Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I didn't arrive in East Tennessee until mid-May last year and then I was getting settled in for two weeks or so and "missed the Spring."

When do you usually start to see your first flowers along the roadway and what flowers/flowering bushes are they? For example, when I used to live in the NE, forsythias were the earliest bloomers you used to see along the highways and they only lasted a short time. We saw them as soon as it started to get warmer, early March, I think.

Where are your favorite places to see flowers and when?

The other day when the temps got up to 68/70, I was thinking the trees may be fooled into blooming early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Ive seen daffodils as early as February. Its usually crocus, daffodils, forsythais, redbuds, dogwoods and the ever popular bradford pear. I am in Mid Tn tho so it may be different.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Smile Quince, Bridal veil

L.C. 2Mares pretty much hit the list, but two of the earliest that you asked about are QUINCE,(Texas Scarlett) fire engine Red, and White Bridal veil(Baby Breath). See these on hikes arounds farms, etc maybe not always on car roads.
Attach pic is the pink "Redbud" trees, great color buds right out of the stem of the tree, Then the Dogwoods will kick in.
. Usually something new every week. A species will have its Glory bloom,

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
L.C. 2Mares pretty much hit the list, but two of the earliest that you asked about are QUINCE,(Texas Scarlett) fire engine Red, and White Bridal veil(Baby Breath). See these on hikes arounds farms, etc maybe not always on car roads.
Attach pic is the pink "Redbud" trees, great color buds right out of the stem of the tree, Then the Dogwoods will kick in.
. Usually something new every week. A species will have its Glory bloom,
Those are beautiful and February? Really? Was that photo taken on your property I really want to see some color. I think the birds (the only things with any color outside right now) are sick of seeing me with my camera. I think I've got all of the winter and year-'round ones down pat.

I remember people talking about redbuds last year, now that you mention them, but I wasn't here yet and I didn't remember when everyone saw them. I looked at a photo of dogwoods so I can recognize them.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Redbuds and dogwoods are a little later in spring, but are relatively long lasting.

I have a beautiful crabapple in my front yard. It likes to bloom early. Some years I only get to enjoy it for a couple of days, other years the buds and blooms will last for a week to ten days or more. It depends on the weather.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
In years when we have had especially warm Februarys I have seen daffodil, but they will usually be covered with ice or snow shortly after blooming.

Quote:
Where are your favorite places to see flowers and when?
Personally, I enjoy the spring flowers on trail rides. Eastfork stables in Allardt has an annual wildflower ride. I cant recall the specifics, but several area parks have spring wildflower hikes.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
LauraC, are you going to be in Nashville anytime this year? If you are, I'd be glad to provide you with free passes to the Cheekwood Botanical Garden and Museum of Art.

Here's a link to their website: Home

Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
I had some February Gold Daffodils bloom a couple of weeks ago and I've got one early crocus open now. I think they are all thoroughly confused at this point. Late March, early April is when things usually start happening.
Head over to the UT Arboretum in Oak Ridge
The University of Tennessee - Forest Resources Research and Education Center (http://forestry.tennessee.edu/trailtours.htm - broken link)
They can let you know what wildflowers may be blooming.
Also check out the Smoky Mountain Field School offered through University of Tennessee. They have some wonderful programs, including some early spring hikes to see wildflowers or just to enjoy the forest in late winter.
Smoky Mountain Field School - 2008 Program Schedule

Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Daffies and crocus down this way already. I always have crocus in my yard. It's the first sign of spring and reminds me that it's gonna be warming up very soon

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
LauraC, are you going to be in Nashville anytime this year? If you are, I'd be glad to provide you with free passes to the Cheekwood Botanical Garden and Museum of Art.

Here's a link to their website: Home
That's very nice of you and thank you but I don't have plans to go to Nashville. I have an arboretum in Oak Ridge and there is IJAMS in Knoxville but I just have no concept of when you first begin to see flowers (live flowering trees and bushes) and what those flowers are. I know the Dogwood festival is in April so I assume that's when you first see those around peoples houses. The only highway I go on a lot is I-75N and that's only 1 -5 exits so I don't know what grows on the side of the road and again, I missed most of the Spring last year.

I want to make a trip to Roane Mountain, too. Someone previously mentioned in a prior post that there are wildflowers at Frozen Head State Park. I've been there before at the end of the Fall. Are there flowers along the Foothills Parkway? How about Cherohala?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee