea you'd probably guess Texas. Tennessee on the other hand I am so in love with it. It's so beautiful and there is so much more to see and do now and I have always wanted to live there. Thank you for your time and all .

Last edited by natntx; 12-25-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 03:03 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Hello. All of the areas that you mentioned are pretty different, and each of them has several surrounding smaller cities for lower-cost living as well.

Nashville is personally my favorite city of the three you listed. Nashville is centrally located, and has a variety of different neighborhoods to live in--the city itself is relatively safe and there is definitely a lot to do there so you would not be bored. It is about 2.5 hours W to Memphis and 2.5 E to Knoxville so would be convenient to those cities should you want to visit them. Nashville is probably best known for their country music scene, but there is a pretty large variety of good music in Nashville and lots of other culture. Living in Nashville is not super-expensive (depending on the area) but is even lower cost if you live in one of the many nearby cities such as Ashland, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Gallatin, etc. The traffic in some areas of Nashville can get a bit crazy during rush hour, but really no worse than any other sizeable city. Another nice part of Nashville is that there is a very diverse population there--some of the population is from various parts of the US and different parts of the world. The people are also very accepting of newcomers. The primary industry in this area is healthcare, and Vanderbilt University is located here.

Knoxville is located around the Great Smoky Mountain range and has a lot of outdoors appeal. There are quite a few activities in this region as well--watching plays in the Market Square, shopping at Turkey Creek, and of course the McClung Museum of Natural History. Knoxville is also close to other East TN attractions like Dollywood and such. While not as large as Nashville, there is still enough to do and it is a reasonably safe city for its size. The cost of living is relatively low in comparison to some areas, and some surrounding areas close to Knoxville are Maryville and Oak Ridge.

Memphis has quite a bit to do as well, and its population is about the same as Nashville's. Some areas of the city suffer from high crime rates, so be aware of your surroundings--just like in any unfamiliar area. Memphis has a great music scene, the Civil Rights Museum, Graceland, and the Memphis Botanic Gardens to name a few. There are many festivals and events going on throughout the year, so it is a lively city. Memphis is also well-known for its barbeque. The cost of living in Memphis varies depending on which area you live in--it can be very low or crazy high. There are many surrounding cities near Memphis: Lakeland, Collierville, Sommerville, etc. Memphis is close to the MS & AR borders, so you could also live in these states as well to be convenient to Memphis.

Something else to consider about living in TN: The sales tax is 9% with some cities adding on additional tax. Also, they DO tax groceries! Dios mio! Even my greedy home state of NY doesn't do that, lol. If you end up in Nashville, then you could get around this by running up I-65 to Kentucky for 20 minutes to get to Franklin, or 35 minutes to get to Bowling Green. Kentucky doesn't tax food...

TennCare: I know about this since some friends of mine had this and also helped others work with it. The insurance for adults covers medical & mental health care and requires you to pick a primary provider. The main complaint that I heard about TennCare was from my female friends--finding an OB-GYN who would take TennCare. Dental care is not covered. There are dental schools/community assistance programs that sometimes will take people with no insurance and offer low-cost/no-cost care:

University of TN (Memphis): 901-448-6468
Meharry Medical College (Nashville): 615-327-6669
Cherokee Health System (Knoxville): 865-544-0406

As far as for help with getting to work with disabilities, there are programs available from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation:

Vocational Rehabilation Services
Citizens Plaza State Office Building, 12th Floor
400 Deadrick Street
Nashville, TN 37243-1403
Phone: 615-313-4891
TTY: 615-313-5695
TTY (Long distance): 1-800-270-1349
Fax: 615-741-6508

There are other services that may be available depending on the specific nature of your disability that you can be referred to from vocational services. You can also check with the state employment office as well, since they also can help locate resources--in some cases you might be eligible for job training funds so it can't hurt to give it a try.

You also may want to look at Kentucky as well. It is very low cost of living, has a lower tax rate of 6% and has many beautiful areas. I have also lived there for several years.

Since you are from Texas, I guess I don't need to warn you about the hot, hot summers that TN has, lol.

Hope that some of this information has helped you out and good luck with your decision.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Living in Nashville is not super-expensive (depending on the area) but is even lower cost if you live in one of the many nearby cities such as Ashland, Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Gallatin, etc
When exactly was the last time you were in Nashville? Cost of living has really shot up the past couple of years.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
If you're living on SSI you can't afford to live in a city. You need to be in a more rural area. The problem with that is the reduced priced apartments and other housing of that type usually has a long waiting list. There is always GoLSN (look up the website, don't think I'm allowed to post links here??). People do weekly rentals that are quick and easy to get into, but you're going to wind up in a crummy trailer. As a temporary leaping off point it wouldn't be too bad.

The only place I have experience with though is the middle TN area, Warren, Van Buren, Putnam, Cumberland, etc counties. My husband has two terminal illnesses and finding a good doctor has been a complete nightmare. His primary care is phenomenal. Finding a neurologist though? Forget it. Nightmare.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I understand your desire to move here. We came up from south Florida and don't regret it. Don't always agree with a lot of things that go on here and have issues with the small town good ol boy politics, but over all, it was a good decision to come up.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 PM

412 posts, read 451,484 times
Just so you know, Tennessee taxes are regressive. They hit the poor proportionally more than the wealthy.

Fed study: Tennessee has most regressive tax system | Times Free Press

Food, as has been mentioned, is subject to a sales tax. Simply figure it will add 10% to your grocery bill. Same for your clothing. There is an annual sales tax holiday for certain items, but it isn't something that you should count on.

Tennessee also has a state lottery. It is played disproportionately by the poor and uneducated. It benefits everyone who does not play the lottery. If you move here, not playing the lottery is the best bet of all.

And remember, Remote Area Medical actually provides medical aid to some Tennessee counties because of poverty and a horribly deficient state medical assistance program. Tennessee's legislators should be utterly ashamed of this. Should be, but they aren't.

You can check RAM's website for its Tennessee schedule. Last year, I know one of the places it set up with at the fairgrounds in Knoxville.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Just so you know, Tennessee taxes are regressive. They hit the poor proportionally more than the wealthy.
I come out better paying 10% on food and clothing than I would paying 6% of my income to the state. As someone of modest means I limit my spending, and I'm more concerned about how much actually comes out of my pockets as opposed to what proportion of taxes I'm paying compared to the wealthy.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I come out better paying 10% on food and clothing than I would paying 6% of my income to the state. As someone of modest means I limit my spending, and I'm more concerned about how much actually comes out of my pockets as opposed to what proportion of taxes I'm paying compared to the wealthy.
The OPer won't be paying income tax anywhere since they don't (says cannot?) work.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM

412 posts, read 451,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
The OPer won't be paying income tax anywhere since they don't (says cannot?) work.
Exactly.

My response was tailored to the OP's specific stated circumstances.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natntx View Post
Hi I am wanting to move to Tennessee. Most likely either Nashville, Knoxville or Memphis. Anyway, I am disabled and unfortunately have to rely on SSI and Medicaid. I want to work and tried but had awful luck for so long. I'm sick but I want to try to work. Are there programs or something where disabled like me can work? How is healthcare there? I hear not good things about TennCare and that it's tough to get Medicaid and the ones who receive TennCare - healthcare it seems is tough for Medicaid recipients. Even still, I just hate it here now where I'm from and now I can see finally why so many hate where I'm from, diss and make fun of it etc. because as I just said I hate it here now too. Here where I'm from healthcare is so bad, it's very boring, and I can go on and on. Let's just say where I'm from we border Mexico and yea you'd probably guess Texas. Tennessee on the other hand I am so in love with it. It's so beautiful and there is so much more to see and do now and I have always wanted to live there. Thank you for your time and all .
I read that as the OP will be trying to find at least some kind of work, but I also wanted to point out that the higher sales tax rate is not the be all end all to the tax situation here and there are other things that may have more importance to some people in the grand scheme of things.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:21 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
That's so true, Dubble T. I was shocked when I went to Missouri & they taxed food. BUT, everything costs so much less than here in Minnesota that it certainly compensated for the tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee